A freshwater world tour in National Geographic

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
National Geographic
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

A freshwater world tour in National Geographic

by National Geographic » 07/04/10, 17:15

Hello,
this message to report the special number that the monthly National Geographic devotes toeau douce and its challenges around the world, in April 2010.

Summary:
FRESHWATER - Population growth, rising demand and climate change are disrupting the water cycle. With a key question: are we going to run out of fresh water? Because it represents less than 3% of terrestrial water…

ASIA: THREAT ON GLACIERS - The life and food of 2 billion human beings depend on the major rivers - Mekong, Ganges, Yangzi Jiang ... - fed by the glaciers of the Himalayas. But these melt at high speed.

AFRICA: SLAVE OF THIRST - Women travel dozens of kilometers a day to fill cans with more or less potable water. Giving them access to a tap could change entire societies.

UNITED STATES: FISHING FOR LIFE - Freshwater species are disappearing even faster than those living at sea or on land. A strange Noah's ark comes to their rescue.

MIDDLE EAST: SHARING OF WATERS - At the same time a geographical border and a source of common life, the Jordan also fuels conflicts. Can the management of this resource set an example of the cooperation that is essential to avoid water wars?

UNTIL THE LAST DROP - By learning to manage its resources, the developed world can reduce its demand. And even in poor countries, real political will could bring solutions.

CARD - In addition, a double-sided folding card:
• The major rivers of the world with their hydrographic basin
• 11 liters of water for jeans, more than 000 liters for 15 kg of beef… this is what we actually consume

And also:
• France: water management and consumption
• Technology: the future in desalination?
• Pollution: the impact of drugs
• The price of fresh water in the world

More details here:
http://www.nationalgeographic.fr/magazi ... avril_2010

PS: if you have any reactions on this number, don't hesitate!
0 x
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by recyclinage » 08/04/10, 09:18

as long as talking about the challenges of freshwater
I want to tell you about the book
" wars of the 21st century "
by Ignacio Ramonet

this book talks about compulsory concessions if you don't want to go into war mode
0 x
National Geographic
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by National Geographic » 08/04/10, 10:18

Yes, this is somewhat what the article "The sharing of waters" evokes: the global interest requires a negotiated solution but, at a certain point, also individual interests because it is illusory, for one of the parties, to want to appropriate the entire resource without paying a heavy price in another way. So this is the hope: that the well-understood interests of each join common sense… This does not prevent some people, on the ground, from campaigning for a negotiated sharing of the waters of the Jordan in a spirit of brotherhood.
1 x
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by recyclinage » 08/04/10, 10:40

hope a thinking reason rather than neurotic

as long as we are positive, we can say that it is getting better and better

it is better to drink the glass half filled and the glass half empty than to discuss it

delight to meet you 8)
0 x
edfed
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by edfed » 08/04/10, 11:18

not tired of mistreating the French language?
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 08/04/10, 11:34

you're not tired of chasing everyone : Evil:
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
edfed
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by edfed » 08/04/10, 12:04

me no i love her.
Be careful, I have you in my sights from my balcony. : Lol:
0 x
National Geographic
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by National Geographic » 08/04/10, 12:07

Ha! the water war has just started ... Image
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 08/04/10, 13:40

water will be one of the major strategic priorities of this century, the different multinationals (also French) understand this.

On a simple national scale, you only have to see the control of certain groups on the key points: purification, routing, reprocessing, with at the end a sometimes scandalous rise in the price of water (as usual) !).
Fortunately, some town halls have backtracked by employing municipal staff again.
Question: who said that the privatization of the public sectors would lower prices ???
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/04/10, 02:43

I bought the number, it is very interesting. Some articles are very technical (I would say "level" Science and Life), which should please some here.

There is a nice poster which explains the water consumption of some "common" objects ... is there an internet / electronic version of this poster?

To buy therefore as a "reminder" about water!
0 x