Warming: "towards the abyss" (UN)

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 03/09/09, 11:07

Well here they are finally starting to worry a little bit ...

the figaro wrote:
AFP
03 / 09 / 2009 | Updated: 10: 30 | Comments 4 | Add to my selection
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon expressed alarm in Geneva at the acceleration of global warming, warning that the world "is heading towards the abyss". "We have our foot stuck on the accelerator and we are heading towards the abyss," said Mr. Ban before the third UN Climate Conference, meeting in Geneva since the beginning of the week.

The United Nations secretary-general, returning from the Arctic where he saw the ravages of climate change, warned that "what is happening now" must happen much later, according to scientists' predictions. "Scientists have been accused for years of being alarmists. But the real alarmists are those who say that climate action cannot be taken because it will slow economic growth," Ban said.

"They are wrong. Climate change could trigger a massive disaster," he warned, worrying for the tens of millions of people living in coastal areas threatened all over the world by the rise in sea levels caused by melting arctic ice. “What will they do when storms push the sea inland? Where are they going to go?” He said.

Putting his hopes in a high-level international meeting organized by the UN in New York on September 22, Mr Ban regretted the slow and limited negotiations for the Copenhagen Summit in December.

source: http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2009/ ... me-onu.php
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 03/09/09, 12:13

The current "land" is just a large Easter Island.
For me, it's too late, and I do not throw stone at anyone.
It's serious ? if the homo erectus disappears?
Life on earth is not about to disappear.
It seems to me that we do not have a monopoly on life :D
Perhaps we must accept the consequences of our actions, our defects.
Maybe the future will be different ...
More the present is not good for me (I mean that the majority of people who have a clean water tap at home, are not or will not be happy in the future or current years)
If I were "gods", I would not favor the development of a "civilization" which has lost all "good sense"
So... :D on one side, I'm happy to say my opignons on the net, but before we told our neighbor without internet ... : Cheesy: :?
If I were certain of the existence of a creator god, I would say that he planted himself (it's not the first time : Cheesy: he suppressed the dinosores : Cheesy: ). I will say that he created an animal with too much power and not enough intelligence.
Animal? yes, because the human being needs to "kiss often" like a good number of animals.
Difficult to be understood : Cheesy: but I am believed and true :D
Ps, I am not of any religion.
Oops, I dared to say it : Shock:
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 03/09/09, 18:03

Yes, the human species is a harmful species in full proliferation, its near disappearance will also cause that of the animal species which it has created.

We can believe in God and without believing in religions.

NB: what is an "onion"? A piece of bicycle made from GMO vegetables? :D
0 x