Gray water and rainwater recovery

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
curious
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Gray water and rainwater recovery

by curious » 02/03/08, 15:35

Hello,
I would like to know if this water collection system is feasible.
(currently I am doing a TPE on this subject and I would like to have your advice)

First of all we have the cistern, then there is a 50µ filter, then a pump (chosen by the user, so arbitrary) and after that comes a 10µ filter.
Then we have the distribution nanny which connects the toilets, showers, washing machine, dishes, sinks, + outdoor uses (grass, cars ...).
(Before the water heater is placed an activated carbon filter)
And we connect to the entrance of the IWM station the exit of the showers, washing machine + sinks (the rest of the other exits towards the sewer). At the exit, this water is then returned to the toilets, outdoor use + sinks. (Which are equipped with a double entry)
Obviously the cistern is connected to a city water inlet.

The big question is: is this possible?
: Mrgreen:
Thanks for answering
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/08, 15:39

Everything is possible ... just pay!

The correct question would be: is this possible econologically speaking?

And personally I remain very skeptical about the econological aspect of an integral rainwater harvesting ... given the ecological and economic costs of filtering, pumping and health risk ...

Be careful, conversely, for the garden and other outdoor uses, not collecting rainwater is obviously bullshit ...
0 x
curious
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by curious » 02/03/08, 16:12

We did a full rainwater recovery because of profitability, and also because we have the possibility to do it (it rains enough here)
The risk exists but it is minimal if we take into account the regular examination of its installation and the maintenance of the filters, (unless I have forgotten another parameter : Oops: !!) ...
(At worst we have the city water supply : Mrgreen: but hey it's no longer has anything !!!)
The cost of the installation at the beginning is not a problem (well, yes, you have to have the means) as long as it is profitable over time.
But the financing is up to the user (it is up to him to choose the products ...) we just make an average of the cost of the installation (we obviously remain realistic!)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/03/08, 16:16

l'CuriEux wrote:We did a full rainwater recovery because of profitability, and also because we have the possibility to do it (it rains enough here)
The risk exists but it is minimal if we take into account the regular examination of its installation and the maintenance of the filters, (unless I have forgotten another parameter : Oops: !!) ...

Well precisely ... it is the cost of the filters that worries me ... We, at 2, have an invoice of 55 € per year while the annual cost of 2 or 3 filter cartridges is much higher than this ... : Shock:

So I find it difficult to conceive that it is "profitable" compared to the network ...

l'CuriEux wrote:The cost of the installation at the beginning is not a problem (well, yes, you have to have the means) as long as it is profitable over time.
But the financing is up to the user (it is up to him to choose the products ...) we just make an average of the cost of the installation (we obviously remain realistic!)

Well, can you tell us how long it takes for your installation to be "profitable"?

ps: water is certainly precious but much less than oil (and therefore fossil energy) which does not renew itself naturally (well if but on a different scale) ...Recover water yes, but on condition that you first reduce your fossil fuel consumption to a minimum ...
0 x
little sparrow
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by little sparrow » 02/03/08, 19:17

Bonjour,

Christophe wrote:And personally I remain very skeptical about the econological aspect of an integral rainwater recovery ... given the ecological and economic costs of filtering, pumping and the health risk ...

there is nothing to do ... he will never believe it ...
not serious ...

ps: water is certainly precious but much less than oil

but I believe that the problem is there too ...
> you "just forgot" that water is vital for all Life, more than all the rest, and much more than oil too .. !!!
but the quality of this water seems only a detail to many ...
but either ..
to each his own idea ..

We, at 2, we have an invoice of 55 € per year while the annual cost of 2 or 3 filter cartridges is much higher than this ...

how much do you think .. ??

how much do you cost your future health care .. ??
how much do you count a year of life .. ??
how much do you cost a year of care for a degenerative disease .. ??
how much do you count suffering from bad health .. ??
how much do you estimate the dependence on more and more frequent usage restrictions now .. ??
how much do you estimate the increasingly heavy treatments in the near future to guarantee an "acceptable" public water quality .. ??
how much do you estimate the decrease in the vital fresh water resource .. ??
how much do you estimate the "econological" side of large pumping / treatment / distribution / purification infrastructures

and finally ,
to respond to the CurEux ..
Yes it's possible !! , obviously ..
(I can assure you, since I did it myself .., like many others ..)

cordially : Wink:

Edit:
minimum price for a new car = 10.000 €!
possible price for a complete installation in EDP autonomy = 6 to 8.000 € ...
price of a week in winter sports for 4 all inclusive = 2.000 € ..

remains to be determined, each, personally, the "precious" or "vital" or "ecological" or "sustainable" side of each of these "investments" .....
0 x
well hello to you !! ...
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 03/03/08, 10:39

hello, this is what I plan to do at home:
rainwater test measurements once a month (with test rods)
derivation of gutters.
construction of buried concrete tank (personal) 10.000 L with + pool liner.
personal tanks built with "type" decanters:
So with aquarium bubbler etc ...
for storage, by solenoid valve on a 15-minute timer (roof washing).

rainwater, much better than "multi-function" tap water and therefore responsible for these errors (we drink it, we wash ourselves, we shit in it), acid therefore ends the limestone and the extreme doses of product detergents, boiler heating etc ... goodbye to tartar.

so no problem to wash with, washing machine dishwasher washing machine etc! and central heating (cast iron radiators).
regulation by pump + booster + filters.

amortized in 5 years when the price of water goes up.

I don't drink that water there!

for now I buy it in a bottle or filter jug ​​and soon a rainwater system made drinkable. I only use it for coffee or pastis! or at night ...

AND also: recuperation of shower water, bathtub, washing machine, condensate electric water heater + boiler for: WC and garden.

the rainwater tank outlet is juxtaposed with the main tap water inlet, with solenoid valves on relays (tank level sensor).
Ditto water recovery tank, and maybe "WITH" heat exchanger but we'll see that (yes, hot showers, showers and washing machines!) ... I don't yet see what to use.

so YES it is quite possible WITHOUT contamination and WITHOUT paying thousands of €! No but !
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 03/03/08, 11:28

jonule wrote:hello, this is what I plan to do at home:
rainwater test measurements once a month (with test rods)
derivation of gutters.
construction of buried concrete tank (personal) 10.000 L with + pool liner.
personal tanks built with "type" decanters:
So with aquarium bubbler etc ...
for storage, by solenoid valve on a 15-minute timer (roof washing).

rainwater, much better than "multi-function" tap water and therefore responsible for these errors (we drink it, we wash ourselves, we shit in it), acid therefore ends the limestone and the extreme doses of product detergents, boiler heating etc ... goodbye to tartar.

so no problem to wash with, washing machine dishwasher washing machine etc! and central heating (cast iron radiators).
regulation by pump + booster + filters.

amortized in 5 years when the price of water goes up.

I don't drink that water there!

for now I buy it in a bottle or filter jug ​​and soon a rainwater system made drinkable. I only use it for coffee or pastis! or at night ...

AND also: recuperation of shower water, bathtub, washing machine, condensate electric water heater + boiler for: WC and garden.

the rainwater tank outlet is juxtaposed with the main tap water inlet, with solenoid valves on relays (tank level sensor).
Ditto water recovery tank, and maybe "WITH" heat exchanger but we'll see that (yes, hot showers, showers and washing machines!) ... I don't yet see what to use.

so YES it is quite possible WITHOUT contamination and WITHOUT paying thousands of €! No but !

Hi Jonule,
Don't be nervous like that, it's no use.
Nice drawing.
In some countries water is used 4 times; You're almost there.
At home, I have used rainwater for EVERYTHING for 15 years, except for the cold water in the kitchen.
There is in everything and for everything, a small filter before the pump ...
Result, after 15 years of use of the electric water heater, not a gram of limestone, and nothing on the heating core.
The toilet hunt at 15 ...
Madame prefers rainwater to take her bath ... it's gentler ....
I turned off the diaphragm pump, and bought a good pump, which automatically shuts off if the cistern is empty.
For me, one of the big benefits is the extension of the life of heated appliances.
And when people want to brush their teeth at my place, I tell them ... it's cistern water, if you want chlorinated water, go to the kitchen.
When I think that 70 years ago, almost everyone in my region had their well .... all filled up ..
And then we gave these people, lead pipes, and an invoice .....
I was invited to a Thai man's house, and at his house, I washed myself with water which is stored in large earthenware jars.
In these jars there were small fish which were used to eat mosquito larvae ... guppies :D
It was not at his place that I had the tourista, it was in a large hotel in Bankok.
If I had children at home, maybe I would think about purifying my water a little more.
Salmonella? yes !, it does exist, and it kills; even more often than you think.
That's why when I come back from vacation, I purge all my water circuits.
But the salonelle also concerns people who are only users of city water.
The proof: at work, we have emergency showers in case of burns. Water analyzes are regularly done, and often we have high doses of salmonella, pcq these showers are never used ... yet they are connected to city water.
So, We have been instructed to regularly purge these showers ...
So, I say long live the rainwater. And although she has a small dose of natural bird products :D
Ha! on your drawing, I do not see recovery of the rejection of reverse osmosis water ... This rejection is significant in quantity.
There, that was my opinion on the thing.
It's true, it seems to me that we get more rain than sun (in Belgium) : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
Good day to all
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 03/03/08, 12:56

thank you to you for this important feedback, I would like more feedback on your installation so much this subject fascinates me.
thank you for the info of the osmosis unit that consumes ...

salmonella and legionella yes these are factors to be mastered.

the purge must be done, and can be recovered in the gray water system> wc or garden.

did you make a complete post of your install with diagrams / photos and explanations / maintenance?

it would be for my site, if you want to create your page I am ok to help you!

how many µm do you filter?
what type of pump did you choose?

merci!
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 03/03/08, 13:10

Jonule,
It's simple,
I just have a little filter before the pump, I will say ... 100 micron of eye memory ......
But every day, I take my bath ... and there is no water stagnating in the lines ...
I'll even tell you more my suction pipe is almost at the bottom of the tank ... no float ....
I've only had this for 15 years ...
Never sick ... but I have a buried cistern (water at 14 ° c permanently) so little bacteria develop.
My cigarette is much more harmful : Cheesy:
So all you do is add a bonus to the cleanliness of the water.
But between us, my bath water is always clean like city water ...
The bobonne next to my house, it's the same, 74 years old, and still with cistern water ... ok, its filter is a little bigger than mine; that's all ....
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 03/03/08, 14:03

OK!

have you deviated your aligners? put a sand filter?

concrete tank? plastic tank? metal ?
is there a part gravity settler type diagram that 'I put?

do you drain sometimes?

do you drink it?
0 x