Returns Scroll Stop Automatic mode

Agriculture: problems and pollution, new technologies and solutionsWhere do you buy your seeds?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Where do you buy your seeds?

Unread Messageby fabio.gel » 28/01/18, 09:57

Hello

After testing several seed suppliers (biocoop, carouf, casto, gardening ...), I realized that some packages bought did not give much or really ridiculous. This year before sowing, I turn to you to know

Or do you buy your seeds?

Thank you for your answers.

Fabio
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....

Did67

Re: Where do you buy your seed?

Unread Messageby Did67 » 28/01/18, 10:23

I will surprise: "anywhere".

It is rare that commercial seeds do not "work". They have deadlines, with large margins (when one has sachets, at home, whose date is exceeded, one can generally still sow - to qualify for open bags, in principle, in the trade, one does not find none).

So I have 0,39 sachets from Norma or Lidl ... But also more specific varieties from Sainte-Marthe, Magellan, Germinance or Fabre.

And more and more, mine own (for all non-hybrid varieties).
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Unread Messageby denis17 » 29/01/18, 11:29

A bit like that for me too.
Last year, big order at magellan, a little seed collection from friends, and the rest at brico market.
As I still have seeds from last year, this year, I made a supplement to the farm of St. Martha, for the rest, I will return to brico.
And for info, I myself do all my seedlings.
Denis
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby sicetaitsimple » 29/01/18, 12:02

Until last year I did very little sowing in terrine or pots, and sowing in the garden either vegetables that do not transplant (radish, carrots, ...), or "big seeds" (beans, small peas), plus some nurseries of bare root transplanting salad. As a rule (except carrots!) No problem.

In 2017 I started in pots and terrines, with sometimes contrasting results but in my opinion the quality of the seeds was not in question, rather the quality of the gardener! By analyzing certain failures, the minimum germination temperature was often involved, it is not always very clear on the bags.

The biggest comes from Leclerc (brand Eclor) simply because that's where I usually go shopping and the prices are very affordable compared to a garden center, with some exceptions such as the "Cressonette of Morocco" I love it but it is not easy to find in the store that comes from Ferme St Marthe and then, like everyone else, I think of the bags bought from here and there at the chance of passing in front of a gardening department.

But I agree with previous opinions, if it shit must not first think about the quality of the seed!
0 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 29/01/18, 12:19

sicetaitsimple wrote:
the minimum germination temperature was often involved, it is not always very clear on the bags.

In fact, we find very variable indications for the same species. When we find some.

It is also a matter of appreciation: the temperature at which some seeds germinate very slowly is not the same as the one at which 90% seeds germinate in a few days! "Minimal" is a bit ambiguous.

I think that in general, the tendency is to sow too early and too deep ...

When we go to summer and drier soils, another trend: do not "sink" enough (rising moisture capillarity) - it often happens to me to walk in the furrow! [the obsession with the "seedbed" which must be furniture according to the words; to heal this fake-evidence, observe a "pressed mound", common today for plants in gardening: it's "concrete"!]
0 x

sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby sicetaitsimple » 29/01/18, 12:38

Did67 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
the minimum germination temperature was often involved, it is not always very clear on the bags.

In fact, we find very variable indications for the same species. When we find some.

When I said "not always very clear", it was a understatement!
0 x
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Unread Messageby fabio.gel » 29/01/18, 19:01

Thank you for your answers.
Ya more ka
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....
Photnat 61
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Unread Messageby Photnat 61 » 29/01/18, 22:04

Hi,

I harvest + in + my own seeds, otherwise, I get myself at: The Good Seed, Seeds Bocquet, Kokopelli, Ferme Sainte Marthe and Lidl. I also participate, regularly in the different barter of regional seeds.
Lucien
0 x
green68
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Unread Messageby green68 » 23/02/18, 21:04

Hi,

Mostly at Lidl for convenience, if not those given to me by my neighbors in the kitchen garden and of course on my own seeds.
0 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Unread Messageby Stef72 » 24/02/18, 09:34

on my side I take my seeds from friends, and I complete with germinance because they are my region, so I tell myself that the conditions are closer to my garden that if I ordered them in the south of France for example.

I try to do the maximum with non hybrid seedling because I like to let go to seed and exchange with friends;)
1 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"