Replace? To fix? Do it yourself?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Replace? To fix? Do it yourself?

by Obamot » 30/12/10, 18:41

Practical website:
http://www.commentreparer.com/

If you find others, or you want to share your findings: post them thanks!

In this period of obsolescence integrated with the products, one seeks to make the point and to improve its "mode of operation". From this comes a lot of questions: What decision to make? When? And why?

This subject is intended as a "decision aid", and the exchange of information and "tools" that go with it. Here we try to protect ourselves and anticipate if possible BEFORE the purchase. And build strategies to reduce costs for equipment renewal.

If you are looking to share: method / s and ideas / econos to better concoct your "solutions" it's here!

So we are often faced with cruel dilemmas when we are "on fire"? And we do not always have time to push the reflection far enough. Should it be: Replace? To fix? Do it yourself or give to do? When and why? And especially what sauce I risk being eaten and how much will it cost me?

Taking into account different criteria:
- its own income and status (the solutions can not be universal, everything depends on whether one earns a good living or if one is retired, head of SME, etc. the calculation is not the same) ...
- the price of the object / service;
- whether it is repairable / replaceable and at what price;
- does the chosen solution potentially suffer from "planned obsolescence" or see some pitfalls, here: ...> )
- is it acceptable for the purpose and what is the point of view "cost";
- any consumables and their cost (VS those of your new acquisition);
- the "technological harassment" component (ie the time you will spend to adapt to your "new solution")
- the cost of updates (ie if you must for example be forced to change operating system to run your new program, or even replace your computer);
- the duration of the guarantee (or even the possibility of extensions);
- any insurance;
- trips to get supplies, to move to the SAV, the post office, etc.
- its actual needs (frequency of use);
- administrative issues;

... or conversely also to find strategies:
- the safeguarding measures that will make it possible to extend equipment beyond what was planned to be achieved;
- to divert the use of an object for another function (often with a big benefit to the key)
- find the same used model, to use it as an "organ bank" ...

etc. (if you think of other criteria, let it know).

It seems to me that it would be very useful to find an "assistant" that allows you to enter all these parameters. A kind of decision support ...

Thanks to you if you know of a program that would allow to enter these parameters, or an Excel script? Even a woueb site that offers this type of assistance? Because today we must compete with trick not to consume in "polluter idiot" : Cheesy:

If you want to have some ideas about what to expect (by practical cases), see here: ...> what happens AFTER the purchase, with cases treated - which can also be your testimony - even purchases that did not go "well" => because not correctly anticipated due to various "traps" (sometimes c is that agreements between manufacturers mean that we simply have no other choice).

This thread is also linked in its "spirit" to those of
"Industrial Obsolescence" ...>
"Management & econology" ...>
Last edited by Obamot the 03 / 06 / 11, 13: 21, 12 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/12/10, 19:19

Good subject but that may duplicate the one on the obsolescence you just mentioned ... but especially with this one: https://www.econologie.com/forums/ifixit-tu- ... 10168.html

Unless we focus on a very practical case.

The problem is that we must have / give ourselves the means to repair.

Means = skills + tools + time + motivation

And as we are missing more and more time and the new one costs less and less expensive (therefore less and less working time) ... well the calculation is quickly done ...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 30/12/10, 19:23

Effectively.

Note, I do not think it's a toublon, since this thread focuses exclusively on the question of how to achieve and apprehend the said algorithm.

At most a "dashboard" of decision support. Excel table type.

I have some ideas on the question, but it would be nice if the strong in "programming / logic / math" manifest themselves, it would be really a good opportunity to give some ideas and recipes in his points of view.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/12/10, 19:41

Ben the formula is rather simple:

If cost (skills + tools + time)> cost (replacement) then trash ...

I am wrong?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 30/12/10, 20:11

Aaarf it's not wrong! It's not wrong but here you forget a parameter: travel expenses. But these fees can be variable if you program a trip to do many things the same time ... I develop : Arrow:

Le "more expensive than"yes, but there are the other variables, the fact is that it is a question of how to intervene in terms of the "budget".

So I would say: in the "investment plan", the spreadsheet should allow:
- how many years is it possible, for example, to extend the depreciation period (or not);
- or if on the contrary it is necessary to budget a new purchase without waiting.
- to put in place strategies, for example: "Find the same model of opportunity, to use it as an" organ bank "..." or calculate if some redundancy would cost no less than the rest;
- and to set priorities for all these strategies!

So we have to talk more about "Projected cost management", rather than waiting to be at the foot of the wall to be forced to change ... because there YOU MUST do it, you only have the choice of "available". With planning management around the budget, you define alternatives in advance and then you choose the most adapted according to your budget and your ethical practicesBeyond, you can clearly influence the system that imposed on you to better "crop econologic"

So the table seems useful because it allows to make "simulations": case "A" object depreciated to replace the DD.MM.YY VS replacement hypothesis "B" because of obsolescence VS emergency "C" if nothing is done or planned, how much does it cost to be at the foot of the wall? etc

The table also seems useful if only to forget anything and possibly draw lessons from past experiences, which can benefit other cases ....

More than a painting, it would require an "expert system" in the ideal. I do not know where I had read that everything that was sold below 3 € was losing money (ie administrative costs + packaging costs + sales charges and different quotas .... product ended up "costing more than it brought in"). There is therefore a LOWER THRESHOLD to be determined and not just a COST by addition of amounts, since they must take into account their variability, invariability, proportionality etc.

That was the idea that prevailed. But I'm racing, I'm racing ... : Cheesy: 8)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 30/12/10, 21:40

The equation of Christophe is correct: if we reason in monetary terms (I recognize that it is not easy to ignore this parameter!), it is often better to throw than to repair or do it yourself.
This reveals an initial fault of logic: this form of reasoning only duplicates the mode of operation of an economic system that is self-justifying permanently by secreting its own criteria.

In order to properly evaluate one's choices, one must take into account their real and global consequences and not lock oneself into a purely accounting approach.
However, the importance of the figures is such that we refuse to use a qualitative mode whose handling we have lost: this is where our humanity lies!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 30/12/10, 22:18

Having seen my mistake in proposing this, on this thread reserved for general considerations, If you want to propose concrete and useful cases, you have to go through:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/anti-consu ... 10310.html

Here, "the question is not what or how in particular cases, but rather how to calculate / evaluate" how much "? In general ..." in the words of obamot !!!!

So my mistake to propose:
To start concretely, to replace, to do it yourself, de the ink I use to fill my inkjet printers !!

Raz the bowl of expensive ink printers !!!
German site easy to understand !!!

https://www.econologie.com/forums/anti-consu ... 10310.html
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 31/12/10, 15:13

Okay! Here is a typical example that brings "consumables" into the dance! Very interesting case

But how would you translate this in terms of "calculation"?

When to change the printer?

How assess the coverage announced VS the actual consumption?

What alternative (s)? (Econologically speaking and how to calculate it).

Even if we can see what your strategy is.

So the idea of ​​a "decision support" spreadsheet is justified! Since this is a typical case hardly "cernable".
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 31/12/10, 15:40

When to change the printer?

How to evaluate the coverage announced VS the actual consumption?

What alternative (s)? (Econologically speaking and how to calculate it).

At any time, since the printer costs a refill (40 €) !!
It all depends on what we print !!
but it is better to recharge with a liter of ink at the price of a refill of 10 20mL!
But you must know the difficulties to overcome the protections and chips, and therefore know if the resetters for sale work, and cheap inks that do not clog, hence the other tangible and not general!
Otherwise ecologically, by not printing anything, apart from iDTGV tickets, we save a lot of trees on the planet and we avoid the dispersion of harmful inks in garbage!

So the idea of ​​a "decision support" spreadsheet is justified! Since this is a typical case hardly "cernable".

let me very puzzled on what to put in the "hardly" "understandable" on the spreadsheet, especially, ink, solvents, and dirty fingers, to unclog cartridges and printheads designed to close in a few days, as soon as the ink is not that of the manufacturer, and the ability to get out of these traps, such as the flow of an ink in a cartridge DIY!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/10, 15:42

Should copy your last 2 message here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/anti-consu ... 10310.html

I found a resolution for dedeleco for 2011: stop mixing topics : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"