The benefits of organic food, questioned

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The benefits of organic food, questioned

by recyclinage » 31/07/09, 10:22

The benefits of the "bio" in question
Marc Mennessier

A stand of primeurs on an organic market in Paris. The study calls into question the nutritional benefits of this type of diet.

According to a British study, products from organic farming would not be better for health. These results, however, do not take into account the presence or absence of pesticide residues in the diet.

Hard blow for fans of food stamped "organic"! According to a study released Wednesday by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, organically grown products are no healthier than regular foods and offer no additional nutritional benefits. Whether it is calcium, iron or vitamin C intake.

To come to this conclusion, researchers at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine conducted a systematic review of 162 scientific studies published on the subject over the past 50 years. "From a nutritional point of view, there is currently no evidence in favor of choosing organic products rather than conventionally produced foods," said Alan Dangour, one of the authors of this report produced for the account of the Food Standards Agency (FSA), the UK food standards agency. Some slight differences were noted but they are not statistically significant. In any case, "it is unlikely that they are of any importance with regard to public health", continues Mr. Dangour. “The study does not tell people to no longer buy organic food, tempers Gill Fine, one of the FSA officials, ensuring that his organization is neither for nor against organic. But it is absolutely essential to provide the public with precise information so that they can make an informed choice about what to eat. ”

This is not the first time that the nutritional benefits of organic food are being questioned. In France, a report published in 2003 by the French Food Safety Agency (AFSSA) had already arrived at the same conclusions as its British counterpart. "The small discrepancies or trends taken individually, which may have been demonstrated for some nutrients and in some studies between the chemical composition and the nutritional value of products from organic farming or conventional agriculture, do not appear. significant in terms of nutritional intake, "concluded this document which always refers.

A market of 2,5 billion euros

"The conclusions of these two studies are very oriented, rises Cécile Frissur, general delegate of Synabio, the National Union of organic processors who criticizes the researchers for not taking into account" methods of organic farming respectful of the environment and ultimately the health of consumers ".

In fact, the FSA study did not address the levels of pesticide residues and other pollutants found in organic or conventional foods. Chemical insecticides are excluded from the specifications of organic farming, the vast majority of organic products are exempt, as found Afssa in 2003. And when we find it is at levels much lower than those detected in conventional products. But for the latter, the residue levels are in the great majority below the maximum residue limits (MRLs), and therefore at concentrations that are a priori safe for the consumer. The difference between organic and non-organic remains very relative, even on this criterion.

It remains to be seen whether consumers will continue to pay on average 25% more expensive (but sometimes much more) products that do not bring a more obvious in terms of health. And who do not necessarily taste better. "In France, sales continue to grow with a market that has grown from 1,6 2,5 billion euros in three years," said Élisabeth Mercier, Agency bio. But in some countries, like in Britain, organic purchases are falling because of the crisis

Curb the news source
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/07/09, 10:30

According to a study released Wednesday by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, organically grown products are no healthier than regular foods and offer no additional nutritional benefits. Whether it is calcium, iron or vitamin C intake.

: Shock: : Shock: but I hallucinate?

Nutrition scientists who limit "food intake" to Ca, Fe and Vitamin C and who neglect "pollutants" such as pesticides? Am I dreaming?

It's an infamy or a mistake of journalism more ... : Evil: : Evil:

In addition, organic is not limited to the "product", it also has an impact on culture. So what about the impact on agrarian soils? Because organic farming is also this: less impoverishing the soil ...
Last edited by Christophe the 31 / 07 / 09, 11: 44, 1 edited once.
0 x
Oliver Twist
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Oliver Twist » 31/07/09, 10:46

Well, they are paid by the phytosanitary industry.

When we know that in addition to being stuffed with pesticides, non-organic products are almost all irradiated (ionized), there are no vitamins left!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/07/09, 10:54

Oliver Twist wrote:Well, they are paid by the phytosanitary industry.

Well, when I read such foolishness, I seriously start asking myself ...

It's style: we remove the criteria that disturb and hop we make something "clean" ...

But if they are paid, I think they are also paid by the pharmaceutical industry, even agri-food ... a cancer earns them so much money that they could not live without it ...

Gold good nutrition and cancer prevention are strongly linked ...
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 31/07/09, 11:18

Counter-arguments typical of studies sponsored by people who have an interest in this organic culture remains marginal ... :frown:

Initially, the organic culture allows:
- not to poison the soil,
- not to poison consumers,
- to take into consideration natural life cycles and life in soils,
- incidentally, to produce products of better quality, at least taste (and if it's better for other criteria, so much the better, it's a bonus!)

The big problem is that the general public will only remember one thing: "BIO is more expensive and it's not better!"

Appalling...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/07/09, 11:20

Hihihi, I knew you would appreciate the "info" ... Lumberjack ... sorry it's not funny at all ... but hey now that the damage is done ...

What worries me is the French media relaying this English study ... we will see if it "comes out" from Figaro ... I hope not!
0 x
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by recyclinage » 31/07/09, 20:47

A group of British scientists question the benefits of organic farming: organic products would not be healthier than any other food. But the results of their study are disputed ...

A new discredit hits organic products. Researchers from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine have come to the following conclusion: organic products are not healthier and do not provide additional nutritional benefits compared to conventional products. There are a few differences, but they are not statistically significant. "They are unlikely to be of any importance to public health," said Alan Dagour, one of the authors of the report commissioned by the UK Food Standards Agency, the FSA. To reach these conclusions they examined 162 scientific studies published on this subject over the past fifty years.

Scientists, NGOs, farmers: opinions diverge

Organic professionals want to qualify this analysis and show that it is not complete. "Organic farming is above all better for the environment", explains Elizabeth Mercier, director of Agence Bio. This dimension is not at all retained by the group of researchers who led the study. Bernard Cressens, biologist at WWF, protests: "Chemical agriculture destroys the soil, contaminates the water, sends pollutants into the air. The fight against organic farming consists first of all in protecting our planet", estimates- he does.

Bio is debating

Scientists have chosen not to take into account the levels of pesticide residues in food. Organic food has none, or little, while it is present in conventional food. To justify themselves, scientists argue that they are in quantities below the maximum residue limits (MRLs). So not harmful to health. But, organic advocates point out, even at very low doses, chemical insecticides are not without danger. A Greenpeace activist, quite skeptical of these studies, launches: "we can see that it is pernicious and clearly oriented".

In France, the organic market continues to increase. It went from 1,6 billion to 2,5 billion euros in three years. According to Elisabeth Mercier, "nine out of ten people" have chosen organic food to protect the environment and practice responsible consumption. "They know that organic is on average 25% more expensive than industrial products. But they are ready to pay that price" she recalls.

the express source news
0 x
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by recyclinage » 31/07/09, 21:02

said guys a little media ad for this corrigendum is in order

aouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum
0 x
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by recyclinage » 05/08/09, 16:03

The publication of a study by the School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine in London, saying that the nutritional content of organic products would not exceed that of conventional products causes a stir in the United Kingdom, where organic fashion not only in France but also in France: it ignores the lack of pesticides that this diet guarantees.
Find the archives of the newspaper: all the articles published in Le Monde since 1987
Subscribe to Monde.fr: 6 € per month + 30 days offered
On the same subject
Bottles of Source des Oliviers water and certain lots of fruit juices from the Oasis, Grand Jury, Champion and Taillefine Fiz brands were withdrawn from the market due to "slight pollution", we learned on Friday October 17th. with the ministries of health and the economy.
Zoom Les Parisiennes, first consumers

The Soil Association, which represents organic producers in the United Kingdom, protests against this study based on the analysis of data published for fifty years on the subject, and commissioned by the Food Standard Agency (FSA), the government agency of food standards: "It does not take into account the impact of pesticides and herbicides on the environment in general and the pollution of rivers, as well as on animal welfare!", she laments.

She accuses the FSA of having published this work in the highly respected American Journal of Clinical Nutrition to bypass another European study on the subject, to be made public at the end of the year. According to the preliminary findings of the European rapporteur, Carlo Leifert, professor of ecological agriculture at the University of Newcastle, bio contains more antioxidants useful in the fight against cancer and cardiovascular diseases.

Moreover, in the eyes of critics, the Food Standard Agency, founded after the mad cow crisis of 1999-2000, defends the interests of traditional farmers' organizations and large producers, rather than those of organic artisans. The FSA has thus received the support of Justin King, managing director of the British distribution giant Sainsbury for whom "the organic industry has not answered the questions that consumers are asking".

The controversy is due to the natural vogue in the UK, which generates two billion pounds sterling (2,35 billion euros) in sales and a turnover that has doubled in the past five years. Chains, specialty shops and weekly markets are popping up in every town. Supermarkets have their "organic foods" area.

Although in France only 8% of the population consume at least one organic product per day, the study also raised criticisms. "This is the umpteenth (study) that comes to this conclusion, because it is limited to the analysis of nutrients!", Sighs Claude Aubert, agricultural engineer and consultant in organic farming, author of numerous books, notably Une other plate.

Already in 2003, the French Food Safety Agency (Afssa) found "few significant differences (...) between the chemical composition of raw materials" from organic farming and conventional farming. She observed, in potatoes, "a weak positive effect on the content of vitamin C", and in organic vegetables, "a weak positive tendency for iron and magnesium", as well as "a higher content". polyphenols. But these "small differences (...) do not appear significant in terms of nutritional intake", she concluded.

Mr. Aubert believes that "organic products contain much more omega 3 fatty acids, because organic cows eat more grass and less grain than conventional cows. In addition, he adds, they contain more polyphenols, those substances which have no nutritional value but which protect us from cardiovascular diseases and certain cancers ".

But above all, he insists, "organic products do not contain pesticides!", The production rules for these crops prohibit the use of phytosanitary products from synthetic chemistry. The few residues found here and there are in very small quantities. This was a significant finding when Inserm established a link between exposure to pesticides and Parkinson's disease or lymphoma.

Do consumers have an interest in paying more for organic products? "For processed products, this is not justified, but for raw products, it is strongly recommended," says Laurent Chevallier, nutritionist at the University Hospital of Montpellier and author of many books including The 100 Best Foods for Your Health and planet. He too is awaiting a study of the effects of chemistry on health.
Rafaële Rivais and Marc Roche (London, Correspondent)

the world news source
0 x
parfaitelumiere
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by parfaitelumiere » 05/08/09, 16:09

they just watched the purely nutritional thing.
I think in this case that a good ration of vegetable and animal proteins, cleverly dosed, and a juvamine tablet would be ideal for them.
What surprised me is what a kilo of meat costs compared to a kilo of soy, so I tend to put myself in soy.
When I really want to eat useful, I would go to Caledonia to eat fruits and roots (by cutting the feet, it takes again) and I would hunt deer (introduced there, it makes havoc, on an island or the largest mammal is a bat at the origin)
0 x
Sap can!