Ifixit: can't you fix it? You don't own it!

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Ifixit: can't you fix it? You don't own it!

by Forhorse » 17/11/10, 20:25

(found on a newsgroup)
In English but full of common sense:
http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

Quite in the econological spirit. Too bad the engineers and manufacturers are doing everything to convince us otherwise (and they manage very well unfortunately)
With the most beautiful example: the automobile

It was my quarter of an hour Don Quixote
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 17/11/10, 21:22

Excellent initiative. I remember an old law in my corner, which required after-sales service and parts available for 10 years! (For purchases of a certain amount ...)
It seems to me that less and less companies do not respect this provision today.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 17/11/10, 21:49

I think, in fact, that when it comes to cars, we should obtain from the European Communities the manufacture of multiplexed car accessories which require recognition of the serial number.

So much so that some "control units" cannot be reused on another vehicle, even with the use of the brand's computer. A real shame.

For computer equipment, it's still a little different: I bought around 1986 a printer of 100.000 FB (= 2500 euros X 1,7 approximately). Technology has made it possible to manufacture more efficient ones for the price of a color cartridge or almost ...
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/11/10, 22:01

Good topic!

See also the topic on planned industrial obsolescence and the recent CNIID report:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/l-obsolesc ... t9854.html
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 17/11/10, 22:14

The spirits progress:

- it is exactly the battle of free software against "proprietary" software, in the sense of depriving of liberty, as Richard Stallman calls it.

- here it is the battle against the private objects.

It should be noted that it was the object of patents to make public the details of design and manufacture of objects: this is no longer their main effect today.

- and it is also the battle that arrives for a free currency, not depriving of freedom. It is a very recent awareness, the details are there: Dialogues with Richard Stallman
0 x
See you soon !
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 18/11/10, 00:46

free software is good but it does not solve the problem

the law should be simple: the manufacturer must provide the complete user manual ... alas for a computer the user manual is windows, without windows unusable computer, and with windows it is usable a limited number of years ... of course we can console ourselves that some volunteers did linux, so the linuxists started again from scratch what the manufacturer should clearly provide

the problem is the right of property, when you buy a car you should have the possibility of knowing what it takes to maintain it, not necessarily for free but at a reasonable price, not reserved for a few proffesionel who take advantage of this privilege to swindle you

it will be necessary to invent an econological quality label demanding what is needed from the manufacturer for maintenance and sustainable repair

and make it known that all the manufacturers who do not adhere to this label are branquignole which promise us some energy savings and will make us pay much more for too expensive repair

I am not necessarily to oblige each manufacturer to diffuse immediately all its manufacturing secret to help the competition ... it could be rules in the genre in the first year it must sell all the parts at a reasonable price, and after a certain number of years it distributes all the doc to facilitate DIY, while in any case there is no more secret for the competitors

the security of documentation should be managed by an organization worthy of confidence: it would allow new and small manufacturers to be taken more seriously: in the genre, me and my small business of 4 person sells beautiful boilers with high performance wafers , the customer is afraid that in 5 years I will no longer exist, so I give him the complete file so that he can be sure to have it repaired by any competent repairer, but it is not enough, the customer does is not necessarily able to judge if the file is serious or if it is windy: much better if the file is deposited with a competent official body, which proves that the material is serious is well documented for its sustainable maintenance: this body official could also keep this documentation confidential as long as the manufacturer provides maintenance at a reasonable price, and only distribute when the manufacturer no longer provides

it would be a huge quality for used equipment: even if the seller has no paper, if this equipment has the label, the official body can provide the complete documentation! finished the bazaar we put in the garbage for lack of documentation

when I will be president the material which has this label will be exempt from vat and that which does not have it will be taxed heavily!
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 18/11/10, 04:03

Given the price of labor, the repairable material will actually be multiplied by at least 10 !!
The manual and the details require a huge doc for any microprocessor or computer !!
At least a mini info on the internet would be nice but answering is very expensive !!!
The professionals do not seem to have much more information apart from changing blocks with their eyes closed, sometimes mistaking a block !!
Aussi for me finished a lot of devices like heat pump, Okofen boiler and other complexes !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/11/10, 09:47

I obviously defend the idea of ​​repairing or reusing instead of recycling.

But there are all the same areas where it is not very interesting (assuming that this is possible possible which is not already the case) to repair because technology evolves and wears out too quickly: mobile telephony, IT ...

Example: who can still claim to use a Y2000K GSM even repaired? Even the cars of the year 2000 are rare ... so the GSM ...

Personally my 1st date at the end of 2003, the charger burnt out at the end of 2007, impossible to find a new one (the NECs are no longer used by the operator) since I tinkered with a cable with a USB adapter but I still have to change it. I reuse it as a backup, it still works even if the autonomy has been roughly divided by 2.

In 2007 I bought a Nokia ultra basic, in 2010 it messed up on the indication of battery charge, freeze from time to time and the screen is illegible in direct sunlight because too scratched. It is also stored for rescue.

So I just changed it (yay, I have my 1st mobile phone with camera !!).

What I mean is that I am not a big user of mobile telephony nor a geek (on the contrary) but I nevertheless had to "consume" 2 phones in 7 years because they could not be repaired... ok it's better than the average renewal (18 months it seems to me) but it's still frustrating econologically but who will pay 30 € to repair a mobile phone which cost 30 3 years ago?

Then see also this testimony of "Household appliances, the big bluff": even the "serious" pros (fnac in this case) no longer repair ... and are satisfied with standard manufacturer exchanges ...

https://www.econologie.com/forums/le-grand-b ... t9342.html

So if the engineers of the manufacturers have, in their specifications, clear instructions in order to decrease the lifespan and prevent the repairability of their products ... well we will be forced to consume more and more ... there is obvious collusion.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 18/11/10, 13:02

telephones would not be so difficult to repair as that if we had the necessary documentation ... I had come across the net on information on the recovery of lcd displays from old nokia ... connected by I2C bus easy to use by any microcontroller!

It allowed me to repair a broken Nokia display by putting the display of a broken Nokia Nokia, not even exactly the same model

this is also where effective documentation would be useful

it is certain that the manufacturers will not put useful doc on the internet until they are forced!

it is important that a powerful association says loudly that pushing for the waste of material by lack of documentation is ecologically harmful

the comparison is to do with some small progress in energy consumption ... in my opinion benefit = loss

only solution to have information on the internet, buy very current model, after a few years it appears passionate website that pool their information ... the also the fashion of the big manufacturer to change the model 3 times per year is harmful: for me the long period of availability of a model is an ecological criterion

as a business manager I will decide to equip all the offices with the same model of computer as much as possible, as we are sure to be able to troubleshoot them as much as possible for a very long time

a manufacturer who often changes models is anti ecological!

another problem of the change of model: learn the new user manual, with each change of phone gsm ca disgusts me, user manual more and more zero, not logical, badly fucked up ... made express to make the bottom of painful range to use and push to buy a high-end
0 x
bernardd
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bernardd » 18/11/10, 13:11

The phones will open with the arrival of free software on mobile phones, as on PCs: all hardware interfaces must then open.
0 x
See you soon !

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"