Kuwait's Burganian mega-oil field (1,4 mb / d) dies

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Kuwait's Burganian mega-oil field (1,4 mb / d) dies

by freddau » 27/09/09, 14:22

Burgan's mega-oil field in Kuwait (1,4 mb / d) has only about 10 years to live. Global crude oil production declines 6,7% per year (Gerson Lehman Group)

Production from the world's second-largest oil field may decline without the help of international oil companies. Kuwait, which produces 2.2 million bbl / day, has failed to renew agreements with several international oil companies including BP and Chevron.

The Burgan, second in size only to Ghawar in Saudi Arabia, has an estimated capacity of 1.4-1.5 million bbl / day. It possibly could have been maintained for more than 10 years. Without expertise the production will decline in five years.

Burgan, is far, far down the depletion trail and barring new as yet unknown technology will reach abandonment stage within 10-20 years.

The same fate awaits large numbers of supergiant fields including Ghawar, Samotlor (in Russia), Agha Jari, Ahwaz, Gach Saran, Marun (all in Iran), the Bolivar Costal fields of Venezuela, Cantarell (much in the news) in Mexico, Huntington Beach, Long Beach and Wilmington in California, East Texas and Yates in Texas and Prudhoe Bay in Alaska.

The increasing decline rates for these fields is a major contributor to the worldwide black oil decline rate, now estimated at 6.7% / year and increasing.

These depressing statistics mean that other sources of transportation fuel are urgently required.

On the Web :

The Oil Drum: Analysis of Decline Rate (pdf)
http://www.theoildrum.com/pdf/theoildrum_4820.pdf

Sources Gerson Lehman Group
http://www.glgroup.com/News/Burgan-fabl ... 43526.html

http://contreinfo.info/breve.php3?id_breve=7353
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 27/09/09, 16:41

: Arrow: This is the kind of info that will make you smile Dirk Pitt. 8)
For years, he has shown us, with good reason, an avatar that illustrates Peak oil (decline in world oil production due to depletion of reserves).

To date, no politician or economist has relayed this kind of information. : Evil: :x

I no longer remember who said (a great scientist) that humanity will have disappeared long before the end of oil reserves, because of the consequences of the use of said oil ...

The worst part is that oil tankers and other opportunists even hope to take advantage of global warming to exploit the oil deposits they think they will find near the North Pole ...
: Cry:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/09/09, 21:46

Moué is not because the mega deposits of the 20th century are running out that it is the end of oil ...

To be nuanced therefore with, for example, this video interview with Le Floch Prigent
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 27/09/09, 22:02

: Arrow: This does not change the fact that it IS URGENT to stop wasting oil as we do in transportation ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/09/09, 22:06

I have never said the opposite ... but it is especially in heating that we waste oil!

Pkoi? Because unlike transport (I am not talking only about the private car) where there are not really serious alternatives to petroleum, for heating, solutions that can be applied immediately, we have them !!

It's called: insulation, solar and ... behavior changes!

Anyway, I just want to say: there will still be a lot of oil in 2100 ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 27/09/09, 22:52

Christophe wrote:I have never said the opposite ... but it is especially in heating that we waste oil!

Pkoi? Because unlike transport (I am not talking only about the private car) where there are not really serious alternatives to petroleum, for heating, solutions that can be applied immediately, we have them !!

It's called: insulation, solar and ... behavior changes!
Yes, it is true that for me, it went without saying ... :?
You are right to remember. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/09/09, 23:00

Roooh don't take the fly ...

I know that 60% of people could be satisfied with a second electric car but I specified "not only cars" ...

For the moment I have never seen any electric road transport trucks whatsoever ... not even in dreams in the manufacturers' pipoproto ...

Just a few hybrid prototypes and electric garbage trucks ...

However it is not the surface which would be lacking to put there some ten m² of PV :)
0 x
Lounes
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Lounes » 27/09/09, 23:35

However it is not the surface which would be lacking to put there some ten m² of PV

Totally, and it's not the only place where we could place ... trains for example! But only in outdoor use it goes without saying ... the roof of the stations also. In this context alone, we have to reach colossal surfaces! : Shock: Not to mention the trains that remain parked in outdoor areas. I also know that there are plans to exploit the pylons that hold the power cables via small wind turbines, to see the future of this type of project. Although it seems to me that there are a lot of problems compared to its small wind turbines, it requires relatively substantial equipment to inject current into the network with regard to production ...
Anyone know the number of trains running in Europe? The number of stations? In addition for trains it is very practical, they run mainly during the day : Cheesy:

For wind turbines: http://www.noe.org/fr/les-pilnes-rseau- ... 760p1.html

Coming back to the subject, I don't think, amha, that the policies have foreseen a real decrease in the availability of oil ... just a sharp increase in the price.
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 28/09/09, 05:20

Good evening

on the site you refer to, there is talk of overhead catenary pylons, they are very numerous in France and around the world ... but again it is about, among other things, impact studies concerning noise, l aspect, the risk of collision with birds: in my opinion, current trains kill more birds than existing wind turbines in France ... on the other hand, obviously those who talk about putting these wind turbines themselves take the train, but on the other hand should not often watch trains pass in the countryside, when their speed is the highest: there is a lot of turbulence and very often at a respectable distance (several meters), enough to make the north lose many of them (with wind turbines of course) and not only the north, their blades would be put to the test. and not all railways are electrified!

as for the PV, why not, there are gigantic unoccupied surfaces, but beyond saying that they will be ideal for this use, I ask to see: for example, the Larzac plateau, there is plenty of free space, without culture, without forest because swept by a lot of wind, therefore ideal for wind power ... but it will distort the landscape, endanger birds, etc ...

setting up wind turbines in a marine environment, close to the coast: but birds living along the coast, you also have to think about it: seagulls, gulls, and other birds ... without forgetting storms, waves, sea air and l water (salty, even very salty) ... and the location note will also be very salty!

finally it is among the fiercest environmentalists that we find the most opponents of wind turbines, to believe that they prefer by far a good nuclear reactor, to many other solutions.

jeff
0 x
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 28/09/09, 05:53

re

the large deposits are dying, and the prices will re-increase: the tar sands of Canada will and should become profitable again ... bad time for the ecology in perspective.

jeff
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."