Purchasing wholesale packaging! Beware !!

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Purchasing wholesale packaging! Beware !!

by Christophe » 20/05/10, 14:31

I noticed it "by chance" a few weeks ago, France2 has just confirmed my doubt to the 13pm newscast: It is possible (frequent?) that large food packaging is billed more expensive (compared to kg or L, of course ...) than smaller ones. And this on the same product of course!

A completely unacceptable fact (and by the same anti-econological), not to say lying for the customer (of the ecopack, familly pack type ...), therefore bordering on scam!

What do UFC and INC do?

Whose fault is it? I would say the supermarkets more than the manufacturers because the smaller packaging necessarily costs more to manufacture!

This concerns France, because a priori in Belgium, from what I have seen, it is "logical".

Edit: multiple practical and concrete examples follow in this forum, put yours!
Last edited by Christophe the 26 / 05 / 11, 10: 51, 1 edited once.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 20/05/10, 14:48

When I started to run on oil ... I called an edible oil refinery to ask for prices for 5 tonnes (I don't start halfway) it was cheaper by pallets in bottles of one liter per cubis of 1000 ... and cubis of 1000 cheaper than bulk ... According to the commercial at the time (2005) it was just a question of provenance ... : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/05/10, 14:54

Your case is interesting but I rather think that it is a reason for delivery, volume processed (how many L sold in bottle / bulk?) ... and ease (do not want to get bored)!

If it had been possible to get the oil directly from the factory, with your own cubis, I think it would have been advantageous ...

This case therefore has little to do with the 750grs cereal package which costs more per kg than that of 375grs ... of a strictly identical product!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/05/10, 16:54

Christophe, what you point out is just "marketing". As many consumers are not vigilant, but so convinced that it is less expensive, manufacturers and / or distributors "screw up" them. Quite simply.

A classic: on the same shelf, a "set of two" (which everyone assumes cheaper) is more than twice as expensive as a single bottle of the same product. I have observed this a number of times.

It's on purpose !

On the other hand, what Macro quotes can (I mean "can") possibly get along. A "prototype" is more expensive than a large series. In a given sector, a particular packaging (even "bigger", therefore a priori more "profitable") is out of the ordinary, and costs more ... For example, in a product, there is depreciation of the place of storage and fixed costs. So an oil "barrel" which is sold only once every two weeks will cost more than a pallet of bottles of which we sell 15 pallets per day (the price of the bottles is peanuts in the price formation) .
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 20/05/10, 17:34

Completely of Did67's opinion
It is a common reflex and many are lazy to calculate or check on the labels of shelves because in large areas it is indicated the price per kg / l
I have often noticed this.
There is another interesting case, often packaged fruits / vegetables cost less than those in bulk. (same origin)
Yet there was one more operation and packaging. I think they can be found there because the customer damages less and if there is a fruit / vegetable HS it is less visible and they thus manage to sell it sometimes.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 20/05/10, 17:36

I have been had a few times and since then I am rather vigilant on the thing. It is true that, at random, I would say that once in two the lots are more expensive than the unique products.
Some brands "play the game" by displaying the price per kilo, in this case the comparison is easy, you just need to be vigilant.
In this case, the one who is tricked is just that he does not pay attention to what he is buying.
In others it is less obvious and it is necessary to calculate either the same price, or the units are not comparable.
I have seen in some supermarkets the "unit price" displayed, which is absolutely useless to compare two identical products in different packaging.
There I would say that there is a clear desire to cheat the client.

Anyway I remain convinced that it is the large distribution which has sealed the economy (and agriculture by the way) and their pseudo argument of defense of purchasing power I do not believe for a second.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 20/05/10, 18:20

Forhouse said:

Anyway I remain convinced that it is the large distribution which has sealed the economy (and agriculture in passing) and their pseudo argument of defense of purchasing power I do not believe it for a second.

and I do not share his opinion

Before, say, 1960, grocers, butchers and other fruit and vegetable vendors made a good living, and so did their suppliers. And there appeared the supermarkets that pay people to observe the prices of others. I have no figures to report at this time, but I am sure that the proportion of income spent on food and clothing is much lower now than before. On the other hand, other budgets have exploded, because we have created new needs: the consumption of lemonades and prepared mayonnaise has exploded, a household with 2 children has a technology-communications budget which quickly reaches 1000 to 1500 euros per month, energy has become more expensive, cars and buildings more sophisticated.

Prices must be compared with a relatively standard average salary, for example that of a mason or a teacher whose productivity has changed little.

Margins on the other hand have shrunk like a skin of sorrow: before 1980, the Hi Fi was sold at retail at a coefficient of 1,55 to 1,65 including VAT. Now, with the call price policy (DVD player at 29 euros incl. VAT), I think we are far from the mark and on much cheaper devices.
On the other hand, an area where we are really getting ripped off as in the corner of a wood, it is in the DIY for the "essential" except low price: when we know the wholesale prices, it is screaming. to laugh. But I don't think it's the retailer who gets the sugar: he has to buy through a chain that pays very well.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 21/05/10, 11:40

Lived every week in the corner hypermarket:

Refills for liquid soap more expensive than the plastic bottle 2 times larger
Corn boxes in a set of 3 more expensive than the unit

etc., etc...

fortunately, we do our shopping together, and when we see a lot we go to the other end of the shelf and its shouts the prices per kg (or liter)

Regarding household appliances, in IT anyway the applied coef rarely exceeds 1.2 (except for cable-like supplies or the coef can be up to 5 - not 1.5, but 5.0!)
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 21/05/10, 11:56

Christophe wrote:Your case is interesting but I rather think that it is a reason for delivery, volume processed (how many L sold in bottle / bulk?) ... and ease (do not want to get bored)!

If it had been possible to get the oil directly from the factory, with your own cubis, I think it would have been advantageous ...

This case therefore has little to do with the 750grs cereal package which costs more per kg than that of 375grs ... of a strictly identical product!

In this specific case ... The oil in 1 liter bottles came from the countries of the east and was relabelled in France if I wanted big packaging it was French oil the product was not in the base the same ..
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 21/05/10, 15:09

Superform wrote:except for cable or coef supplies can be up to 5 - not 1.5, but 5.0!

Yeah on the cables there is abuse.
Lived recently:
I needed a 10m HDMI cable, I knew that from memory we found some at Darty's and consort at about 150 € (which is frankly excessive for a piece of 10m shielded cable)
So I go to a distributor of this kind and I find one at 130 € (852F the cable it hurts the ass but hey, I needed one and it was 20 € less than all I had could see ... in some places I saw 450 € : Shock: )
As I also had DIY shopping I took the opportunity to go to the local castoleroybrico and surprise ... I find the same HDMI cable of 10m 50 € cheaper (yes 50 € difference in price, 330F, for the same product in a store 50m from the other)
neither one nor two, I reported and got reimbursed the one at 130 €
The one at 80 € works very well, and in full HD please

(And by searching on the net I realized that we found the same thing at only 40 € ...)
0 x