Vacuum storage of garden vegetables

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Vacuum storage of garden vegetables

by clasou » 05/03/11, 12:58

Hello,

My question, often we tend to freeze or pasteurize the crops, but it would not be wiser to use a vacuum machine.
In addition the strawberries would be conservable because frozen : Evil:
cherry tomatoes too (I think of my son who adores and buys them at a golden price right now and with a taste :)

I also think of the economy linked to the use of the freezer given the space it takes.

I had also thought of making a kind of flour like for pumpkins or earths which once ground and desiccated save space.

your opinions are awaited.
a + claude
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 05/03/11, 14:41

The vacuum does not work miracles:
A table of durations:
http://www.machine-sous-vide.com/conser ... -vide.html

In fact the vacuum does not keep well under porous plastic and is limited by the vapor pressure of food water and this amounts to keeping it protected from oxidizing oxygen but not protected from microbes and mold, which means keeping the vacuum in the fridge or freezer.
Under CO2 or N2 is probably also effective.
Anaerobic microbes are happy in a vacuum !!
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 05/03/11, 16:01

Being a vacuum vacuum pro for 23 years, vegetables cannot be stored well in vacuum only if they are frozen, some do it with a mixture of Co2 gas but it alters the taste of food and extends by only 1 month the conversation.

Personally my tomatoes and peppers I put them in plastic containers and then in the freezer, they keep the good taste of fresh but can only be used for cooking because it makes them so much softer!

There is also dehydration which would be an option!
Last edited by Alain G the 07 / 03 / 11, 14: 04, 1 edited once.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 05/03/11, 19:20

Thanks for the answers, but it's not the one I expected : Cry:

When you talk about porous plastic, there wouldn't be another kind.
I am thinking, among other things, of coffee, is it vacuum-packed?

For dehydration, yes but the same does not work with everyone.
sterilization may be best for ready meals.

If you have other tips for vegetables.
a + claude
0 x
cortejuan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by cortejuan » 05/03/11, 21:40

Hi,

as said above, the partial vacuum does not stop the bacterial or cryptogamic development. CO2, on the one hand it is not necessary to have and on the other hand, associated with water it is an acid which will modify the properties of the preserved materials. There are neutral gases like nitrogen ...

The advantage of the freezer is that it slows microbial development considerably (without stopping it) and the latest generations of freezers are quite economical.
Among the methods, there is salt for green beans for example, desiccation (it's great for mushrooms, apple slices, and many other things). There is steam extraction (all forms of currants, blackberries and raspberries, cherries).
Pasteurization at a well-controlled temperature is also effective.

So there is a choice ...

cordially
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 07/03/11, 11:13

Hello,
After thinking about it, I think I'm going to turn to the dehydrator and why not put it in a vacuum.
a + claude
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 07/03/11, 11:55

Hello,
Dehydrating is good for certain grape, prune, mushroom, fig, etc. foods, and again with certain protocols, to be observed.
Often they have been disinfected before with SO2 !!
Otherwise problems.
I remember dehydrated or freeze-dried mushrooms, teeming with small maggots that we had cooked without paying attention and that we took for vermicelli once cooked, by eating them, until we realized that we were eating very small maggots cooked in mushrooms !!! !!!!
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 07/03/11, 12:32

I think above all, that they must go until the end of the process.
I messed up hazelnuts that I forgot in a corner, result on the heap of manure, on the other hand in the south, some make the tomatoes dry directly in the sun.
Others make it in the oven door ajar over low heat.
But I will take a machine so that I have managed nothing, I will avoid forgetting.
a + claude
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 07/03/11, 13:26

Hazelnuts rot or are eaten very quickly by worms if not treated before or after harvest.
Observed on my hazelnut trees, one month max kept, and I don't forget to eat them in less than a month !! .
I don't know how they do organic, but it is not at all easy to keep them, even in their hull !!!
I don't think hazelnuts are good dehydrated ???
Extra hard ???????
CO2 or N2 can be better ???
Or heat stroke at 50 ° C or 60 ° C ??
Worms, even microscopic, need oxygen to breathe and live only below 40 ° C?

I think that for this reason we ingest a lot of chemicals, even organic with 10% allowed sometimes !!

We end up irradiating food, spices and others without saying so and then perpetual conservation, but the antioxidants have become hyper-oxidants after irradiation !!
A real scam !!!

And you eat it without knowing it !!!
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 07/03/11, 15:11

good agree with you for the filth that we eat.
for hazelnuts I have refractory bricks which once very hot on the chimney.
Are placed on a lick fried plate with the shelled hazelnuts. The thin film rises a little as if I had roasted them.
on the other hand this year I picked them shelled, but I left them in the container, completely forgotten.
a + claude
0 x