Storm in a glass of water by water convection

Various experiences made by members of the forums concerning in particular small household appliances and energy management.
Christophe

Storm in a glass of water by water convection

by Christophe » 04/02/10, 16:34

During the palm oil trials ( https://www.econologie.com/forums/stocker-de ... t7421.html ) I was able to observe "live" convection movements of a "heat transfer" water which is heated from below and cooled from above.

As the water was charged (probably bacterial development), we can observe some nice convection movements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOgXZ8-VOy8

This is the kind of thing I would have liked to do at school ...

The "peat" phenomenon is especially visible on the left (hotter because towards the center of the stove)
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 04/02/10, 17:47

weird, I would have thought that the water would rise in the center and go down to the periphery. or the bottom of the jar is not the hot spot?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/02/10, 17:55

Oh that's the mysteries of physics. There is also no symmetry between the left and the right when in theory it should (double swirl)

I think the hot spring (the stove) is hotter on the left than on the right and the water is still heated by radiation as it rises along the left wall.

The flask is not placed in the center but the right side of the stove the center of the flask is 15-20 cm from the edge (back and side).

Personally it's the speed of movement that impressed me I did not think it was so fast ...

Otherwise kk1 would have any idea what are the "silver flakes" that appeared in the water? : Lol:
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 04/02/10, 18:18

limestone?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/02/10, 18:21

Uh no I don't think it "shines" too much (difficult to see on the video) and there was none "at the beginning".

I am thinking of a bacterial development but which one? Mystery...
0 x

Back to "econological Laboratory: different experiences for econologic"