Help to configure my regulator

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Help to configure my regulator

by darwenn » 05/01/18, 11:44

Hello, I have for 2 years a mppt 30A regulator, for 3 solar panels 12V 110W each. And my 130 A / H battery was, once the sun went down only charged at 65 or 70% even if it had been sunny all day and the regulator cut the charge when the battery was full. I already found it strange that the battery voltage dropped to 12.5 V / 65 or 70% (slow discharge battery). I put a new battery of the same type and the phenomenon is the same. So either it is normal to have a battery only charged to 70% or the regulator is misconfigured. When the charge is full it sends the surplus to a 4W 12V bulb that I put (I have nothing else to put on it), but the weird thing is that this bulb stays on if I pull on the battery, when it should shut off and the regulator resume charging. He takes it back well but the bulb remains on. Normal?

I have configured the regulator to cut the charge once 13.8V (PV OFF) is reached in the battery
But I do not understand the relationship with the LOAD ON at 12.8 V and the LOAD-OFF at 10.8 V

In the photo the charge is 78% because the day has risen but the sky is gray (only 2A of power)

So how do I properly configure my regulator? Because I have the intuition that he shot me already 2 batteries, and to, with a new one I do not want to start again.

DSC_0102.JPG

Thank you.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Help to configure my regulator

by Gaston » 05/01/18, 13:54

darwenn wrote:When the charge is full it sends the surplus to a 4W 12V bulb that I put (I have nothing else to put on it), but the weird thing is that this bulb stays on if I pull on the battery, when it should shut off and the regulator resume charging. He takes it back well but the bulb remains on. Normal?
I think you've made a mistake: the "LOAD" terminals are not for connecting a powered device in case of overload, but for connecting what you need to power (instead of connecting them directly to the battery).
A PV regulator (unlike a wind turbine) does not need a dissipation system in the event of an overload, it simply stops charging the battery.
Be careful however to the power available on the LOAD terminals if you use large consumers ...

darwenn wrote:I have configured the regulator to cut the charge once 13.8V (PV OFF) is reached in the battery
For a lead-acid battery, the full charge is more than 14V. (14,4V in general). That may explain why your battery is never full.

darwenn wrote:But I do not understand the relationship with the LOAD ON at 12.8 V and the LOAD-OFF at 10.8 V
It must correspond to the safety thresholds in discharge: if the battery drops to 10,8V, consumers connected to LOAD are stopped (so as not to damage the battery) and they are only recharged when it goes back above 12,8V
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 05/01/18, 14:15

Thank you Gaston

Oh ok. So I have to set the PV OFF setting to 14.4V and not 13.8V is that right?

On the other hand I am worried about the LOAD output, because that would mean that it is on this output that I must connect my converter 12V -> 220V Is it correct (because currently directly connected to the battery)? I have a 10 square wire section, it is a 1500W converter. Can I still plug it into the LOAD output? Knowing that I never consume more than 300W at the same time (summer)?
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 05/01/18, 14:21

darwenn wrote:Oh ok. So I have to set the PV OFF setting to 14.4V and not 13.8V is that right?
The best would be to check with the characteristics of your battery the maximum charging voltage.

darwenn wrote:On the other hand I am worried about the LOAD output, because that would mean that it is on this output that I must connect my converter 12V -> 220V Is it correct (because currently directly connected to the battery)? I have a 10 square wire section, it is a 1500W converter. Can I still plug it into the LOAD output? Knowing that I never consume more than 300W at the same time (summer)?
In my opinion, the LOAD output does not support 1500W, and probably just 300W.
If you want to take advantage of the safety provided by the regulator, you could use the LOAD output to power a relay (or equivalent) which cuts the converter when the battery voltage drops. It is also possible that this automatic shutdown already exists in the converter. In this case, you just have to ignore the LOAD output.
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 05/01/18, 14:32

Yes, the automatic shutdown of the converter is done from a certain threshold and it turns back on once the battery is recharged, this is why I have never been interested in this LOAD output.
0 x

Back to "Renewable energy: solar electricity"