Returns Scroll Stop Automatic mode

Hydraulic, wind, geothermal, marine energy, biogas ...Battery Charging by Wind Turbine

Renewables except electric or solar thermal (see sub-forums dedicated below): wind, marine energy, water and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal ...
Bricolo07
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Battery Charging by Wind Turbine

Unread Messageby Bricolo07 » 07/09/17, 22:39

Hello,

I have already created on this forum subjects about the self-construction of my wind turbine but there I want to stay more theoretical / school, I have quite a lot of question especially on batteries and storage of electricity.

I have a 3m diameter wind turbine mounted at 7m high, 2 100w electric motor DC are driven by x6 chain. Both motors have an anti-return diode so can not power, down I have a DC / DC converter 24V-> 13.8V, connect to a lead gel battery

- Why should the battery be charged at one time? There is a lot of wind in burst so for a second, the load is cut, is that a problem?
- In a little wind, the voltage only rises to 13v but amps come in the battery, does it abate it?
- The two motors that generate the current are the same, but does the fact that there are 2 interferes with the converter or the battery?
- What happens if two identical batteries are connected in parallel but one has more service than the other?

Thank you for your answers
0 x

izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Battery Charging by Wind Turbine

Unread Messageby izentrop » 07/09/17, 23:51

Hello,
No it is not necessary to charge a lead battery at one time.
It does not support deep discharges or overloads.
For overloads
  • Do not exceed 1 / 10 current capacity to ensure long life. For 200 W max power, provide a battery of 166 Ah (200 / 12 X 10) or provide a regulator.
  • Shut off the charge as soon as the battery reaches 13,8 V (depends on battery type)
And to avoid deep discharge, use must be cut to 11,5 v for example.

Is the DC / DC converter really useful? because it may be unnecessary losses. What are the characteristics of generators (not motors)?
0 x
Have reason to believe does not mean that we have reason to believe.
Bricolo07
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Unread Messageby Bricolo07 » 08/09/17, 20:47

thank you for your comeback
Yes I think the dc / dc is useful because it accepts 20 to 30 v input and regulates the output to 13.8v, on the notice it is marked may be suitable for the battery charge. Even the battery can not exceed 13.8v and I have put an 30v relay that directs the generator output to a resistor to prevent the wind turbine from riding when the battery is full.
- Normally when the battery is full and 13.8v is kept at its terminals, the amperes do not come in? ca is floating?
- My worry is that if the load stops all 3 min and restarts after a burst, does the battery generate?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby chatelot16 » 09/09/17, 20:58

it does not hinder the battery from being charged intermittently, there is only the total that counts ... provided not to exceed neither the maximum current nor the maximum voltage

the problem is that to charge up to 13.8v it does not really charge the battery has its maximum energy: for the electrical equipment one prefere a cycle of charge which rises to a higher voltage, a well determined time to fully charge ... with a load completely variable according to the wind or the sun one does not know to do a cycle of charge very precise therefore one is satisfied with this limitation has 13.8v and one does not take advantage of the entire capacity of the battery ... but it is not overloaded and is given a long service life

there must certainly be an intelligent charger capable of letting the voltage rise a little higher than 13.8 when it is useful ... but I let you look ... I do not know
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby izentrop » 10/09/17, 09:11

This is a small system, not exceeding the max current is easy.

With 200 W it must be around C / 10 of a battery of 166 Ah, so no current regulator, only a system that cuts the connection with the battery taking into account the end of charge threshold and possibly a switching on a brake resistor.
The threshold at the end of the load is actually to be adjusted according to whether a maximum load or a max.

No need for a DC / DC converter since even if the generator voltage reaches 30 v, the battery will absorb all the current and its voltage will only rise according to its state of charge.

This kind of circuit does all this

Uhh! almost, it lacks the cut of use to avoid deep discharge.
0 x

Bricolo07
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Unread Messageby Bricolo07 » 10/09/17, 09:40

Hello,
Very good remark of izentrop, in my tests I found that if you put a load (bulb or motor) on the output wind, it absorbs all the limitless intensity and the voltage fails to climb. On the other hand if you put a battery (capacitive) there is different, before 11v the wind turbine will be in freewheel because no power will be absorbed (perfect this will make him take the elan). It will continue to absorb while regulating the voltage that will rise gradually, by cons the worry it happened to 14v, the battery is almost full and less ampere returns therefore the voltage can climb suddenly, it is at that time the DC / DC (or other controller) is required.
Does it consume no more charging cycle?

I rephrase my question of the load intermittently, is loading with a variable voltage not exceeding 13.8v a problem?
All the systems I know (charger, alternator ...) keep the voltage at 13.8v, nor more or less.

You are telling me that loading to 13.8v limits the capacity but keeps the lifetime?
0 x
Bricolo07
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Unread Messageby Bricolo07 » 10/09/17, 09:43

At the DC / DC range, I could put a separator coupler with another empty battery, load the first and once it is full, load the second one to prevent the wind turbine from riding?
Since there is no battery empty, the voltage is regulated by itself.
A DC / DC limits the output?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby chatelot16 » 10/09/17, 11:17

everything depends what type of controller has 13.8v

we think of the serial regulator, which reduces the current so as not to exceed 13.8v and lets the voltage rise in the wind turbine

there are also parallel regulators: when the voltage of 13.8v is reached it does not reduce the current in the wind turbine: on the contrary it wastes the current somewhere, and leaves less for the battery ... until all wasted when the battery does not want any current at all

this principle of paralele regulator is very good for wind turbine because it does not let it get mad!

this principle of regulator is not often used because it produces a waste of energy ... but for a wind turbine the inconvenience becomes an advantage

Another advantage of the parallel controller is that there is no regulating element in series with the charging current: no loss of energy due to a voltage drop when the battery needs to be charged ... there are loss only when the battery is full

the circuit that wastes the current should not be directly in parallel on the battery, because it could discharge the battery even if there is no current produced by the wind turbine: one could think of an anti-return diode, but that does a trick in series and an additional loss, while the wind turbine already contains a rectifier that does the anti-return function

solution: put 2 rectifier: one for the battery and another for the regulator: it is so on that the regulator can only waste the current of the wind turbine and never empty the battery

another interesting trick for high power: power the washer alternatively: thyristors or triac are cheaper than transistors
0 x
Bricolo07
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Unread Messageby Bricolo07 » 10/09/17, 12:23

Thanks for these tips but what do you think of my last idea?
The optional DC / DC to see and put a splitter coupler to the 1 battery terminal, when it is full it switches to the 2 battery.
The waste you were talking about will be used to charge another battery, but be careful when it is full will be a problem.

I use a gel battery 6 cylinders and I would not want to shoot it with an unstable load, for now I am in test phase and I saw that it was advisable to load it cleanly with a real charger all the 10 loads wind to make him a bite reminder of his abilities
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby izentrop » 10/09/17, 22:52

This model includes a brake, is better that to tinker and put the second battery in // http://wellsee.cc/goods-220-WELLSEE+win ... 5+15A.html

Personally, I would do all the automatism with an arduino and 2 mosfets of power: one to switch the battery, the other for the brake resistor.

for another occasion, I had fun to make a demo to order a water valve in order to charge a battery via a pico-turbine pelton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7D69VpXGi8
0 x