Schedule a door opening system with battery

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Schedule a door opening system with battery

by Grelinette » 28/11/15, 16:27

Hello

I need to automate the opening of a small door with an autonomous system with battery (s) and without going through the current 220 Volts.

A small programmer on 9 volts batteries should do the trick to operate a system to unlock an opening (latch system, hook, latch, ...), but I can not find anything.

I specify that the opening of the door once unlocked will be mechanical spring or its own weight.

I searched the net but I can not find a reliable solution at an affordable price.

There are indeed irrigation programmers that are generally simple and practical for programming, but the prices are high, and can we operate an opening system with this type of programmer?

For example, I use this very simple model and I measured that it was sending an electrical pulse of 1 volt for a split second. (which surely activates an electromagnet that opens or closes the membrane for water).

The operation of this type of equipment corresponds to what I seek but how to exploit the short pulse to trigger a mechanical opening without going through a complex and expensive electronic assembly?

I also saw that there were electric strikes (12 V 500 mA) that could work but I do not know if they operate in direct current and if it can be used with batteries,
Image Image

or plugs like this but that only works on 220 AC:

Can you help me in my research for both the stand-alone battery programmer (9 volts),
and the opening system from the programmer?

Thank you for your bright and economical ideas!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/11/15, 17:05

Remote remotely controllable relay could be suitable for you?

https://www.econologie.com/shop/interrup ... p-240.html

But it requires that you press on the remote control each faith.

Otherwise the shop can provide you with a pulse relay ... with pulse and adjustable pause from 1s to 60h ... so in your case 1h of opening and 23h of pause ...

You would at least have the signal ... In terms of activation, I think you can take a door lock like the ones you found ...

These 2 solutions work under 12V, so with a small battery ... possibly recharged by a small solar panel?
Last edited by Christophe the 28 / 11 / 15, 17: 10, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/11/15, 17:08

This is the operating principle of the timed relay:

0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/11/15, 17:51

The electric strike is a simple solution to implement, but we must be careful that there are two types; those that release the bolt after the impulse and those that release it only during the impulse.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 29/11/15, 19:32

Good evening and thank you for your answers.

Christophe,
The remotely controllable remote relay is too advanced for the intended use: I just need to trigger an opening at a given time and scheduled in advance.

Ahmed,
The electric strike seems indeed a simple solution (for the mechanical part of the opening), but still it is necessary that I can activate it with a battery or a battery. But the problem of programming the trigger time for the opening remains to be found.

I found a small relay, I will try it with the watering timer to see if it triggers with the 1 volt electrical impulse of the watering timer. If this is the case, perhaps the duration of the pulse will be sufficient to open an electric strike.

If anyone has ever tried this type of programmable electrical outlet:
As it works with a battery for programming, maybe I can use the plug to open or cut a current in 9 or 12 volts (instead of the 220 v).
Does anyone know if it's possible?

Last solution, which a priori although not ideal will work without any doubt. I have a very basic and mechanical mechanical programmer like this one:
Everything is mechanical: at the indicated time a small motor rotates a spherical valve, so very simple to turn into a latch. The only problem is that the programming is blinded relatively to the time when it is started: we program a duration and a frequency, by no precise time.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/15, 01:15

Grelinette wrote:If anyone has ever tried this type of programmable electrical outlet:
As it works with a battery for programming, maybe I can use the plug to open or cut a current in 9 or 12 volts (instead of the 220 v).
Does anyone know if it's possible?

Funny as you find programmers elsewhere while there is on the shop of your forum favorite for years ...
https://www.econologie.com/shop/programm ... iques-c-84
: Cheesy:

I have never dismantled one but I am almost certain that it will not work in low voltage, the tripping must be done with 230V Thyristor (this kind of programmers are quite basic and they do not include relays: it does no "click" when it triggers and even if there was a relay not sure to convert it ...)

What do you think of my timed relay solution? Because it would walk in low voltage (12V mini ...) and the kit (soldering itself) costs less than 20 € ...

Grelinette wrote:Last solution, which a priori although not ideal will work without any doubt. I have a very basic and mechanical mechanical programmer like this one:
Everything is mechanical: at the indicated time a small motor rotates a spherical valve, so very simple to turn into a latch. The only problem is that the programming is blinded relatively to the time when it is started: we program a duration and a frequency, by no precise time.

Yes, why not so sturdy but how many cycles do you think it will hold?

I still think that the timed relay is a better solution ... you will feed what you want with the relay (and it's not because it comes from the shop ... it's not for 20 € ... it's to help you find the best solution besides I do not even have it in stock ...)

ps: how long should the door stay open?
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 30/11/15, 15:50

Hello Christopher,

Promised, the next programmer, I buy it at the econology shop : Mrgreen:

In fact, the photos come from screenshot from an image search with g ...., and I take the first displayed which corresponds in terms of image size and product.

For the basic watering programmer, I had it in my furnishing of accessories, and it is by looking at it closely that I saw that it was mechanical (a valve which turns) thus simple to divert of its primary functions.

In the project, the door needs to be opened automatically, closing is not important (it will be closed manually). It is simply a matter of triggering a latch at a desired time.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/15, 15:56

In this case do not bother with hazardous DIY! Use a time relay plugged into an old "big" 12V battery that you will have to charge every X weeks ...

In any case you will need 12V for the electric lock?

I do not think a strike works on batteries ...

ps: what is the use for? Chickens? Horses? Same? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 30/11/15, 17:25

The advantage of the programmer on batteries is miniaturization, and the extreme simplicity of use. Unlike a big battery 12 volts difficult to store and keep out of reach of horses or granny! (sacred ma'am, always have to hide things with her).

Well, it's still good for horses!
(but if the mechanism works, I will be able to adapt it to chickens, rabbits, cats ... or to granny).

It is still an atypical equestrian project to bring a little innovation and comfort to the work in this rustic environment and so attached to the traditions and the physical efforts!

It is simply a matter of automating the distribution of hay that I give to horses for the morning or evening meal.
The goal is to deliver to horses in the outdoor park a hay volume (10 20 kg) in the form of hay patelles (slices from a boot whose strings are cut). These slices usually have a square shape of 50 cm side and 10-15 cm thick.
(There is a sophisticated equipment for this, but the price is worthy of a luxury catering service: 1400 € the machine! ...)

My horses (including Nénuphar, which you know as the first horse-power-pilot-test of the electrically assisted horse-drawn carriage) live in the park, and they have a meal of hay morning and evening + a complement in the day s' it is cold or if their physical work is more important.

Some mornings, with cold the horses are hungry earlier (before 7h) and in the evening (before 18h). Waterlily expresses it by hitting strongly with his hooves in the trough, and when he is very hungry, he catches the drinking trough with his teeth and throws him in the middle of his park.

The cold having arrived, it does not leave us a little respite on Sunday morning: finished the greasy mornings of the Sunday when the horses waited for their meal until 8 hours; and I'm not talking about the change of time, which has further advanced the morning meal by an hour ...

In short, I'm looking for a system so that their ration of hay is automatically accessible at a set time, either for the morning or the evening when I may return late.
(The ideal would be to be able to manage the meal of the morning and that of the evening, but it is even more complicated).

I have thought a little about the problem and there would be several solutions that goes through 2 steps:

1) electronic : setting the trigger time of the mechanism,
2) mechanical : triggering the mechanism for opening or removing hay in the park

Here are some lines of research:

- a box closed and placed in the park that contains the ration of hay and opens at the desired time.
To prevent the horses who feel the hay and strive on the closed box to open it, you need a solid box. I thought of a big plastic pallock with a lid and opening system.

- A sort of hay distributor placed behind their fence, therefore inaccessible to horses, and at the desired time, the ration of hay is released and falls in their park, slipping on inclined plane for example. (kind candy dispenser)

- I also thought that the ration could be put in a bag hanging from a high branch of a park tree and unhooked to fall on the ground within range of their nostrils.

- Another simple solution: make a small area surrounded by an electric fence in their park that opens (gate) at the desired time and gives them access to hay.

As much the mechanical part of opening can be tinkered with a little imagination and material of recovery;
as much the electronic part is more complicated to me.

If you have bright and economical ideas? ...
0 x
simplino
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by simplino » 30/11/15, 20:13

Grelinette wrote:The advantage of the programmer on batteries is miniaturization, and the extreme simplicity of use. Unlike a big battery 12 volts difficult to store and keep out of reach of horses or granny! (sacred ma'am, always have to hide things with her).

It is simply a matter of automating the distribution of hay that I give to horses for the morning or evening meal.
The goal is to deliver to horses in the outdoor park a hay volume (10 20 kg) in the form of hay patelles (slices from a boot whose strings are cut). These slices usually have a square shape of 50 cm side and 10-15 cm thick.
(There is a sophisticated equipment for this, but the price is worthy of a luxury catering service: 1400 € the machine! ...)

In short, I'm looking for a system so that their ration of hay is automatically accessible at a set time, either for the morning or the evening when I may return late.
(The ideal would be to be able to manage the meal of the morning and that of the evening, but it is even more complicated).

I have thought a little about the problem and there would be several solutions that goes through 2 steps:

1) electronic : setting the trigger time of the mechanism,
2) mechanical : triggering the mechanism for opening or removing hay in the park

Here are some lines of research:

- a box closed and placed in the park that contains the ration of hay and opens at the desired time.
To prevent the horses who feel the hay and strive on the closed box to open it, you need a solid box. I thought of a big plastic pallock with a lid and opening system.
- A sort of hay distributor placed behind their fence, therefore inaccessible to horses, and at the desired time, the ration of hay is released and falls in their park, slipping on inclined plane for example. (kind candy dispenser)

- I also thought that the ration could be put in a bag hanging from a high branch of a park tree and unhooked to fall on the ground within range of their nostrils.

- Another simple solution: make a small area surrounded by an electric fence in their park that opens (gate) at the desired time and gives them access to hay.

As much the mechanical part of opening can be tinkered with a little imagination and material of recovery;
as much the electronic part is more complicated to me.

If you have bright and economical ideas? ...

To answer nothing prevents to make simple with even the signal short pulse on coil of a watering programmer.
One difficulty is that the watering solenoid valves are very clever with a feedback reaction of the water pressure to keep open without electric current, after very little force coming from the very short pulse of the electromagnet, (less the second but from 6 to 8 Volts and no 1Volt, seen on voltmeter too slow to track and measure with an oscilloscope).

A door strike with electromagnet requires significantly more energy 0,5A and 8 to 12V DC and therefore even with a relay like 5V one has to amplify very cleverly to give the current and voltage needed to control the relay

An ordinary MOSFET power transistor is sufficient for the strike directly

However we must understand a little how it works, if not failures because you have to know what the waste requires (voltage, current and duration of the pulse at least order of magnitude, typical 12V 0,5V and one to two seconds, probably) , and it is necessary to know what gives on its coil the scheduler of watering to derive it on the control of striker transient (which requires an oscilloscope if no luck with a pulse too short command).
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"