Construction of a shelter, house, birdhouse in Chauves-Souris

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Christophe

Construction of a shelter, house, birdhouse in Chauves-Souris

by Christophe » 11/06/18, 23:41

Hotels with (good) insects are fashionable but another interesting hotel to place in its garden is shelter, birdhouse or hotel in Chauves-Souris.

Indeed in summer, when you are overwhelmed by insects (the unwanted ones!) No better than biological control! Why did not I think about it earlier?

A bat can eat thousands of insects a night, so a hotel in Chauves-Souris can be beneficial for an entire neighborhood, see a small village!

I begin to learn. Then I will quickly move on to the realization. As I have room in the garden, I think to do several types to see the one that works best compared to my biotype. I have a pond at 200m and a forest at 300m from the garden, so the conditions are good for attracting bats. Moreover, about ten years ago I saw one wounded in the cellar.

You can easily find dozens of plans on the internet. Here is a page that presents 37 types (so you have to choose the right one!)

https://morningchores.com/bat-house-plans/

And here is a complete .pdf (but in English):
Bat 20House%%% 20Builders 20Handbook.pdf
(2.22 million) Downloaded times 1176

Has anyone here ever done this? What results? Return? Advice?
0 x
Christophe

Re: Construction of a house (hotel) in Chauves-Souris

by Christophe » 11/06/18, 23:43

0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 12/06/18, 00:42

I admit to have always seen flutter in summer and out of different roofs that I lived.

I am a little more circumspect on their appetite even if it is certain that it is better to have than the opposite.

But for mosquitoes especially not that the altitudes of the two critters are unfortunately.

That said, if we can encourage and protect them, it will only be better :!:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/06/18, 01:07

0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/06/18, 10:41

The version of the video is too wide for pipistrelles that could be bothered by birds or other cat.

In time, there were shutters at all windows, ideal place to shelter these small winged mammals. With shutters, it works in! : Cry:

They must also have access to attics, cellars and underground to allow them to hibernate http://www.lasciencesimplement.fr/ou-hi ... es-souris/
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/06/18, 11:25

izentrop wrote:The version of the video is too wide for pipistrelles that could be bothered by birds or other cat.

Yes, the opening is far too wide and it lacks the "landing strip". All the other plans I have seen leave vertical spaces reduced in width (a few cm), not at all the case here, so I think this is not a good example to follow ...

Same on this video, except that he does not forget the airstrip:

Must believe that the French are worse than the Americans on this one!

In the documents I found, essentially North American, it is indicated that shelters need to be adapted to local species (size) and climate (temperature, sunshine) ...

What are we like Bats in our latitudes? What Pipistrelles?

Yes for the shutters in the Venetian, one of the plan that I found rests elsewhere on it!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/06/18, 11:40

Christophe wrote:Must believe that the French are worse than the Americans on this one!

Here is one more that seems to me more suitable (reduced vertical spaces, grooves on the track ...)

Well I continue my research ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 12/06/18, 11:48

22 species in the highs of France and all small sizes, 40 to 60 gr https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des ... -de-Calais.
I know that some hibernate in my cellar that I have already photographed with apples (I still eat).
Once I caught one that seemed bigger than the pipistrelles spinning inside. There are traces of their presence at the edge of cracks where they hide.

At dusk, on summer evenings, it's magical to plant in the middle of the garden surrounded by tall trees. They take the place of swallows and move at full speed by shaving trees and you narrowly avoided. It's pretty amazing the energy contained in so little weight.

Top advice brochure from France and Belgium https://hautsdefrance.chambres-agricult ... souris.pdf
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 12/06/18, 17:46

In my home, the pipistrelles lodge under the cladding, because I never finished the framing of doors and windows.

My siding, natural in "Red Cedar" (cedar) and never treated, is held by simple roof slats fixed to the wall. The clapboards are nailed to these slats. I deduce that this width suits them perfectly. You need a rough surface in it that they can grab onto.

The pipistrelle is a small bat, common at home and used to live near the man:

http://www.onf.fr/activites_nature/somm ... index.html

In an issue of the magazine "Four Seasons of Organic Gardening", there was a diagram which took up precisely this principle: two wooden plates, separated by a roof batten, closed at the top ...

There is that which seems to me nice (and right): https://www.18h39.fr/articles/cette-sta ... dapte.html
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 12/06/18, 18:00

Christophe wrote:
What are we like Bats in our latitudes? What Pipistrelles?

Oh no !

https://www.sfepm.org/especesChiropteres.htm
0 x