Greener hotels with Borloo!

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Greener hotels with Borloo!

by Christophe » 28/10/09, 12:30

Sorry for the title but it was too tempting !!

Borloo is now attacking hospitals ...

Ecology - Jean-Louis Borloo wants to put hospitals on a green diet

Jean-Louis Borloo, the Minister of Sustainable Development, signed yesterday with his health counterpart, Roselyne Bachelot, a commitment agreement aimed at rally health establishments to the ecological cause.

Water, electricity, waste, for French Minister of Sustainable Development Jean-Louis Borloo, French healthcare establishments represent a major environmental issue. He therefore signed yesterday with Roselyne Bachelot, the Minister of Health, a commitment agreement whose objective is to change the environmental habits of some 4.000 hospitals and clinics spread across the country. "These establishments, to which one in two French people go each year, have considerable training capacity in local public policies, in subcontractors and in society as a whole" underlines Jean-Louis Borloo.

With almost 60 million square meters of premises and 1 million professionals, their commitment to promoting sustainable development is indeed a key element in achieving the objectives of the Grenelle Environment Forum. One of the first objectives is to reduce water consumption. "However, it should not be done at the expense of hygiene, whether washing hands and surfaces or preventing legionellosis by regularly drawing water from taps that are little used", specify the ministry of ecology. But, he continues, "efforts focus mainly on changing the behavior of hospital staff and patients as well as the gradual introduction of less consumer equipment".

Source: http://www.francesoir.fr/societe/2009/1 ... sante.html

To say that a little common sense would be enough to equip hospitals more responsibly ... without making a big hay of all this ... and spoiling less is more for the most part ... including the staff!

But for having worked in summer job at the hosto and seeing there the nameless mess (sorry but my remark will shock some) I believe that: empowerment (from a consumption point of view) and the hospital public service do not mix well !!

The task will be tough!
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/10/09, 13:17

I believe that waste is not unique to the public service. I work in industrial maintenance, and I have worked in both the public and private sectors. It is amazing to see the waste and the "I don't care" of people at work.
It's not their money they're spending, it's not at home, so they don't care and don't pay attention ...
For the moment there is still a big problem of behavior of people in general (just see the bags of McMachin thrown on the roadsides)

While the government wants to embark on this path why not (announcement effect or real desire to change things?) But it will not be enough.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/10/09, 13:27

Yes good remark but I think that the mess of all kinds is still less worse in the private sector ... because of the obligation of profitability!

In the public funding is based on subsidies that MUST be spent on pain of seeing them reduced to the following fiscal year ...

In terms of flexibility and responsiveness too, the advantage is in the private sector ...

Now there is no debate, simply it will be super hard to change hospital habits!
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 28/10/09, 14:33

I am not in hospitality, but in my opinion, it seems difficult to me to save on water ....

For hygiene, we can not go back on it, it is incompressible, and I even think that many have a little neglect at this level, since nosocomial diseases are a scourge.

Ditto for disposable dressings and gauzes, syringes and hoses.
Cleaning clothes and sheets seems to be a necessity.

Now I don't see the economic advantage of washing my hands with an alcohol-based lotion, rather than washing with a tap.

The effort can only be made in terms of heating and insulation, but this is only possible during construction. Ditto for the legionella stagnating in the dead arms of the water network.
Running the taps regularly is a DIY solution, to avoid rebuilding the water network, or purging or disinfection devices, overpriced.

As for waste, I don't know. I rather hear about the bankruptcy of the hostos. They can't make ends meet, and it's the limited hiring of staff or the closing of beds that makes it possible to make ends meet…

In the big boxes, there is a waste of materials with a replacement of the computer hardware every 5 years, but in a hospital, the devices are more sophisticated, more sensitive, more often controlled, and very expensive because there is a maffia on medical equipment.
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 30/10/09, 13:51

the ecological waste of public buildings is essentially at the level ... of the building.

ecologically it is easy to see the responsible footprint of a hospital; you only have to see its rejections, linked to the use of its medicine.
I'm talking about the raw materials that come in but go out, we don't really know how or by what means, whether human or mechanical: chemical and nuclear elements. we are also talking about water discharge, which goes with ... its treatment, purification, spreading, discharge into the environment.
imagine the one who uses his compost from his dry toilet while he is in chemotherapy, it is the same.

moreover, socially a hospital is a reflection of a society. this is why it is also changing, notably with the new law of our [...] roselyne bachelot and its law entitled for the occasion: "Hospital, Patient, Health, and ... Territory"!
a whole program, I hope for you that you know it, "if you love your close relations" ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/10/09, 14:13

gegyx wrote:As for waste, I don't know.

Well I think I "know a little".

Let me explain my personal experience dating from summer 1995 in summer job! (and it hasn't changed in essence since ... my brother worked there 2 or 3 years ago)

I worked in the kitchen of a retirement home. It is a hospice but without serious or contagious "infections"!

Well EVERYTHING that went upstairs and came back was systematically thrown away (remember if it was compost but I don't even think it was not for pigs anyway!).

We can understand that a plate which was touched is thrown obviously (rare were the little old people who finished their plate, I would say 40 to 50% of return in mass) but ...

... when I say EVERYTHING it is EVERYTHING, even what was not touched at all nor opened included: yoghurt, custard ... op it went to the crusher !! I ate kg of yogurt and flan this month!

There is also a LOT of perishable surplus at the base (large quantity) ...

I can tell you that this summer my food shopping budget was very light! I especially remember having brought 4 or 5 kg of blueberry pies well put in paper towels in my backpack on my mob! : Mrgreen:

We had a crushed blueberry pie evening with my friends! Hihihi !!

Today, with the rise in food prices, maybe there are partnerships with restaurants in the heart or equivalent ... but in any case it was not in 1995! And the quantities wasted must remain the same ....
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 30/10/09, 14:48

Should not generalize. There you tell me about the canteen of a retirement home.

Currently in company canteens, staff are not allowed to collect meat for the dog.
If he does, it's on the sly, like you with blueberry pies.

Before, a long time ago, we saw personnel bringing large cans to their homes, for soup, or to feed their hen or pig farm. Ditto for dry bread.

I that I saw and do not understand, when the meal trays are emptied, cutlery, glass and plate are taken out of the tray, and everything else goes in the same drain hole, with paper towel and plastic cup sometimes. So it's doomed to destruction.

Safety standards at the con oblige…

Myself, I always do a little tour near the bucket, in my business.
I always get a little something, which I will use to make something else, for the company. But I do not have the right to withdraw from the bucket.
I am not talking to you about the computer equipment that emerges from a demolisher, directly. 35 € for a pc, against a destruction voucher which makes it possible to no longer pay tax on the equipment of the company which is no longer used. There is a monthly fee of around € XNUMX for this PC.
And this is how waste is organized, with “ecological” standards.
PCs still in good condition could be given to staff, but no. A few years ago it went to school associations that requested it, even the police ...
But someone needed to check the bike and empty the hard drive, and put a minimum back.
Since this obligation to go through a demolisher against a destruction certificate, it's over.
And this demolisher, he does what after, it goes to China or Africa to recover it and end up in an open canche or in the sea…
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/10/09, 14:57

gegyx wrote:Should not generalize. There you tell me about the canteen of a retirement home.

I do not generalize I share my experience !!
And it was not a canteen! It is a kitchen and it is exactly the same type of operation in all hospital kitchens (in Strasbourg)

gegyx wrote:If he does, it's on the sly, like you with blueberry pies.

It was not on the sly ...

gegyx wrote:Safety standards at the con oblige…

Well yeah ... we had "hard" cutlery on the other hand ... with a mini "assembly line on conveyor belt" for the dishwasher continuously it was fun :)

gegyx wrote:to no longer pay tax on the equipment of the company which is no longer used.

Here is ZE problem: a depreciated material is thrown, even destroyed so that it is tax exempt a 2nd time!

It is therefore the tax system that should be reformed to stop nonsense of this type! We normally throw away when it's screwed up or more useful, not when it is fiscally "zero"!

It's the same for expired food, even employees cannot recover it! Shit system that destroys wealth (but we bury ourselves because the mess is necessarily INCLUDED in the sale price of food NOT spoiled!)

But there are initiatives that are starting to take place!
0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 30/10/09, 15:20

why the public establishment throws the material or food out the window, without looking (apart from the staff obviously), without "putting it back to someone who might need it sniff boo"?

it's good because you have to buy a new one later!
but ... to a private company of course.
that's what it suits.

to continue buying new, with a price ... public of course! that is to say double: public quality! safety and health standards as a pretext.

whether for a desk a cabinet or food.

this is where the bottom hurts, these private companies are making big money via NEW purchases from the public, and ensure that it remains so. so when budgets are drawn up the public consults the private sector to find out how much they must ask to meet their needs.

the private lives thanks to the public, not to say loots.

when recovery companies come to haggle over the bench of economic and logistical services that may change, but it is not yet the case because the 2 parties are doing it ... hand in hand so to speak. there is a partner on each side, and everyone is happy.

all that to buy NEW.
the pretexts are the same for the digital economy which makes its butter on the last material which has just left and which gives back all the old one.

fortunately some know how to make sense of things.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 30/10/09, 18:25

Christopher said:

.when I say EVERYTHING it is EVERYTHING, even what was not touched at all nor opened included: yogurt, custard ... op it went to the crusher !! I ate kg of yogurt and custard this month!

Yes, : Evil: cold chain break!

One could perhaps imagine an "intermediate storage" of things to be thrown away during which, as if by chance, people outside the firm could come and steal. :D or storage in a protective bag to facilitate the work of thieves of garbage.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be