- izentrop 22/10/18, 00:09 France is one of the worst European pupils in terms of vaccination. View the latest post Answers 221 Views 12131
- Flytox 21/10/18, 23:10 [One other] Humor View the latest post Answers 12893 Views 1726242
- Julienmos 21/10/18, 22:20 Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio View the latest post Answers 11437 Views 598314
- defdefred 21/10/18, 22:11 solar heating autoconstruction View the latest post Answers 30 Views 9783
- Ahmed 21/10/18, 22:08 The Potager du Sloth: the book View the latest post Answers 475 Views 33717
- Ahmed 21/10/18, 20:24 VMC: the pros and cons, advantages and disadvantages View the latest post Answers 113 Views 310716
- Ahmed 21/10/18, 19:51 Prepare the exit ... View the latest post Answers 124 Views 2776
- Ahmed 21/10/18, 19:44 Urban tolls to 5 € or 10 € in France soon? View the latest post Answers 47 Views 330
- Did67 21/10/18, 18:39 A new, absolutely [not] revolutionary donkey View the latest post Answers 221 Views 3014
- gina 21/10/18, 18:12 Eco ideas deco with recuperation of wooden pallets View the latest post Answers 61 Views 242066
- Sylvester spiritus 21/10/18, 10:20 Brazil: H2O motorcycle with water / hydrogen (cracking) View the latest post Answers 19 Views 357
- moinsdewatt 21/10/18, 10:13 The waste is the raw material of the XXI century View the latest post Answers 17 Views 3146
- moinsdewatt 21/10/18, 10:08 The plastic is (not so) great! View the latest post Answers 108 Views 48526
- Christophe 21/10/18, 03:16 [One other] Music discover, share ... View the latest post Answers 209 Views 65494
- Did67 20/10/18, 15:51 A vegetable lazy Sarthe View the latest post Answers 331 Views 24786
- Christophe 20/10/18, 14:12 To build a palisade in pallets of recovery (photos) View the latest post Answers 7 Views 63
- izentrop 19/10/18, 21:39 Put remote probe on thermostat .... View the latest post Answers 12 Views 124
- Christophe 19/10/18, 21:14 Tesla Model 3: Disassembling a 20700 18650 Lithium Battery View the latest post Answers 3 Views 1652
- Christophe 19/10/18, 20:56 manipulation strategy (peoples) in 10 rules View the latest post Answers 179 Views 73244
- Ahmed 19/10/18, 18:19 Monsanto Roundup deadly to humans - Glyphosate View the latest post Answers 429 Views 52086
- Ahmed 19/10/18, 17:20 Electric bike: an acceptable compromise? View the latest post Answers 79 Views 546
- Christophe 19/10/18, 14:46 3.1 phpBB: setting notifications by e-mail or on the forum View the latest post Answers 25 Views 1934
- Ahmed 19/10/18, 12:32 Remake of the black gold with plastic View the latest post Answers 39 Views 28465
- oli 80 18/10/18, 21:25 Presentation of innovative or unknown tools View the latest post Answers 26 Views 3897
- Christophe 18/10/18, 18:27 Electromagnetic Waves and Health: Federal guide! View the latest post Answers 46 Views 43473
Agriculture: problems and pollution, new technologies and solutions ⇒ Finally a garden! Where to start ?
You do not know me yet, but I read the forum for several weeks, I feel that you are familiar to me!
As the title says, I finally have a garden, after years in the city, to grow various plants on my balconies with more or less success.
In seeking to clarify this concept of permaculture that is everywhere and that I could not understand, I ended up landing on "the kitchen garden lazy", I devoured the first 400 pages of the thread, a real story to twists, it's exciting!
I learned how a soil works, aggradation, worms, auxiliaries, anthropization, permanent cover ... I gave up thanks to you to ask the city the lousy composter of bottom of garden since I intend to feed my garden with our peelings.
I have progressed quite a bit in theory, with the big limit that my favorite area of expertise is not really science! Now I'm good to practice, but where do I start?
I begin with the description of the places: house of new construction in the hérault, on a clay ground, slush that sticks to the feet with which one could shape statues! And from above but not in regular layer, earth embankment with a lot of pebbles. Depending on the terrain, there is between 30 cm and 1 meter.
For now the field is not yet completely backfilled, it will be done next week. There is bindweed, creeping plants and other velcro everywhere. I imagine that the machine that will backfill will spread all this mess in the field. I wondered if it would be useful to sow clover or meadow everywhere to occupy the land before the ugly ones grow back?
Then I wonder about the location of the future vegetable garden. I read everywhere that it takes a maximum of sun. Even in the south? with summers 45 in the shade, while there is no shade?
I still have many questions, I hope you do not sigh already before my level of incompetence
- Grand Econologue
- posts: 1112
- Registration: 27/05/17, 22:20
- Location: boundary between North and Aisne
- x 246
happy for you that you can finally garden in "real"
the important point is obviously the location of the garden
full sun recess, to make shade is always possible, but not the opposite
then think about the water point, especially in the south, so where are you going to put your rainwater collectors? and so the garden will have to be close, cross the whole property with watering cans or have to install a watering system from the beginning it is not always Top
then once your land is well established, you can sow, a plant cover, a turf is not bad, it's a little prettier than clover, because this cover will stay a moment, the temporary lasts always more long time than expected and it's a good source of nitrogen
and put you in search of hay, or what you will be able to put as a cover on your future kitchen garden
so you already see some work
My lazy advice bring organic matter to the top without asking any questions.
Indeed I had forgotten the question of water! We must install a water recovery quickly to be able to easily water on the sunniest side.
I did not think either that I will be able to shade if necessary
I thought that turf necessarily required care and watering consequent?
I spotted a neighbor with a beautiful meadow, I'll try to find out what he's doing with his mowing. @phil53 you drop all that first on a layer of hay?
When you put very little thick it can put it on the hay avoiding that it touches the vegetable already in place because it can damage them.
If you have the opportunity to recover wood grind especially small branches, it's great also for strawberries and small fruit bushes.
Read Didier's book, this is really worth it because it is much better explained.
Starting from 0 like that I would say to be lazy and just to send winter vetch to the garden part, vesce that you sleep in the spring at the time of sowing or planting more that "send" of the nitrogen in your soil.
For water except the garden hose connected to the faucet there is the agricultural tank 1000l which is very practical and cheap (50 €) in all cases much cheaper and much larger than commercial collectors.
And ATTENTION to foresee the pump to have pressure (a hundred of €)
And of course direct a gutter to this tank, they fill up much faster than you think (and empties too) ... if you have the place you put two connected each to 2 gutters.
They are a little ugly but it is very easy to make them a wooden formwork on which you can hang (or put on) planters and flush flowers
After the ideal is the drip but it's a job, you can see that in a second time.
And nothing prevents you from sowing winter spinach: must start well?
I did not think I could start sowing for the winter ... I can not wait and at the same time a little pressure!
yes it's normal, I too at first I did not know anything and I asked myself a thousand questions before trying anything, and a thousand others after doing it!
But you are lucky to be at home and able to do what you want. It is by deceiving that we advance too. So, as others have said, I think you can start pretty quickly. For example if you like beans, you can try to get seeds. There are grain libraries in which you could find seeds cheaply. I am in Gironde and I sow the beans in October, they germinate and grow a little before winter and then give excellent beans in early spring (we can then easily follow another crop such as tomato for example). In addition they can easily cross a blanket (such as hay for example!) Because they are large seeds. And to finish the bean as a legume would bring nitrogen to your soil that may be needed if you saw the earth embankment you mentioned. But there is also garlic, peas ... that you can try to launch this fall. For these winter crops you can put I think immediately hay, directly on your soil, by 1 month, if it rains, the mineralization will be going to feed your crops at the time of sowing that you can do at the plant through the hay.
Regarding the location, I would prefer to privilege the ease of access from the house (in addition to the sun and access to water already mentioned). It's nice to be able to easily have an eye on what's going on! Compared to the sun, if you have different sunshine it can be not bad, even if you have to learn to juggle rotations. Observe your field at different times of day: what are the places that take the most sun (morning, evening ...), are there places in the shade? ... These observations will be useful to you. For example, if you grow tomatoes without a greenhouse, it may be wise to place them in the sunniest place at dawn so that moisture from condensation evaporates quickly to prevent mildew. And Solanaceae generally (peppers, potatoes, tomatoes ...) really need sun, especially since these crops can be relatively long to reach maturity. On the other hand, slightly shaded areas could shelter crops that like water (strawberries, Swiss chard, beets, etc.).
The beans is a good idea. I am under observation of the field, I note the shadows during the day. Knowing that a house is built next door and that its fence may change the situation.
I wonder how to have several pieces of garden in the garden will be manageable!
I followed the advice of Moindreffor and ordered low grass seedlings, to green a little all that. I look on the corner hay ads, I wonder if it's worth it because I do not need enough to be delivered and in my car I certainly will not load enough?
For the location, if you go in this type of crop without tillage, the advantage is still that you can move easily from one year to another your plots if the location is not suitable. Of course you will lose a bit of the effect of repeated aggression in the same place but you place your cover on the right or left, it does not change, you can implement your crops as easily and almost at the moment you want!
Who is online ?
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and guests 2