MP3 or CD? What do you prefer?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

MP3 or CD? What do you prefer?

by Gregconstruct » 03/12/08, 20:37

The question is in the title...

What do you prefer between CD and MP3 and why?
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 03/12/08, 20:42

Well, this is a funny question ...
Can we know what makes you ask us that? Are you doing a study?

For audio quality: CD without reservation.

For simplicity, "transportability", economy of physical support (+ green), I prefer mp3.

But, assuming I pay for a larger capacity portable player, as well as a larger hard drive, the ideal is the FLAC format: lossless compression. But it is heavier than the mp3.

Worse even using mp3, I prefer the ogg.

Here. But why are you asking us that?
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 03/12/08, 20:55

The program "Question à la Une" on RTBF (Belgian TV) broached the subject earlier.

They wondered who of the consumers or the majors were going to kill the CD and they broached the subject of MP3.
They obviously addressed the subject of piracy.

That is why I ask the question.

I hope I answered yours well : Mrgreen:
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 03/12/08, 22:08

: Arrow: I don't have enough time to take out my CDs, so I ripped everything in my PC and stored it on an external hard drive.
The format is OGG. : Mrgreen:

I have a USB key which reads this format and tomorrow I have to receive a brand new car radio for Madame's electric car which also reads OGG files with SD card, USB slot ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 04/12/08, 08:24

With the first MP3s, I don't know how many millions of batteries were left on the street. At the time I picked up 2 or 3 a day in town.
I rather hate these things.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 04/12/08, 09:17

Finally, with the appearance of huge memories in tiny formats, the CD becomes old-fashioned. Especially since, generally, you do a sorting: it's rare that you like all the pieces in a 40-45 'record.
The icing on the cake: everyone understands that a portable player must be rechargeable.
Last edited by elephant the 04 / 12 / 08, 09: 25, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 04/12/08, 09:23

phil53 wrote:With the first MP3s, I don't know how many millions of batteries were left on the street. At the time I picked up 2 or 3 a day in town.
I rather hate these things.

: Shock: I would not have thought about it. : Shock: Human stupidity... : Cry:

My usb stick has a built-in non-removable battery, it charges on a usb port, drawback its self-discharge ... :frown:

My son has a battery, but no battery, I gave him a glasses case to store it with headphones and a set of batteries ... :?
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 04/12/08, 09:39

Citro you're right now there are almost no more battery-powered MP3s.
That said, if the battery is not incorporated into the MP3, there are many people who do not know the difference between rechargeable or not
Either are lazy, or are in a hurry and suddenly the battery ends up in the trash almost as fast as a battery when they are not the ones paying (I think of super spoiled teens)
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 04/12/08, 18:09

Over-spoiled children have an I-pod, so they don't have batteries but a built-in battery.

Personally, one thing that bothers me with MP3 is piracy!
On the other hand, there is an ecological side since the support "no longer exists"!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/08, 18:24

Gregconstruct wrote:On the other hand, there is an ecological side since the support "no longer exists"!

Yes this is what we believe a priori but on closer inspection: less plastic waste but more electronic waste ... how long does an MP3 player last? 2 years for the 1st prize, 10 years for the ipods?

In terms of energy there too it is not to the advantage of mp3 because the mp3 player must be manufactured and these MP3 must be hosted either on your PC or on a remote server, in both cases it requires a PC. It was also necessary to convert them, transfer them ... hophophop full of kWh ... "hidden" ...
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"