Climate: Wine professionals sound the alarm

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Climate: Wine professionals sound the alarm

by elephant » 11/08/09, 16:29

Climate: wine professionals sound the alarm

"Climate change is making the vines more and more vulnerable". Worried about the consequences of global warming, more than 50 wine growers, great chefs, sommeliers, oenologists and Greenpeace judge French wines "in danger" and call on the French government to act to reach an agreement at the United Nations conference in Copenhagen next December.

"Together, we call on the President of the Republic and the Minister of the Environment of the first wine-growing country in the world to set an example within the framework of the Copenhagen negotiations", declare the signatories of this appeal published in "Le Monde" dated Wednesday.

According to them, the Copenhagen conference, "which will seal the future of humanity", must lead to "an ambitious agreement committing industrialized countries to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by at least 40% by now to 2020 and establishing strong mechanisms to assist developing countries ".

Because, according to these professionals and defenders of the environment, "climate change is making the vines more and more vulnerable". "If nothing is done to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, the vines will move 1.000km beyond their traditional limit by the end of the century: viticulture will face a challenge. radical ", they estimate, judging that" the soils will not survive ".

To stop "this destructive spiral" which sees French wines characterized by "more marked alcohol contents, too sunny aromatic ranges and denser textures", the signatories of the call believe that they must also act "now ", whereas France is today the first producer of wine in the world, ahead of Italy and Spain, its vineyards covering approximately 1,6% of the territory.

“Acting in our vines and our cellars means first of all orienting our wine-growing practices towards respecting fauna, macro or microscopic, and aerial and underground flora,” they explain. "Widespread, these practices will contribute to the preservation of biodiversity and to the strengthening of our terroirs", underline these professionals, who declare themselves "mobilized". AP

Make no mistake: they panic because Belgian wine will dethrone French productions! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/08/09, 22:03

Are you talking about the Torgny vineyards? : Mrgreen:
Hey there is still work! Will we talk about it in 2 or 300 years?

I bury myself I prefer beer ... : Cheesy:
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 14/08/09, 15:00

It's not just Torgny:

in Trazegnies (near Charleroi) amateurs made fruitful attempts at cultivation on a slag heap (microclimate + xerophilic soil) and I was told that there were two "castles" in Campine.

(Campine, thanks to its sandy soil is the hottest place in Belgium, despite its location in the North)

and the last straw: in Mont sur Marchienne, south of Charleroi, one of my clients removed two tiles from his terrace, planted 2 vines there, let them go up to the balcony and produced 50 bottles year!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/08/09, 15:01

Ah not bad charcoal wine : Cheesy:

Can it be organic do you think? : Mrgreen:
0 x