Connection of a house on a well

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
ddufond
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Connection of a house on a well

by ddufond » 23/12/11, 19:37

I will connect my house to my well (11m dug in the clay), I still hesitate as regards drinking water.
The water supply is a priori not of very good quality (lead pipe) and I think that with a suitable filtering, I could drink water of better quality on my well (I specify that I have 3 children).
I hesitate between the reverse osmosis filter and a UV lamp.
What do you think ?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 23/12/11, 21:51

(lead pipe)

What length in meters ????
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 23/12/11, 22:02

UV sterilization will only have an effect on bacteriological pollution.
it will have no effect on other pollutants (nitrates, etc.)
0 x
AXEAU
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by AXEAU » 24/12/11, 10:33

Do an analysis of your water and compare with that of your municipality.
Then you will know how to treat.
Lead pipes remain a lot, they are replaced only at the rate of rehabilitation of the roadways.
jlg
0 x
ddufond
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by ddufond » 26/12/11, 18:46

dedeleco wrote:
(lead pipe)

What length in meters ????

I live in the countryside, the city's pipes are old ... The part which belongs to me has no lead.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 26/12/11, 18:54

Over 50 years ago, kid, there were a lot more lead pipes, I drank lots of water passing through them, I am alive, because the pipe is covered with a layer that protects enough, to my opinion more than lead leaded gasoline that we all breathed, more than 20 years ago !!!
So less catastrophic than germs or junk food.

Strongly urge the municipality to change these pipes.
0 x
ddufond
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by ddufond » 26/12/11, 18:59

Forhorse wrote:UV sterilization will only have an effect on bacteriological pollution.
it will have no effect on other pollutants (nitrates, etc.)

I have a filtration unit upstream of the possible UV lamp. I plan to do a very thorough analysis of the water before any connection.
My concern is that I would not want to forget something (we only find what we are looking for!) And I also wonder about the possible evolution of the quality of the water (after a big storm for example).
In my opinion the water supply is subject to the same fluctuations.
0 x
St1ngy
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Connection of a house on a well

by St1ngy » 26/12/11, 19:06

ddufond wrote:I hesitate between the reverse osmosis filter and a UV lamp.

Both my captain, I advise you to read the literature on reverse osmosis and UV disinfection to get a good idea on the subject but:

Reverse osmosis rids water of its large molecules with upstream
- a sediment filter to remove the largest elements
- an activated carbon filter to remove chlorine which is not well supported by the osmosis membranes,
- some membranes are certified for nitrates filtration.

UV disinfection helps get rid of E.Coli-type pathogens.

An osmosis unit can be found at affordable prices (100 euros), on the other hand, UV disinfection worthy of the name costs around (300 euros) ... and the lamp alone is often half the price and lasts for around 2000 hours. Personally I bought Sterilight in the US it's cheaper but you need a 220-110v transformer.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/12/11, 20:55

Reverse osmosis, it seems, can only be done with lime-free water, so requires a water softener upstream ...
St1ngy wrote:
- an activated carbon filter to remove chlorine which is not well supported by the osmosis membranes

There is, by definition, no addition of chlorine in rainwater, but activated carbon can probably limit some junk food, like pesticides ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
St1ngy
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by St1ngy » 26/12/11, 21:50

Ahmed wrote:There is, by definition, no addition of chlorine in rainwater, but activated carbon can probably limit some junk food, like pesticides ...

Well seen but in my case all the water pumped into the well is not intended for the drink, I do not pass through the reverse osmosis unit and the UV lamp that the fraction drunk and that of the dishwasher.

All the water comes from the well via 2 storage tanks in which I chlorinate at 2 mg / l for disinfection, with a simple sediment filter at the outlet. So do not drink the water from the shower, sink or sink.

To wrap up the subject of chlorine out of habit, I periodically disinfect the well with bleach (200mg / l) as well as the tanks with direct bleach from the carton.

It's not great but at 80 euros for the full analysis of the water ... once a month it's cheaper to chlorinate.
0 x