Loire - Blocking a dairy

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Loire - Blocking a dairy

by recyclinage » 17/08/09, 13:52

Monday morning, farmers from the Peasant Confederation blocked a milk processing plant in Andrézieux-Bouthéon. The operation, led by around fifty farmers from the Loire and Rhône regions, started around 03:00 a.m.

The blockade targets a Lactalis factory for manufacturing fresh dairy products, yogurts and desserts, which has 300 employees. The farmers thus intend to "denounce the attitude of industrialists who do not pay milk producers correctly".

france 3 news source
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/08/09, 14:17

Instead of blocking (to get what? More subsidies? 2 cents on the price of milk? And after? It is an additional survival time and in 2 years it starts again for the worse?), they just have to do more sales or direct processing ... and shunt these big groups that make back margins to die!

A milkman near florenville has just installed a machine Dairy identical to this one:

It happened on RTBF news yesterday I think ...
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 17/08/09, 16:33

He does not seem so unhappy the peasant next to the distributor.

If there weren't his baskets in a sorry state, the demonstrations
of these farmers would not be credible. As much as it seems
not so skinny as that.

It’s funny it even has an Econology T-shirt.
say, they do not deprive themselves of anything .... and it still dares to miss.

: Cheesy:
0 x
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Korben Dallas » 17/08/09, 21:55

Christophe wrote:Instead of blocking (to get what? More subsidies? 2 cents on the price of milk? And after? It is an additional survival time and in 2 years it starts again for the worse?), they just have to do more sales or direct processing ... and shunt these big groups that make back margins to die!

A milkman near florenville has just installed a machine Dairy identical to this one:

It happened on RTBF news yesterday I think ...

What does this machine do? Is it just a vending machine for milk ??
Edit: I have my answer by searching on Google.

Apart from this question, my youngest daughter, who dreams of becoming a dairy farmer, has just completed a 2-week internship on a modest farm near my home. She returned in September to 1st in an agricultural bac in animal production.

When I went to look for it at the end of the internship, I asked the farmer why he did not do direct processing and sales himself, precisely to improve his margin level and not depend on purchasing centers much more powerful than him. . The answer is quite simple: you can't improvise "cheese". In addition, the rules and standards of hygiene required tend to discourage this type of approach. Finally, a farmer is already a full-time job, so how could he find the time to develop another activity?

I myself think about all this. I am responsible for the design office in a company that equips the cheese factories. Why not combine the dairy production of my daughter's future farm with the production of cheeses? But is it that simple?
Last edited by Korben Dallas the 18 / 08 / 09, 08: 31, 1 edited once.
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 17/08/09, 22:09

For a while I bought milk directly from the farm.
50 cts / l. The farmer was getting a very good deal (compare
at the price he sells his milk to the truck) and me too
especially as this milk still tastes better than that
sold in supermarkets. It has more body, a real taste
of cow .Bref a regal. This milk reminded me of my youth,
my parents having a cow to water the calves we
were.

Unfortunately for 2 years, the farmer no longer wants to sell me
his milk. The regulations have become too strict.
damage despite occasional suspicious debris
floated in milk, I’ve never been sick. Not even a
At 5 we cheerfully drank our 3 to 4 L by
day.
0 x
bobono
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Blocking a dairy

by bobono » 18/08/09, 10:13

I like the proposal to get the milk producers out of misery.

There is only what to do this or that without asking the question if it is realistic or not and without knowing the question well seated in front of the television.

So please close it if you don't know the subject.

Price is one thing, production cost is another.

Find the causes of the problem and the solutions will naturally impose themselves

Milk for years to benefit from a guaranteed purchase price, the good deal, no matter the cost of production since I have the margin. The more I produce the more I earn then the quota arrived. With their share of injustice ( to death the little ones).

Production quotas = all the same production quantities guaranteed with guaranteed buy-back price. Only the vagaries of the weather could come to pose a problem from time to time.
Abolition of quotas, production which explodes and suffers from collapse.

Production cost

The corn silage which to replace the feeding of cows in fifty years by simplifying and ensuring a feeding but on the other hand the costs exploded for example.

A single farmer can operate 200 dairy cows, whereas in traditional A household was 10 ha and 10 cows to support the family.

I know farmers who have abandoned corn silage by another technique based on grass and beets without mechanization.
The economic results are very good.

The madness of grandeur, milking robots, large tractor,
0 x
Korben Dallas
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Korben Dallas » 18/08/09, 10:50

Thank you bobono for this lighting, even if often, I had a hard time reading you (absent words).

Myself, who worked for a long time in the manufacturing industry, I am aware of the production costs.

My daughter wanting to focus on this agricultural sector, to help her build her business plan later, I therefore sought to know the cost price of a liter of milk in "traditional" operation ... and it seems taboo. Impossible to have this information in a simple way! The farmers I have consulted do not seem to know him ... which is surprising when you are a business owner. I rather think that they did not want to reveal it to me.

So, as you said, they reason in reverse: they negotiate as they can (sometimes in violence) purchase prices, to hope to live from their production.

What I understand in what you say is that ensiled corn is very expensive to produce? What did cows eat before? Soybean meal imported from the USA? Pasture?

Can you STP tell us more about the economic results of the farmers who abandoned corn silage in favor of grass and beets (what is their cost of production for example)?

Thank you in advance for your information :D
0 x
bobono
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Blocking of dairies

by bobono » 18/08/09, 13:55

Dallas. I'm going to try to answer some of your questions.

When did corn appear in the cows' feed and what was their feed before? .

Around the 1960s 1970 appeared the corn silage (Normandy, Brittany and other regions certainly) in the dairy ration.

Advantage = Large quantity of food available and above all can depend on the weather, requires little labor for harvesting with mechanization big tractor big machine etc.

Unsuitable = Corn but needs protein (imported soybeans) to make a balanced ration. Increase in veterinary costs since unbalanced ration etc.

Before the appearance of quotas, silage made it possible to produce milk in large quantities, without the cows going out in the fields for certain and the small farms disappeared little by little.

What the cows ate before the arrival of corn but silage. It is quite simply grass in summer and hay in winter + a few beets but the annual milk production per cow was 3 liters. currently it is around 000 per cow.

That it is the cost price of a liter of milk. Obviously no one can answer this question since the charges per farm are not the same for everyone.

The great novelty for feeding cattle without but silage is the harvesting of loose hay with drying in the shed and distribution in bulk too.
Advantage Secure harvesting, low cost, little material for harvesting, better product for the consumer.

Like the generalization of methane in all farms. there is a lot of room for progress, which is what can give hope for the young generation who will take over tomorrow.
0 x
C moa
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by C moa » 18/08/09, 17:56

I just stumbled upon this representation in the world.

It seems that the dark green corresponds to the gross margin but I have some questions about its calculation because the representation does not present the cost of each step but good ....

If all that is right, I make two findings hot:
1 - It is better to be a distributor than a farmer (but that we already knew) because in cumulated distributor + radius we arrive at 45% of margin. It is very well paid distributor !!!
2 - It is better to be a processor than a farmer. Here we talk about turning milk into ... milk not cheese, butter, cream or other. 25% to go from a whole milk in bulk to a semi skimmed milk cardboard or bottle, I think it is well paid too ....

For the second part, processors and distributors seem less greedy except that they are often the same (see organization of intermarket for example).

Otherwise, concerning the cost price, I have a cousin who told me that for his parents' farm that he wanted to take over he had to sell his milk for 3 francs per liter (it goes up a bit). They had 40 groins of dairy cows which they took to the fields. They also had silage stocks (probably in addition).

I do not know if they were part of the big farms (I think not) but when the retirement sounded for his parents, he did not take it because not enough quotas and bought another next.

Today with 32 cts, I do not know if he is doing (without the subsidies in any case).

When I went to look for it at the end of the internship, I asked the farmer why he did not do direct processing and sales himself, precisely to improve his margin level and not depend on purchasing centers much more powerful than him. . The answer is quite simple: you can't improvise "cheese".
I do not know if it is a good example, if they are doing better than the others but this is what we find in my village.http://www.fermeduchardonnet.fr/produits?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_Perso.tpl&product_id=31&category_id=5

Maybe a track to dig for you and your daughter ...
0 x
It is difficult to single !!!
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Loire: lifting of the blocking of a dairy by the Confederation

by recyclinage » 18/08/09, 21:11

#
Loire: lifting of the blocking of a dairy by the Confédération paysanne
18/08/2009-[18:44] - AFP

SAINT-ETIENNE, August 18, 2009 (AFP) - Several dozen farmers from the Paysanne Confederation, who had been blocking a Andrézieux-Bouthéon (Loire) dairy since Monday morning, broke camp on Tuesday around 16 p.m., but intended to do more other actions the next day, according to a union source.

"We met administrators and a manager of the Lactalis dairy, but without results and we left a bit dejected," André Bouchut, national secretary of the Confédération Paysanne, told AFP. The demonstrators, who are protesting against the drop in the price of milk, have been blocking the entrance to this factory of the Lactalis group which employs 3 people since Monday at 00:300 a.m., despite an interim order from the TGI of Montbrison (Loire), asking them to free access. Mr. Bouchut remained mysterious as to the nature of the actions that the Confederation intended to take on Wednesday.

france info news source
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."