Philosophy: Some quotes to ponder

philosophical debates and companies.
Christophe

Philosophy: Some quotes to ponder

by Christophe » 20/04/07, 11:15

Received by e-mail some are archies known, I do not understand them all : Cheesy: and I particularly like the ones I put in bold: econology will win : Mrgreen:

"Whoever devotes every moment of his time to his growth does not look forward to the next day or fear it." Seneca

"Do not judge the day by the evening harvest but by the seeds you have sown." RL Stevenson

"Simplicity is the perfect harmony between the beautiful, the useful and the just ..." Franck Lloyd Wright

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever." Buddha

"The follies are the only things you never regret." Oscar Wilde

"I decided to be happy because it's good for your health." Voltaire

"The seven social faults of humanity are politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without will, business without morals, science without humanism, and religion without sacrifice." Gandhi

"It's time to start living the life you've been dreaming of." Henry james

"Everything that men have done beautiful and good, they have built with their dreams ..." Bernard Moitessier

"A fault that prevents men from acting is not to feel what they are capable of." Bossuet

"Measure your strengths by your aspirations, not your aspirations by your strength." Adam mickiewicz

"All that is not given is lost." Mother Teresa

"We start to age when we replace our dreams with regrets." Seneca

"We must draw our rules of behavior from the natural world. We must respect, with the humility of the Sages, the limits of nature and the mystery they hide, recognizing that there is something in the order of the living which is obviously beyond our competence. " Vaclav Havel

"In any field, perfection is finally achieved not when there is nothing more to add but when there is nothing more to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"Do not seek the fault, seek the remedy." Henry ford

"Experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him." Aldous huxley

"Each man must invent his way." Jean paul Sartre

"Our doubts are traitors, and rob us of what good we could often gain, because we are afraid to try." William Shakespeare

"Devotees lift the world and skeptics let it fall." Albert Guinon

"There would be something to make many happy with all the happiness that is lost in this world." Duke of Levy

"You tell me, I forget. You teach me, I remember. You involve me, I learn." Benjamin franklin

"If an idea doesn't initially seem absurd, then there is no hope that it will turn into something." Albert Einstein

"For most of us, the biggest danger is not having too high a goal and not reaching it, but rather having too little ambition and reaching it." Michelangelo

"Make your life a dream, and a dream a reality." Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"We always have a choice. We are even the sum of our choices." Joseph O'Connor

"You must always reserve the right to laugh the day after your ideas the day before." Bonaparte

"In truth, the path does not matter, the will to arrive is enough for everything." Albert Camus

"There are many things that only seem impossible until you've tried them." Andre Gide

"Where danger grows, what saves grows." Rainer Maria Rilke
"It is properly worth nothing to be of no use to anyone." René Descartes

"When we believe we are serving others, we are only serving ourselves through them." La Rochefoucauld

"Be careful what you want, for you will get it." Chinese proverb

"The supreme wisdom was to have dreams big enough not to lose sight of them while you were chasing them." Francis Scott Fitzgerald

"Whether you think you can do something, or you think you can't, you are absolutely right." Henry ford

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

"The voyage of discovery is not to seek new landscapes but to see things differently." Marcel Proust

"Let's just make people think. Let's not try to convince." Georges Braque

"To live all simply so that all can simply live." Gandhi

"You can be a hero without ravaging the earth." Nicolas boileau

"Setting an example is not one way to influence, it is the only one." Albert Schweitzer

"A falling tree makes a lot of noise; a germinating forest you can't hear." Gandhi

"In life, nothing is to be feared, everything is to be understood." Marie Curie

"To educate is not to fill vessels but to light fires." Michel Montaigne

"The problem with a rat race is that even if you come out on top, you are still a rat." Lily tomlin

"I don't know of any other marks of superiority than kindness." Beethoven

"In life, there are two categories of individuals: those who look at the world as it is and wonder why. Those who imagine the world as it should be and who say to themselves: why not?" Georges-Bernard Shaw

"Everything that is not being born is dying." George harrison

"The happiest man is the one who brings happiness to a greater number of others." Diderot

"The world's problems cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can imagine what never existed." John F. Kennedy

"On earth everything has a function, each disease a herb to cure it, each person a mission." Indian wisdom

"The secret of life is to have a mission, something you give your all to ... And most importantly, it's something totally out of reach." Henri moore

"You have to have a very high idea, not of what you do, but of what you could do one day. Otherwise, you don't have to work." Edgar Degas

“It may be that the only limits to the human mind are those we believe in.” - Willis Harman

"Bravery is still the surest attitude. Things lose their terror in being looked in the face." Alexandra David-Neel

"Whatever you dream of doing, start it. Boldness has genius, power, magic." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Better take the change by the hand before it takes us by the throat." Winston Churchill

"Never doubt that a small group of conscious and committed individuals can change the world. This is how it always happened." Margaret mead

"Can a man be less wise than a bird?" Confucius

“Know how to move away, because when you return to your work, your judgment will be more certain.” Leonardo da Vinci

"We should be good to others as naturally as the horse gallops, the bee makes honey, or the vine produces bunches of grapes, season after season, without thinking of those of previous years." Marcus Aurelius

"If you treat an individual as he is, he will remain what he is. But if you treat him as if he is what he should and can become, then he will become what he should and can be." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Never look down on anyone, unless it is to help them rise." Rev. Jesse jackson

"I expect God to give me the humility to accept what cannot be changed, the courage to change what can be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish one from the other." Sister Emmanuelle

"It is not being good for anything to be good only for yourself." Voltaire

"I count cheerfulness among the proofs of my wisdom". Nietzsche

"If pessimism is in the mood, optimism is in the will." Alain

"There is no other revolution possible than to try to improve yourself. If everyone tries something, the world will be better." Georges brassens

"With our thoughts, we create the world." Buddha

"Pick a job you love and you won't have to work a day in your life." Confucius

"The merry always heal." François Rabelais

"We should try to be happy, if only to set an example." Jacques Prévert

"It is high time to replace the ideal of success with that of service." Albert Einstein

"Make the dream devour your life so that life does not devour your dream."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"You shouldn't try to add more years to your life, but rather try to add life to your years." John F. Kennedy

"Success is not about never making mistakes, it's about never doing the same thing twice." George bernard shaw

"Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness." Lao Tzu

"The duty now is to be happy. A more beautiful program there is
Has not. But it is becoming urgent to start teaching in schools
how we do it. "- Françoise Giroud

"Men earn degrees and lose their instincts." Francis Picabia

"Nothing like going to the end of the world to find people who go even further." Pierre Daninos

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

"No problem can be solved without changing the level of consciousness that spawned it." Albert Einstein

"The world's problems cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can imagine what never existed." John F. Kennedy

"You can blame people who bump into each other in the dark or you can light candles. The only mistake is to be aware of a problem by choosing not to act." Paul Hawken

"Reasonable man adapts to the world, unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. All progress therefore depends on unreasonable man".
George Bernard Shaw

"Don't think you've taken the wrong road when you haven't gone far enough." Filbert

"Every man has the right to doubt his task and to fail in it from time to time. The only thing he cannot do is forget it". paulo Coelho

"Just because a problem hasn't been solved doesn't mean it's impossible to solve."
Agatha Christie

"Setting an example is not one way to influence, it is the only one." Albert Schweitzer

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees an opportunity in every difficulty." Winston Churchill

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Gandhi

"I never lose sight of the fact that the mere fact of existing is a chance". Katherine hepburn

"It is the imagination which extends for us the extent of possibilities, and nourishes desires by the hope of satisfying them". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

"I am not a party man, but I defend causes". Theodore Monod

"The first quality of a creator is courage. The courage to face skepticism, conformism and, ultimately, jealousy." Claude Allègre

"Whenever you are in doubt, take the following test: Remember the poorest and weakest person you have met in your life and ask yourself if what you are about to do will be right? of any use ". Gandhi

"We don't inherit the earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children." Indian proverb

“Man sometimes believes that he was created to dominate, to lead. But he is wrong. He is only part of the Whole. His function is not to exploit, but to watch, to be a steward.” Oren Lyons , Iroquois Indian

“O great spirit, give me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change those that I can change, and the wisdom to discern between the two.” Cherokee Indian Prayer

“Everyone's effort makes up the sum of progress.” Victor Hugo

"Nothing is free, nothing is superfluous, the smallest insect, the smallest plant, are indispensable to the general good. Nothing betrays narrow-mindedness more than to consider that a thing is useless because it does not appear to be useful to man. "William Burchell

“No one has any other right than that of always doing one's duty.” Auguste Comte

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.” Seneca

“All of our fears are mortal fears.
All of our dreams are dreams of immortals. "Seneca

“You are never given a desire without being given the power to make it come true.” (Richard Bach.)

"There is no real revolution except that of everyday life." (Slogan of May 68.)

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is the inaction of good people.” (Edmond Burke.)

“The world will only be saved by rebels.” (Gide.)

"Life is a chance, take it
Life is beauty, admire it
Life is a dream, make it a reality
Life is a duty, accomplish it
Life is a game, play it
Life is mystery, pierce it
Life is an adventure, dare it
Life is happiness, deserve it. "(Mother Teresa.)
Last edited by Christophe the 23 / 03 / 12, 13: 07, 1 edited once.
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 20/04/07, 18:30

The experience is when you make a bullshit remind you that you have already done it.

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
Misterloxo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Misterloxo » 22/04/07, 12:43

Not bad the list ...
0 x
Learning disobedience is a long process. It takes a lifetime to reach perfection. "Maurice Rajsfus
To think is to say no. "Alain, philosopher
Wind Howler
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Wind Howler » 07/03/08, 23:07

When the word reaches the essential, and joins the beauty

the rest ... the Kilowatt, the dollars or the Euros, the agitation that does not make more sense than that of the wasps in a jar ... if it has no other meaning than itself - failing to find one, people end up killing one another.

A lineage of wise men has come among you to bring you wisdom,
But I came for you to give me some of that wisdom you already had (Khalil Gibran)

- The longest journey begins with a first step (Confucius, Gorbachev etc ...)
(But traveling is not wandering)

- Everyone knew the impossible thing,
But these innocents did not know it.
Then they did it. (Jean Cocteau)

It is a duty to love oneself,
It is a duty to be happy,
For we can give to others only what we have (Windjammer)

Give me six hours to cut down a tree and I will pass the first four to sharpen the ax (Abraham Lincoln)

To choose is to renounce the rest (Virginie Heriot)

"I walk ... if my wife thinks I'm alive, she knows I'm walking ... if my friends think I'm alive, they know I'm walking. So I'm a bastard if I don't ... (Henri Guillaumet)
"what I did ... no beast would have done." (the same)
0 x
oliburn
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by oliburn » 08/03/08, 07:21

Still a small !!! Where my signature is extracted ...

"We should not believe in traditions because they have been handed down from ancient times,
Nor to believe on the simple authority of our masters or instructors ...
But we can put into practice a writing, a doctrine or an affirmation
When the just understanding we have of them and our intimate experience confirm them.

Be your own torch, your own refuge, your own master ... "- Buddha
0 x
Be your own torch, your own refuge, your own master ... "
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/03/08, 17:39

Windjammer wrote:To choose is to renounce the rest (Virginie Heriot)

Uh, is not that Marcel Pagnol?

Not bad the others although I did not understand them all ... : Cheesy:
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 08/03/08, 17:43

In the same vein, but I do not know who:

"They didn't know it was impossible, so we did."

I sometimes displease my interlocutors very much by presenting them an idea by specifying: "I absolutely do not want you to criticize what I am going to say, I ask you to tell me what you could do to make it possible or to make it happen. 'improve"

Another that is one of the basic principles of Psycho-Linguistic Programming:
Bad news: you do not have access to reality
Good news: you can change the idea you have.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 08/03/08, 18:25

elephant wrote:I absolutely do not want you to criticize what I'm going to say, I'm asking you to tell me what you could do to make it possible or to improve it

To remind trollers.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 09/03/08, 17:48

I also discover, the depth of the look of NTM ...
(until the end...)
Singer, rarely honored
: Lol:
http://www.jp-petit.org/EVASION/poemes.htm#8_3_08
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 13/03/08, 13:38

:?
Recently, I confessed to a friend "close to nature" that I had heated all winter, my house, with new pallets ...
I found his answer very touching:
He said "This is sin"
Nothing to add ... it's right .... funny period ...
0 x

Back to "Society and Philosophy"