Are we all Resistance fighters? Consume sustainably ...

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Are we all Resistance fighters? Consume sustainably ...

by Christophe » 01/09/09, 15:33

A "strange" article found on the metro website

"Consuming differently is a form of resistance"

Michelle Dobré, professor of sociology at the University of Caen and author of Consuming otherwise, of the ecological reform of lifestyles, at the Harmattan.

More and more people are changing their behavior to respect the environment, is this enough to preserve the planet?

There are indeed signs that are symptoms of change. But these alternative attempts are widely magnified by the media, especially since the crisis and the Grenelle environment. In reality, it is very difficult to quantify these changes in behavior, we do not yet have significant statistics.

But even if the breakthrough of environmentalists in the European elections is not enough to speak of a "turning point", it is true that there is a growing awareness. A number of people are turning away from mass consumption, who have realized that change is needed.

Going green, does it cost more?

In the short term, it is obvious that organic products and sustainable materials are more expensive to buy.(Not necessarily true, the proof with insulation with cellulose wadding cheaper than "chemical" products!) But you have to make a balance between the price of the products and their quality. These products have a longer lifespan, they consume less energy… and in the end they are therefore less expensive. Ditto for food, eat free range chicken, it is more expensive but better for health and in the long term, it can be economical.

So it is enough to consume differently to preserve the planet?

No, because there will be no real change without the help of the state. (Huh? I don't see the connection ...)

But to worry about the environment is to start asking questions about the negative effects of modernity. Inventing alternative forms of consumption constitutes a new form of resistance. Politicians must listen to this demand and take responsibility for this change.

Source: http://www.metrofrance.com/planete/cons ... CMXtLMYyw/

What about the title? Comparing ourselves to "resistance fighters" is quite "borderline" with respect to "real resistance fighters" (to a military occupation) ... good end ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/09/09, 16:14

[Edit] It is not clear why this sociologist says that "consume differently" would be a "act of resistance"?

It's like saying that"going to bed too late" would be a "act of resistance against sleep", since sleep is necessary, it is a physiological necessity ...

"Consume differently" is certainly a "physiological" necessity for the safeguard of the planet. Loving nature, being interested in the environment is a natural desire. Rather, the opposite should be studied: why are certain segments of the population not motivated by a logic of ecological behavior? Why is the taste for nature not better cultivated, taught? Are the choices in our societies conditioned? (Did you know the answer? : Mrgreen: ) What societal alternatives do the populations expect? Would products free from toxic chemical agents be preferred to so-called "natural" products?

In short, we would be tempted to say: yellow card :D but alas this type of approach error is quite commonplace.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/09/09, 19:46

Exactly ... good Obamot remarks!

In addition this title has a connotation of "resistant to progress" that I do not like ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/09/09, 22:43

Well thank you, we had to re-edit the message at least twice ... so much this type of short-sighted vision looks more and more like a kind of fraud, don't you think? Although it came from the pen of an academic, the conclusion that emerges is in line with the cloth that is the Codex Alimentarius ..in short).

Could this be a speech that would handle the so-called "correct" politically so as not to displease either industry or the world of economics? Anyway, it's the kind of diatribe that would easily make me step up to the plate as the blindness that prevails in this unique way of thinking, leads people who are nevertheless deemed "brilliant" to miss the point.

It would be in good taste : Cheesy: to send an email with this link, to this dear sociologist to shake her up a bit and send her back to her studies:
Floating waste at sea

Greenpeace is a little more careful ... but it's still huge
http://oceans.greenpeace.fr/un-peu-plus-de-600-000-km2-de-dechets-flottants
0 x
Eisenheim
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Eisenheim » 03/09/09, 10:21

I still think that this can be interpreted in several ways, hence an article that lacks objectivity in its words ...

Indeed, the term "resistant" is not come true even if the connotation "resistant to progress" can be perceived as the fact that we must now take our time before creating new technologies "polluting or not" !!
In any case, asking questions about the environment is an obstacle to progress, it is on the contrary to think about the future differently with a form of intelligent progress and not only profitable !!

The remark about "change without state awareness", I would tend rather to point out that mutual awareness usually starts from a small group rather than an imposed but good decision. ..
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 03/09/09, 13:09

On the contrary, I find that the notion of resistance is quite good ...

Obviously, it does not require the same courage as resisting a military invader who threatens your freedom and your lives, but resisting the media, advertising and social pressure which absolutely wants to make us sheepish consumers still requires a certain effort, a certain questioning that many (75%?; 90%?) of French people are unable to do ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"