Returns Scroll Stop Automatic mode

Ideas, inventions and innovations for sustainable developmentWood pellets for heating ...

Inventions and ideas for sustainable development.
Grelinette
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Wood pellets for heating ...

Unread Messageby Grelinette » 10/10/15, 15:22

I am surprised that we find more and more compressed logs reconstituted wood chips that are on sale, particularly in supermarkets.

The compressed buche wrote:The compressed wood can be used in all wood stoves, fireplaces (with or without insert) and in all types of open and closed fireplaces. However, compressed wood logs alter your heating habits, they contain little moisture, so they need less air to burn. Too strong draft may result in too rapid combustion. It is often advisable to control the air inlets to enjoy the high thermal efficiency of the compressed wood.

Burning will release the log of the pressure on in its manufacture. It expands slightly, it is important to position it behind the andirons to prevent it from touching the glass during combustion. The logs are easily breakable, when the fire started, breaking the first two logs improves the speed of heating.

Fire lights up the same way as for timber, simply have a fire starter and kindling, then arrange half wood pellets above the small wood. It is important not to put too logs in the fireplace, the compressed wood releases more heat than natural wood.
Calorific power

The calorific value indicated on the logs is the PCI or PCS. Many manufacturers talk about PC (calorific value) without specifying whether it is the PCI (lower) or PCS (upper). The latter is always higher but it does not correspond to reality, because it takes into account the latent heat of evaporation of water that is not returned in a stove or fireplace, unlike what happens in a condensing boiler.

The burning time of a compressed wood logs depends on its quality. It must be only in hardwood, dry (between 8 and 11% humidity only), preferably densified by compression, for the expansion of power for combustion. A poorly dried wood mobilizes an expensive portion of its calories to evaporate the water it contains. Therefore, the more damp the wood, the lower its calorific value. It is therefore very advisable to keep the timber well away from moisture.

Under these conditions, a good continuous fire suppose reload the home all to 2 6 hours.

More technically, the PCI is a unit of measurement to calculate the heat of combustion of a fuel material. It can result kilojoule per kilogram (kJ / kg) or kilowatts per kilogram (kW / kg).

1,7 kWh / kg to 60% humidity;
4,0 kWh / kg to 20% humidity;
4,4 kWh / kg to 11% moisture.

Wood density varies, the calorific value varies strongly.

The compressed wood energy balance is positive, unlike that of fossil fuels or electricity, which is always negative. This means that the timber can densified requires energy for its production. So 1 unit of energy consumed for production, restores 6 the granulated wood consumption; it restores 15 in wood chips.

What about this type of logs?

Moreover, it is now prohibited to burn garden waste because of fine particles, and waste disposal are under-dimensioned to receive all that excess vegetable waste (this is particularly a problem in my town). The main implementation solution is to grind the waste, which, on the one hand, reduces significantly the volume and on the other hand, produces chips used as BRF to amend the land of orchards and gardens.
We made clear brush in our neighborhood and clearing company left us several m3 chips.

Do you think it is possible to transform these chips heating logs, and how?

I read that to decompress the compressed logs for burning. I gather that the compression is primarily to facilitate the transport and storage of logs. It does not seem essential to provide a huge compression to make these logs, perhaps it would be sufficient to agglomerate the chips with a binder or a natural glue (eg. Wet flour).

A compression system can be simple with the principle of a lever that compresses a small volume of chips in a metal cylinder.
It seems you achieved?

here's a prototype : Mrgreen: :
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The pursuit of progress does not exclude love of tradition"

Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Ahmed » 10/10/15, 16:06

Your deductions are unfortunately not correct: the "densified logs" are under tremendous pressure, either in screw systems (continuous) or in hydraulic presses. It is a necessity to achieve bound particles through the merger of lignin: in fact, there is no difference in this respect between the densified log and pellet, only the size differs.

So the idea to make this kind of logs with pruning crushed handcrafted and modest compression means, is highly hypothetical, if not more ...
There are also constraints dryness and particle size not easy to meet these minimal conditions.
0 x
"Do not believe above all that I tell you."
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Ahmed » 10/10/15, 19:41

Precision: the deformation (expansion) during combustion is mostly longitudinal.
One note, the "compressed log" says:
... They contain little moisture, so they need less air to burn

I do not think it's very rigorous so express ... the opposite is one step closer to reality: wet wood is hard to burn and if you cut the draw, it does not go well .
A corollary of this observation is that the users of low-performing inserts complain when they are delivered with wood "too dry"; it is wood moisture that provides some form of regulation that the design of the stove does not ... : Lol:
0 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 10/10/15, 19:50

Yes, well said, this is bullshit ... The amount of air depends on the dry biomass (C and H). But it is true that with a wet product, "surventile" to stoke the fire ... And so we throw the calories by the fireplace!

Note that the humidity is synonymous with low-temperature combustion (burning water cooling) and thus poor combustion, with emissions of pollutants ... It is approaching scout lights with itchy eyes! An ecological disaster !!!

For BRF, two things:

- It is not very thick branches up to 6 or 7 cm, is this excellent product for gardening, a real treasure (which stimulates the fungus in the soil, so mycorrhizae, therefore fertility, outside ! due to cover the soil and prevent weeding / hoeing while preserving water) [I'll talk soon-on the wire: https://www.econologie.com/forums/jardiner-p ... 13846.html

- In the case of thicker branches, one will tend to speak of "wood chips" and there are boilers designed for this, unfortunately very expensive, but with an electronic control to reduce emissions to a level "acceptable" and allowing the automation ...

There are other "blunders": wood density is variable, but PCI is expressed in energy units / kgIt hardly depends on the wood (of the species). There is a small difference between softwood and hardwood (softwood having a slightly higher PCI, due to the presence of resin).

This is not very credible ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Ahmed » 10/10/15, 20:14

Yes, I was raised in the first reading the "blunder" on the calorific value compared between hardwood and softwood; I think it is voluntary and commercial, because lambda for users, there is confusion with what is true in terms of classiques.Il logs is easy to understand why this is not relevant in the case of pellets and densified logs: a piece of wood is a stack of small parallel tubes in hardwoods these tubes are very thin in significantly larger softwood, thus the amount of material is different, so the density.
Once compressed, this difference disappears necessarily ...
The resin is actually a plus and I add that conifers are richer in lignin which improves the agglomeration of component sawdust and their behavior over time: a German site put this advantage before claiming a proportion of softwood. .. other places, other customs ...
0 x

Grelinette
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Unread Messageby Grelinette » 11/10/15, 15:38

Thank you for your answers.

Large amounts of "coarse BRF" left by the clearing company will therefore not serve for our heating.

Too bad because we still have a lot on the field, and it is very easy to procure.

Besides clearing the company often re-contact me to see if it can still come empty a truck near my home: the refuse landfills, and there is plenty of room around my home (over 2,5 hectares of uncultivated land ). It also seems to me that this BRF, even rude, enriched well grounded because there are many plants coming out now while there were none before filing.

In addition many neighbors pick this BRF for their gardens, vegetable gardens and walkways to cover, and they seem happy as they look back in regularly!

That said, it would be interesting to recycle this BRF even rude, rather than empty in nature or for disposal.

(AhmedI had sent you PD, have you received? I did not have any answer).

I added, returning to the subject, these compressed wood logs (those Ascending sold in supermarkets and elsewhere) are they a good product with a good efficacy / price or not?
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The pursuit of progress does not exclude love of tradition"
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 11/10/15, 16:18

Let us:

- If that is mostly branches - or young trees that have not exceeded half a dozen cm trunk diameter - which are ground, it's "almost BRF" or the "BRF" ..

- Except that the trunks or large branches, but rather of the wafer.

The BRF, by its constitution, and inputs (sugar stored by plants in the living wood - sapwood), decompose quickly enough, they borrow a few elements to the ground (as they themselves are rich enough " feed "the organizations that break down) and bine spur, they cover the ground (no weeds or little, little evaporation; no smearing by the rain ...). The BRF is very positive!

The plate remains a contribution (lean) because it consists mainly of lignin, difficult to break. poor materials (especially nitrogen), decomposition will cause soil organisms to borrow nutrients to the soil to grow themselves (after all, they have much to eat, but not all!). There will be a "depressive effect" the / first (s) years.

In the long run, the items "borrowed" will be released again! This is not a loss.

The wafer as the BRF, will have a very positive role as ground cover.

Both will also undergo a phenomenon humification linked to the lignin content. This humus production will TRSE a favorable role on the ground: the structure stabilization, increased capcité to fix nuytritifs elements augmenttaion capacity to retain water ... Soon, in 2 or 3 nas, appoaraissent of "blackish streaks" sign of this humification.

In summary:

- BRF has fewer adverse effects and further enriches the soil with nutriftis elements (that is that the "living wood")
- The plate can have a depressive effect, the fact that there is some "dead wood", but this is only temporary
- Both are excellent ground covers
- Both are on the medium / long term, very positive, because of humification
- Both are very positive on the stimulation of fungi in the soil, which plays a big role extractors minerals and may associate symbiotically with the roots (mycorrhizal)

Besides, for clearing, it is usually a product "between the" we. It is thinner than a forest. And it's bigger than waste sizes of trees / shrubs ...

So above all, go for it! This is gold bar for gardens.

If the depressive effect is too strong, can be corrected by lawn mowing inputs (nitrogen rich!), In thin layers on top (to prevent fermentation). Several times if necessary.

PS: I would like him to me for my blackjack "garden more than organic no-till"! I put in layers of about 20 cm thick.

The only negative thing: where is covered with BRF, the seedlings are difficult. The lifting is irregular. There is an anti-germ effect of decaying wood (in any case, if one works with thick layers). I therefore reserve the BRF part to perennial plants (shrubs - raspberry and other red fruits, strawberries ...) and installed as vegetable plants (tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, cabbage, etc ...). Seedlings, I make them in hay.
0 x
ARMAND
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Unread Messageby ARMAND » 11/10/15, 16:29

Regarding the mandatory composting to recycling centers instead of prescribed fire, I want to clarify that it is also an excellent system for crypto spread diseases and other fourrageux inconvenience. I see from the compost the dead cypress canker, I would be surprised that composting is a solution especially as he was advised, with just amha reason to burn the wood supporting this type of disease ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby elephant » 11/10/15, 19:58

yeah, or coniferous cuts: Compost stinks acid is less fertile ....
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby chatelot16 » 11/10/15, 21:22

the advantage of compressing trash timber to make buche is that it can burn in a fireplace with a simple wooden natural draft

home I grinds wood and brambles ... it can not burn in a fireplace logs made for, it's too late it cuts the draw ... but with a kind of forge souflerie fire that burns well

This way any ground is convenient because it is easy to store and easy to feed a fire with it ''s just the desiré power, easier than fueling with various recovery of wood that will never burn as wants

my method allows any shred of burning fast enough green wood: the milled wood stored in large heated mass by fermentation of a certain part of that is green: it dries quickly all

if there was too much too green trash it could rot without dry but melangant green and wet trash in the driest wood that makes a sufficiently dry resulat to keep well

for me it simply crushed wood is the fuel of the future better than the pelet because easier to manufacture, only drawback, bulkier than pelet for the same energy

Another problem, the majority of mills are simply an irregular result with lots of pieces that would block too long in the system of alimention style pelet

I sui working on a home power system that really tlore anything! it simply rejected what is not happening but never stops: just repaser in Boyeur that the power system refuses
0 x

Back to "ideas, inventions and innovations for sustainable development"