Hard bread or stale: recipe in photos of Bedelman (beggar)

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Hard bread or stale: recipe in photos of Bedelman (beggar)

by Christophe » 26/10/11, 16:54

What to do with your hard bread (apart from the French toast known to all and which does not work very well with too hard bread)? A beggar or Bedelman! The original recipe is sweet but you can very well make a salty variant! Doable with any old bread (as long as it's not "bleached" by bakers !!) :(

So here is "my" Bedelman recipe (beggar in French) and illustrated with quantities please!

You need:

- a large bowl, 1 dish, a wooden spatula or large fork
- dry bread (you can mix different kinds)
- milk
- sugar
- fruits (avoid acidic or poorly cooked fruits like strawberries ...)
- optional: raisins, cinnamon, eggs (some prefer without) and other sweet condiments ...

Steps:

1) Store enough (very) dry bread to make a bowl, there I have bread that is 3 weeks old! As long as it is not moldy it is usable!

2) Soften and knead well with milk, cut the bread too dry into slices to make things easier, in this case, I put a little less than 2L (depends on the humidity of the bread). Add the milk as the bread softens

3) Once the molasses is fairly homogeneous: add sugar (the dose depends on your tastes), raisins, cinnamon ... or any other sweet condiment that you like (coconut, almonds, alcohol. ..). I put a little honey this time and 3 eggs.

Let the molasses sit for about 20 minutes (so that the flavors mix well). You can prepare the fruit during this period.

I made 2 dishes with 2 fruits:
- sweet apples and cinnamon
- canned pears in wine

The trick is to add the fruit only to the dish with a common base: like this you can make several bedelman for the same basic preparation (since the longest is to knead the hard bread).

You can sprinkle the dish with a little sugar and cinnamon to make it a little crunchier.

4) Put in the oven which will have been preheated (between 180 and 200 ° C):

Cook until you get a fairly compact dough.

5) Result after one hour of cooking (less if only 1 dish obviously):

On the left the apples, on the right the pears.

6) And after 4 days, here is what remains:

It keeps a good week in the fridge (see more it has never held so well with me!)

Eat both hot and cold ...

Personally I think it's like a quiche: better cold the next day.

Here you know all the secrets of a successful Bedelman by Masterchef Christophe : Mrgreen:

One last thing: it is possible, I have already tested, to replace all the sweet ingredients with salty ingredients (bacon, ham, spices, zucchini, tomatoes ...) and we get ... a salty Bedelman that looks like a savory cake in terms of taste!

At your stove!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/10/11, 10:06

So no one is hungry? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 28/10/11, 14:45

Christophe wrote:So no one is hungry? : Mrgreen:

As soon as I started reading this topic, it was so appetizing that I couldn't help licking my computer screen! slurp.

I promise, as soon as I have a moment I start. In addition, considering all the hard bread that I am given for my horses, my hens and my rabbits, I will be able to make beggars ...
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/10/11, 16:34

Lol poor screen :) It was good?

After the competition of the best manager of the year, that of the best beggar? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Finally by internet it will be difficult to decide ... tastefully speaking! : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/11/11, 16:39

Here is my 2nd batch!

Variation: apple, cinnamon, raisins, gingerbread (about 1/3 in the basic mixture, hence the slightly darker color) ...

Who's next?
0 x
Projéthée
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Projéthée » 17/11/11, 18:46

I did not know. I feel like I'm going to throw out a lot of bread. I already throw very little, but then there.

Thank you, Christopher.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/11/11, 14:29

Well glad you showed it to you.

You will see, it is in addition, a very good dessert provided you are not looking at the eh aspect (and then good should not be abused under penalty of some heaviness ... digestive) ... : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/03/12, 11:32

Then then? Still no econocuistot on econo? : Mrgreen:
0 x
maximilien912
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by maximilien912 » 05/07/12, 11:23

Excellent! I wouldn't have thought it was possible to prepare such good dishes with hard bread :)
0 x
White Bear
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by White Bear » 02/04/14, 16:08

I knew the French toast with egg milk and old bread, but it looks like I believe it is good !!!!
0 x
Protect nature