Wood pellets for heating ...

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
lilian07
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Compressed logs for heating ...

by lilian07 » 10/12/16, 11:42

In my opinion the paper whatever its form for combustion will always be bad and polluting. Better to recycle by isolating much more effective in this area of ​​advantage upstream of the need.
Besides, I am Chatelot's analysis of pellet too technical and therefore too industrial and too complex, like the compressed log. I imagine that a simpler, more rustic machine that would accept a large number of forms of fuels would be too gigantic to be feasible or profitable. In this area I can not see better than wood chips with the constraints and ecological footprint that we know. Finally I will always associate this last system in addition to another heating more virtuous and especially as a last resort.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/12/16, 14:07

Yes, I had experimented with "papercrete": it is an interesting material and it is indeed more productive to use paper to conserve calories than to produce them, but the practical application is, unfortunately, not always possible.

I must specify that in this project, it is more the design, then the realization of the apparatus to make the logs of paper that the use of the latter which interests me ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 11/12/16, 18:54

The manual paper briquette press that I bought at a flea market did not compress very well, so I upgraded it:
presse.jpg

A fall of wood, threaded rods, some nuts and washers, a car jack and voila! It compresses much better and it can be used for other applications.
For now, I made briquettes of food packaging cartons (kind of pasta box, frozen pizzas ...) that I spend in a shredder before they are soaked.
Level combustion quality is not great, it leaves a ton of ash but hey, it burns, it's free and it gets rid me.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/12/16, 20:42

Well thought and simple improvement!
I emphasize the care given to details: the rubber studs below the set and the tank designed to prevent splashing and collect the rejected water ... 8)
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 11/12/16, 20:54

Petrus wrote:presse.jpg
A fall of wood, threaded rods, some nuts and washers, a car jack and voila! It compresses much better and it can be used for other applications.

The idea of ​​the car jack is excellent!

I'm going to start and do the same press as yours, with a jack 5 tons and try a pressing of my chips ... on an experimental basis. I just have to find a box strong enough to accommodate the wood chips. At worst I will have it made by an ironmonger ... (Ha la la, that experimental DIY interesting to do! ... I already have no time to finish my crafts in progress (you remember my trailer electric-assisted bike), and here are others in perspective.
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/12/16, 23:03

I highly doubt the success of this test, but you should use a round tube of a good caliber as a "box": this is the most solid to contain the radial thrust because of its geometry. The vertical thrust is on the bottom which does not need to be solidly attached to the tube (even simply juxtaposed) ...
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 13/12/16, 15:01

Ahmed wrote:... you should use a round tube of a good caliber as a "box": this is the most solid to contain the radial thrust due to its geometry. The vertical thrust is on the bottom which does not need to be solidly attached to the tube (even simply juxtaposed) ...

Thank you for the idea of ​​the round metal tube, quite simple to find in a metalworker (a fall). Even 5 cm in diameter should be not bad and improve the compression: the compressed logs of the market are barely 8,5 cm in diameter.

I thought to add a binder to agglomerate the chips and overcome the lack of pressure enough to fuse the natural lignin wood. Since most of the chips come from softwoods (Aleppo pines), it is possible that the abundant resin contained in the wood (depending on the season of cutting) can agglomerate the chips in little bits.
Case to follow! ...
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/12/16, 19:28

I would take a much larger diameter, which would have three advantages: 1- introduction of the material easier (especially since it is not very small fragments); 2- more important production per unit (makes it possible to valorize the force of the jack, powerful but rather slow); 3- less handling and better fire resistance due to greater unit volume.
The binder could be paraffin (?) ... The resin should not bring more cohesion ...
0 x

Go back to "Innovations, inventions, patents and ideas for sustainable development"