Eco-psychology: ego- or eco-centric consumer?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Eco-psychology: ego- or eco-centric consumer?

by Christophe » 18/08/11, 11:44

Short FrequenceTerre chronicle on sustainable consumption and consumer psychology.

To listen to here http://www.frequenceterre.com/chronique ... logie.html or read below.

I like the neologism "eco-centric consumption" as opposed to obviously "ego-centrist" ...

Organic eater or 4x4 driver? What consumer are you?

Because we are not all equal in the face of ecology: Because there are the convinced who act since yesterday, the alert ones who wait for tomorrow, and the I-don't care who live from day to day. Eco-psychology has dissected our behavior for us in order to adapt an ecological discourse to all types of consumers.

If you listen to the chronic sustainable consumption, you may be eco-centric. No need to warn you anymore, you are convinced of the ecological emergency and you are unbeatable on global warming. At worst, the eco-centrist conscientiously sorts his waste, eats organic, and banishes the car as much as possible. At best, he engages politically or in NGOs. He's the band's altruist ...

What are his deep motivations? It stands in solidarity with future generations, and intends to leave a planet Earth socially and ecologically viable for future generations. The eco-centric may be utopian, and think that by making efforts, others will do the same. In this case, he is a pioneer! The eco-centric is also a pessimist who believes that others do nothing! In this, he is already militant.
Where to find it? In an organic store or in his garden, at the local market and hiking in the mountains during his holidays. For this type of consumer, brands know that quality, high performance labels and 100% organic are needed. But this niche of consumers is not the one that brings the most ...

Next comes The Follower. This consumer watches the documentaries which show the melting of the ice floe and is indignant at the little polar bear. At the supermarket, he takes his reusable shopping bag and buys organic / ethical, if it doesn't cost him an arm. He sorts ... sometimes. But he uses his car at all costs. In short, it is green where everyone is ... or almost.
For him, no question of depriving yourself if the others do nothing! The follower does not expect to be a double loser. However, he is aware that global warming exists. Basically, he has good will ... And if sometimes he forgets to sort his garbage cans, he counts on the action of others. A way, too, to be triple winner. He shines in society with his ecological conviction and his "voluntary" discourse. and it is making the most of our consumer society, while hoping that others will work to reduce global warming.
He is convinced, that's already it! Now, it remains to make it act a little more: and there, the consumer society has understood that there was money to be made thanks to the followers. Just for these consumers in perpetual increases, brands no longer hesitate to multiply organic labels or ecological innovations. A more marketing that sells, even if it means abusing greenwashing!

Stay free electron He has a 4x4 in town, is addicted to the consumer society and carries all that fashion has more tendency. No matter where it comes from. In summary, he only seeks personal interest and has no ecological conscience!
He cannot imagine that others are really making an effort, and he is not the one who will start! Science is far too obscure a field for him. Whether he is defeatist or profiteer, he lives for himself, just for him, and that suits him very well. Without a bad conscience, really? In any case, brands rely on this type of consumer to buy everything that has more green gadgets. The brands intend to turn them into malleable “customers”, who surf both life and ecology. Make them "eco-centrist", who will not hesitate to pay a few euros more to do well with ecology!

So, what consumer are you?

Alice Muntz-Portal for writing

So where are you? : Cheesy:

These 3 classifications should have been subdivided into subclasses I think ... there it is too categorical.

For my part I am, obviously and I think like the majority of the econologists of these forums: between the follower and the eco-centrist ...
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 18/08/11, 12:57

There are also the bobo-ecolos who piss off everyone with the ecology, we have a Prius, a solar panel on the roof of the house, eat organic, travel most often by bike .... and make 3 trips per year in Thailand ...

Supporting scientific study:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8n2mo_bobo-ecologie-developpement-durable_fun

: Mrgreen:
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/08/11, 13:07

Well-known video, I knew which video it was without having to click : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Another thing I don't like is carbon offset, which has a psycho-perverse effect.

"I pollute but I pay so I can repollute and not change my behavior ..."

It completely takes away responsibility ...
Last edited by Christophe the 18 / 08 / 11, 13: 18, 1 edited once.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 18/08/11, 13:16

As you mentioned, there are a large number of possible subclasses, and human nature is not a paradox.

JM Jancovici had produced a very interesting article on the subject:

http://www.manicore.com/documentation/ecologiste.html

ecology rhymes with simplicity and sobriety.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/08/11, 13:19

It's a good article (as usual with Janco)!
0 x