Old fuel tank for rainwater recovery

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
seb28
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Old fuel tank for rainwater recovery

by seb28 » 01/09/08, 13:57

Hello, I just bought a house whose heating mode was fuel oil. I'm going to change the heating mode and the 10000l fuel tank buried in the garage is no longer useful to me.
There are companies that transform old fuel tanks into rainwater reserves. So I thought it might be interesting to transform this tank.
Has anyone ever done this type of transformation (degassing + tank treatment)?
I want to use this water for the toilets, the washing machine and the garden.
Thank you
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 01/09/08, 14:30

I had this procedure done when I switched to pellets.
my tank was 5000L.
on the financial level, it is not "profitable" as such compared to the price of the m3 of water but I use it mainly to water the garden or I find it unfortunate to put treated drinking water ( that plants don't really like)
it cost me 1200 euros.
they cleaned and then degreased the inside of the tank and then passed an epoxy resin inside.
In addition, it seems that from 2009 or 2010, you cannot leave an unused oil tank in the same state. it must be degassed and then filled with lean concrete or removed.
The technique which consisted of filling it with sand would no longer be accepted (dixit the service provider) because on somewhat large tanks, it leaves pockets of gas.
just in case: the company that did the job for me: EURL Lambert at ARC LES GRAY (70)
0 x
Click my signature
seb28
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by seb28 » 01/09/08, 15:05

Thank you dirk pitt, it was the website of this company that gave me the idea.
I would have liked to know if there is no smell of hydrocarbon with the water coming out of this tank (use wc and washing machine)?
In terms of profitability, I was planning to install a tank to collect rainwater anyway, so use the fuel tank as much as I will have to degas and recap.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 01/09/08, 15:54

no smell of diesel on the other hand I put it in water after 15 days after repairing (according to what they had told me) and the water smelled the solvent of the epoxy resin. So I drained it for the first time. I don't know if it's better to leave it in the air longer ??
0 x

Click my signature