Returns Scroll Stop Automatic mode

Agriculture: problems and pollution, new technologies and solutionsLe Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
ibex
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Unread Messageby ibex » 18/01/18, 16:56

we did a lot of ponds with the EPDM tarpaulin, it is quite heavy to put in place if the basin is large, it is necessary to be several to avoid too much galley. Make the profile of the pool in steps, put a geotextile and cover the edges of sand before laying the EPDM. Plan an escape for the critters that will fall into the water of course. In Isère there are subsidies to set up ponds, I do not know what is elsewhere.
0 x

nico239
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Unread Messageby nico239 » 18/01/18, 17:16

Oh I did not know he had subsidies ... ours being ridiculous I doubt that it is taken into account. : Mrgreen:

In fact we first realized the small with a thermoformed basin ... pfff on our ground slope is very difficult to ask correctly.

So we fired and we find that it is much cooler with the EPDM and in addition we can make a basin a little bigger and deeper.

For the profile it may be 3 sides "steep" and a side slope gently beach style: but nothing is definitive.
0 x
"A tool that does not consume energy and respects soils is what? Ben is a tool that does nothing "(quote conference François Mulet)
Julienmos
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Unread Messageby Julienmos » 18/01/18, 17:17

Thank you for your answers. Perso it would be a very small pool of maxi 2 m², for lack of space.
The evaporation must be huge in summer I guess ...
0 x
gek
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Unread Messageby gek » 18/01/18, 20:57

Hello,

I also did a low-tech (mare) EDPM with geotextile underneath, 3h three friends to dig and put the tarpaulins. Then the dressing takes time but it's worth it. As for mosquitoes, without fish but quickly colonized by a whole lot of critters (dragonflies, notonectes) the larvae were devoured in a few days and nothing since. You have to put a lot of plants including submerged ones to oxygenate the water.
0 x
Den54
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Unread Messageby Den54 » 18/01/18, 21:31

gek wrote:Hello,

I also did a low-tech (mare) EDPM with geotextile underneath, 3h three friends to dig and put the tarpaulins. Then the dressing takes time but it's worth it. As for mosquitoes, without fish but quickly colonized by a whole lot of critters (dragonflies, notonectes) the larvae were devoured in a few days and nothing since. You have to put a lot of plants including submerged ones to oxygenate the water.

There is 2-3 years ago, I had planned to make a big enough one, but I gave up on the road; I was inspired by a site well done it seemed to me, for beginners or not, http://www.passionbassin.com/

@Thouvenel, thank you for the details above, I will look for your clover then ^^
0 x

Den54
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Unread Messageby Den54 » 18/01/18, 22:25

For subsidies in Isère, I looked quickly done, it is reserved for the communes it seems.

Et :!: attention :!: for lovers of pools (real), they are not pools, and it is subject to regulation (including application in town hall, and less than 50 m of a neighbor ... whatever the size) It would be still a shame to have to fill it - with its inhabitants - because of a neighbor "in his good right"
https://www.efl.fr/actualites/particuli ... 0e3fc3502d

(One can not even more or almost already in our campaigns to have a henhouse and his cock ... : Frown: )
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Unread Messageby phil53 » 19/01/18, 07:32

Does the size of the caïeu presume the size of the pod it will do?
0 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 19/01/18, 10:29

I read - but not experienced myself - that indeed, it was appropriate to plant the largest (upper) cloves if we wanted to have big garlic ...

[But I also remember having read that we had to dig, that we had to fertilize, that we had to treat, that we should not put the onions in a soil rich in organic matter, etc etc etc ... So I doubt what I read. I will try to pay attention to the harvest, because I put everything in my autumn garlic that I had bought, the least clove, from the largest - external - or smaller - internally. I could not do the link objectively, but if there are big and small heads, we will not know. But if there are only big, or medium, or small, we will know that it is not related to the size of the cloves planted!]
1 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 19/01/18, 10:44

On the question of ponds, apart from the "technical construction" aspect:

a) A "living" pond, just like living soil, is of interest. Some of the animals that inhabit it or live nearby have their role in a kitchen garden. For example, toads eat ... slugs! It may be ugly, but effective! I was happy - though surprised - to find one in my greenhouse, under the drip at the foot of a tomato! Wetlands also attract, for example, snakes, which are carnivorous (rodents) ...

b) But to form a living "ecosystem", it takes more than a small water hole! There are questions of thermal inertia, quantity of water, different areas (humid, shallow, deep) ... I think that no more than a gardener is a "vegetable garden in living soil", a small pond is a wetland with an ecological interest ... it's just fun - or almost so.

c) To know how much a pond evaporates from "water level", one should know the evapotranspiration of the place. It is a climatic data, not easily accessible (it is sold, for those who practice irrigation). In an old report, for Alsace, I found: June: 100 mm / July: 110 mm / August: 90 mm. For these months 3, so it is a blade of water 300 mm = 30 cm.
1 x
Did67

Unread Messageby Did67 » 19/01/18, 10:53

Thouvenel wrote: you can sow crimson clover that will be pretty hardy and with beautiful bloom, you will have a real cover. Attention young seedlings are fragile frost, so planting must be done in late August so that clover has had time to develop.

Clovers are generally large biomass producers that can be cut and fell. They are legumes, which in poor soil can fix atmospheric nitrogen. The rooting is powerful but of "pivot" type (whereas the grasses have small roots everywhere on the surface - hence a "visible" effect of crumbling, but not deep.) Clovers will rather descend and make galleries a time dead plant ...

The crimson clover is normally not frosty. So we can install it at the end of the summer to "grow it" the year after.

The shamrocks of Alexandria (and Persia, which I have recently dislodged) are frosty. There, it is more for the "extensives" which will devote a board, a year, to this culture, which will "burst" alone the coming winter. They are quite fast and can be grown after a quick crop (onions, garlic, for example) ...
2 x