The Ehang 184 first drone to man!

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
Christophe

The Ehang 184 first drone to man!

by Christophe » 09/01/16, 15:31

The Chinese have just presented a drone with autonomous piloting which can transport 1 person (100 kg):

100 km / h and 23 minutes of autonomy (which is not bad for a drone)

Many questions remain unanswered:
a) No security in case of breakdown, it will fall like a stone (unlike any plane which can still hover on its momentum)
b) What legislation for use and control (even if everything is automatic a priori, we must be able to take manual control)

In short it will not be tomorrow that we will see it in our European countries!
0 x
simplino
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by simplino » 09/01/16, 16:06

Very nice enthusiastic video !!

Absolutely safe by design !!

They say, after a lot of Chinese deaths !!

Maybe for those in the cabin?, But not for those outside, with these very low mixer knives, to make the meat from the spectators!

Security in China has yet to make progress !!

All the creativity lies in the light batteries and little in the quadcopter actually !!

But this project benefits from enormous means, in this video which seeks credits in the Chinese recession, and they will certainly progress very quickly, to sell original helicopters and very competitive planes !!!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/01/16, 18:18

simplino wrote:Absolutely safe by design !!

Really?

By its very design, a multi-propeller drone is, in my opinion, the most dangerous of flying machines after chemical rockets!

A gyro or one of the engines messing around and it's a guaranteed crash!

What are you basing on this?
Last edited by Christophe the 09 / 01 / 16, 19: 33, 1 edited once.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 09/01/16, 19:15

gently, gently, we don't have the technical doc.

A good point: the counter-rotating propellers cancel the gyroscopic effects to give better maneuverability.

In terms of consumption, I think the concept is very energy consuming, because it is basically a helicopter in quasi-hovering flight.

Indeed, it seems that the machine will be very destabilized if only one rotor is missing ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/01/16, 19:42

I don't think we need a technical doc to understand that a drone is completely unstable in the event of an engine failure or loss of gyroscopic balancing ...

A plane with several engines can very well continue to fly ... provided that it has one left (of the 747s have already landed without too much concern on 1 engine ... and even without an engine but there it is more rare ) ...

And even in the event of a complete failure, an aircraft continues to hover (more or less long depending on the design and initial speed ...) and can avoid a fatal crash ... A drone that has no bearing surface falls like a stone .

A helicopter has a rotor safety mode which more or less slows the fall in the event of a serious failure of the main turbine. This could be applicable on a drone provided a perfect symmetry of all the blades ... and to find a counter torque (therefore braking the electric motors ...)

This is what gives a drone that has a problem, it is the insured crash:

0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 09/01/16, 20:51

The dependability of this aircraft must be assessed keeping in mind the total of the Chinese population ... : Lol:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/01/16, 22:52

Yes I was also thinking about it: Chinese standards must be less strict than in Europe and the USA ...

Besides the video begins by reporting 2 air crashes ... lol
0 x
Surfeurseb
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Surfeurseb » 09/01/16, 23:02

Still imagine that someone knows that the rescue parachutes for aircraft, pyrotechnic extraction, exists. That they are capable of saving light aircraft.
And that a sufficiently well thought out control software will automatically cut all the motors, in case of failure of one of them. Or even take into account a degraded mode, capable of countering the imbalance caused.
We can mock the concept, however we have never been so close to the aircraft within the reach of everyone: drones are now capable of fully automated flight, as long as we tell them where to go. Let the man be in it, just change the scale.
And the feedback from drones, precisely, allows us to refine the technique.
Wait a little longer ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/01/16, 23:12

Yes the parachutes exist but it is 50 to 100kg more. I doubt that it is equipped ... because the design of a drone is, aeronautically, very bad! (but very flexible and practical in local flight and fast maneuver but all this with a reduced duration, this is why they were designed elsewhere ...). That is to say very large energy consumption compared to what exists ...

Yes, I don't think it's 100% negative: it's a definite step forward!

Especially the total automation of piloting, something that is a world first in aeronautics!

But knowing a little aeronautical regulations, I think that this concept will not be allowed in Europe for a long time ... 10 to 15 years I think ... if it is allowed one day ... after in China it may be more quickly tolerated? Already that unmanned drones are subject to all the prohibitions ... then the manned I dare not even think about it!

Anyway considering the price: 200 to 300 k $ (justified ??? and "Chinese" price) it is still not "within the reach of everyone" ...

Maloche has for years in mind to make a VTOL ... once in the air this drone should switch to "airplane" mode, there it will be a great technological advance: a VTOL for all that would take off from anywhere or almost ... But that would be a disaster for the aviation regulations! : Mrgreen:

Technologically the transition phase of the 2 flight modes is quite problematic. Boeing has taken 20 years to develop V22 Osprey and it has cost the lives of quite a few pilots: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing-Bell_V-22_Osprey and we cannot say that Boeing lacks means ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/16, 08:29

In fact it is the principle of terrafugia tfx

It is beautiful the synthetic images ... what about reality?

new-transport / Terrafugia-true-wheel vehicle-hybrid-car-plane t7868.html
0 x

Back to "Electric transport: cars, bicycles, public transport, planes ..."