Returns Scroll Stop Automatic mode

Agriculture: problems and pollution, new technologies and solutionsLe Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Unread Messageby Did67 » 24/05/14, 17:41

Edit by Remundo 13 / 07 / 2016
Changing the title:

"Gardening more than bio-till without fatigue?" GOING 'Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio "

[Edit the 11.12.2016] A summary of this thread - become very long - is online on another thread:

agriculture / the-garden-of-the-lazy-summary-t15042.html

The direct link to the Excel file: https://framacalc.org/4swDi7EPa1

-------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Go on another thread, 1360 gently reminded me that some expected returns. It motivated me.

State flu today, no strength to act, then a little time to fight with the computer - which, as you know, is not my area of ​​excellence !!!!

So listening "Olds ideas" old Cohen [which proves that you can age well and will "find"] ...

The photos above are all in the same part of my garden I recall the past; this is only part of my "expeditions" we will call to navigate, the expedition "hay"

1) in living memory, it was a natural meadow. It is rather a dry meadow at the top of slope, south-west facing, so the sun "bangs" not bad; shallow soil - Depth spade, one slap on pebbles ...

It is located 340 m. It was therefore about to 10 15 days behind the plain of Alsace.

2) July 2013, + mowing hay harvest (a farmer)

3) August 2013: recovery of round bales of hay bad, held on the grass began to push; Double thickness before compaction, it should do about 30 cm hay ... The area you'll see (about 60 m²) was covered with a large round ball

Winter is spent on it. Doing nothing, of course.

So everything I realize here is played from this spring, early without NO TILLAGE. NI BECHE. OR PICK !!!

A) Planting

It is well known (and this is substantiated scientifically) that decomposing organic matter, fresh, has an anti-germ effect. At least in the case of woody material (wood, brush ...; to check for the cellulosic material). This is what explains, with the absence of light, this spring, everything is "clean" [well almost, we shall return!]

So I thought I sow in rows after "open" hay, which is now packed (a few cms thick), only the necessary width at planting and emergence: about 2 cm wide (or "3 fingers").

So I stretched a measuring line [Update: Today, I cut along a plank, which retains and "stuck" hay]. And released the big kitchen knife. [Updated 2015: I now use a bread knife with notches ; hay is cut much more easily

To rule a little better, and avoid close contact between the decaying matter and my seedlings, I used a small hand claw 3 teeth and went behind:

[UPDATE 2015: there is even less of a weed that the groove is narrow; so I perfected time between the system: instead of cutting a furrow and open with "3 teeth," I cut two equally spaced furrows 3 cm max; I gently removed the hay without damaging the net cutting edge; I tightened the two back teeth, they may turn into the groove without moving hay remained in place between rows; I spread ; I pass; I cup if the soil is dry - never if it is wet, not "concreting"]

Especially do not put hay on the sown furrows, of course, since it is this coverage that blocks the germination of weed! This would block the same way the lifting of vegetables planted.

So now, with a board, pruning shears and a wheelbarrow, my only garden tools:

I then sown. And as I experience, I covered thinly (about 1 cm) in two ways:

- Commercial potting soil (with two bags 7 or 8 euros, I made half a dozen lines / m length about 10

- The land of molehills, collected (as enjoy their work, it is a good loose soil)

[Updated end 2015: I used neither one nor the other; the soil is an unnecessary expense - the money, it is also the work: it is the result of time spent working under job! -; Earth molehills generates excessive exercise of weeds; the best is to sow directly into the ground as it is; I do not do that!

The result, photographed date:

Last edited by Did67 the 08 / 01 / 16, 12: 35, 7 edited once.
2 x

Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 24/05/14, 17:43

Observing the following very quickly showed me that it is the opening of the plant cover that leaves a chance for weeds.

So I asked whether we could transplant directly through the cover, without "open".

This is the following.

B) transplanting test directly through the hayWithout "open": it works!

So I removed the plants sown in row planter, a hole, and presto, it's over.

That's what happens today:

Advantage: no "zone" where land is bare and where weeds will germinate!

To validate the time, but I recommend sleep and already!
3 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Ahmed » 24/05/14, 17:54

I have only one word to describe your success immoral! : Cheesy:
1 x
"Do not believe above all that I tell you."
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 24/05/14, 17:55

C) Plant bulbs

Following my planting, my wife had planted the bulbs (onions, shallots), you see above, using the same method of opening furrows.

When I saw that this "opening" was a window to the weeds, I wondered if the "anti-germ" effect applied to bulbs.

So I bought some shallots I planted directly in the planter, through hay, without doing anything else.

Here is the result [attention planting date is delayed for at least 15 3 days or weeks; not compare the vegetative development]

One can immediately see that:

a) there is no adverse effect

b) it is much cleaner!

So now, what will be the method "bulbs" and "transplanting": directly, through the hay without "open"!

NB: literature and "they say" recommend never putting bulbs after organic manure, it would promote rot. [Update: 2 after harvest, I confirm that my bulbs keep well!]

So please wait for the end of this expedition! If it is, this summer everything will be rotten !!!
Last edited by Did67 the 06 / 01 / 16, 17: 37, 2 edited once.
0 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 24/05/14, 18:05

Conclusions ???

Provisional !!!

1) My garden is at least as beautiful as when I was getting tired. Probably more .... And do not fuck a train is exciting - especially when you love the challenge! [We pass a little mad when you place a bale of hay and explaining to the neighbor than it is to the garden]

2) However, two obstacles:

a) the birds come and scrape cover the seedlings ...

They are dipping quickly that there are worms in shambles! [Doing a lot of work!]

Two solutions or 3:

- a cat ? but how to tie there ???

- A net to cover ??? This is what recommends Soltner [Update: this year 2015, I had to put nets]

- Board behind the birds with a rake grass and rediscover; takes some time, but is not a big job; that's what I did.

b) voles!

(I guess that's right); they find ideal conditions, away from the cover ...

So they put the bazaar, cover seedlings ...

Later, they will go after the harvest. Here is an example, a picture of my BRF test last year:

For the moment :

a) trapping was a total failure; they do not care about my face, pass next ... I tried two kinds of traps.

[Update: I have since discovered effective traps; to see further]

b) I saw with pleasure a kestrel falcon flit in the neighborhood

c) and also neighborhood cats

d) I practice Buddhism: to the extent that gardening does not ask me a lot of effort, why not share with them ??? grow twice surfaces and one is left ???

Yes, but if they take all ????

[Update: this is what happened in 2014: 24 on planted celery, no crop - not one! All bloated]!

Will there be a balance with their own predators ???

So I act feebly, keep a little and we'll see ...

3) Slugs

At this stage, does not seem a major problem, or "superior" to what I knew at that point I was working the floor.

The garden is surrounded by meadows, I always had slugs.

But I still saw "beetle" (golden beetle?), Their enemy ...

It is only critical at planting. There all can spend!

I did a treatment Ferramol at planting. Seen in carrot rows at one point, after the hot dry period, the rains returned, everything would go there soon! There was an involuntary thinning by slugs!

The Ferramol is a ferrous sulfate. The Sulphur and iron are trace elements that plants need. For many plants, it brings sulfur (crucifer) or iron (in case of chlorosis - yellowing leaves, with just the veins which remain green, a sign of iron deficiency).

This cuts the appetite for slugs. They do not die "drooling". So observe the disappearance of grains to see if there still. Do not look drooling!

My goal is to avoid intake of anything, including products registered "bio" (read some of my discussions with some about the bio dogmas; I am for the bio, but my ambition is to best, so the "more than organic" on the basis of cyclical and natural agriculture. to my delight).

But Ferramol, unlike copper compounds - toxic - for me, a product quite acceptable. Its only drawback is loved and not last!
Last edited by Did67 the 06 / 01 / 16, 17: 42, 2 edited once.
1 x

Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Ahmed » 24/05/14, 18:33

Literature and "they say" recommend never putting bulbs after organic manure, it would promote rot.

There are probably a big difference between your intake of hay and manure rich in nitrogenous materials.
0 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 24/05/14, 18:52

Yes. That's what I thought too. Otherwise, I would not have tried 100% of my production on this area.

However, hay is richer than straw. Which is more than mulch shrub ...

That's why I "benefits" of this windfall: besides the issue of no-till / keep the soil covered, it also goes into my scheme of "horizontal transfer" of fertility. In particular for elements other than nitrogen.

The overall concept I described above, I believe:

a) a zone "legume fallow" - in this case the Egyptian clover; fast growing, gélif winter ...

In this zone, "recharge" the ground of natural nitrogen.

b) an area BRF; once established my cycles, it will come after the clover; BRF will "immobilize" the excess nitrogen (the famous "depressive effect") for the "release" then progressively.

This is the area of ​​mushrooms - extracting minerals.

This is the humification of the area; production of stable humus from lignin.

By putting on clover end of life, I maintain food for earthworms.

c) cleared by hay conduct; takeover after perennial crops (raspberries, strawberries) or "infested" areas are treated hay as described above; intense earthworm activity; choking weeds with a few exceptions (including the bulbous rhizome and few plants and plantain ... and cleavers!) ...

These exceptions, given the very good soil structure, tend to sell well, without "breaking" ... Pulling manual represents a limited work, and is "passing" ... Like almost everything comes, it is very effective ...
Last edited by Did67 the 11 / 11 / 14, 12: 01, 1 edited once.
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Unread Messageby Ahmed » 24/05/14, 19:43

It probably adds another consideration: the hay intake is the surface which is not comparable to the incorporation of manure.
Anyway your experiments are very interesting.
0 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 24/05/14, 22:18

I reminds that this thread is from another which was asked how to make it easier tillage ...

I then asked, "but why tillage ???"

The pictures seem to bring an early answers!

"For tiring for not much! All because we always said we had to do that!"
2 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 24/05/14, 22:25

One of the biggest jobs is to remove the hay birds, scratching, projected on seedlings germinating.

I found the picture:

This is chewy who did not lift, but found herself covered with hay ...

So it must be clear.

- On seedlings, it can block the lifting

- Furthermore, it is more difficult to wash mash; we may have small pieces of hay [Note that this is less toxic pesticides on the mince from the supermarket, who themselves do not see absolutely! So me, it does not troble me. But that could "block" small minds! In this case, the hay is "dirty"!]

[[PS: for those who do not know him and always think the mash is only a "salad" of winter, there are now varieties "for the whole year" - here is the variety "Gala"; we enjoy right now!]

[Update 2015 end: the problem has grown so much that now I hold the bird netting over the seedlings; for a few euros, the problem is finally solved; the presence, proximity, groves offer a cozy cottage with blackbirds, that as soon as we left the place, rush to dig and eat worms ... As soon as we approach the "whistleblowers" scare away everyone]
Last edited by Did67 the 08 / 01 / 16, 11: 10, 2 edited once.
4 x