Corals do not like sunscreen!

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
camille42
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Corals do not like sunscreen!

by camille42 » 31/07/09, 09:31

"Undoubtedly, corals are being attacked from all sides: global warming, marine pollution, ocean acidification, human activities ... Even sunscreen is on!

And one more worry for coral reefs, one! As they explain in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives, researchers have confirmed that sunscreen creams used by bathers affect corals. How? These products contain chemicals that filter the so-called ultraviolet so-called in the media as summer vacation approaches.

Certainly, creams protect the fragile skin of bathers, but they can also activate viruses capable of destroying microalgae that live in symbiosis with corals. And if these precious organisms disappear, the corals whiten. A process that can quickly lead to death ... This phenomenon caused by sunscreens has already been mentioned in the past on other forms of aquatic life, especially in Yucatan where the famous cenotes - caves filled with fresh water - attract divers and snorklers from around the world.

Here, biologists wanted to demonstrate the link with coral mortality. They collected coral samples from different regions (Mexico in the Caribbean Sea, Thailand in the Indian Ocean, Egypt in the Red Sea, Indonesia in the Pacific) and placed them in a volume of seawater containing 10 microliters of sunscreen per liter of water. The bleaching appeared in four days following the activation of latent viruses present on the corals!

Looking further into the problem, the Italian Roberto Danovaro, lead author of the study, and his team discovered three chemicals intended to filter UV in these cosmetic products (cinnamate, benzophenone, derivative of camphor) as well as a preservative ( butyl paraben) involved in the release of deadly viruses. Like what, even on an individual scale, our actions can have an influence on the marine environment. How about swapping sunscreen for a good T-shirt when visiting the coral gardens? "

In Mexico, in a natural environment where diving and swimming with dolphins are at the rendezvous, they quarantine sun creams and exchanges against an organic cream that does not have any filters harmful to the aquatic environment.
I thought it was great!
To know that it is not essential to put some cream when you go to the water because 1 / 4 goes into the water, protect yourself once you are on the beach and prefer the t-shirt and the parasol rather that these creams.
Some studies show that UV filters contained in creams are responsible for hormonal modification and risk of malformation in the fetus, more traces of these filters were found in the milk of a mother who had put cream during her pregnancy.

What is hormonal disorder or melanoma chosen?
very difficult choice (irony)
What do you think?
0 x
éconologue I try to max ... she cries, she cries ... the planet!
camille42
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by camille42 » 31/07/09, 11:26

ohoh les loulous sunscreen kills corals and says coral disappearance says dead and therefore disappearing several aquatic animal species!

pshit pschit or not pschit pschit?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/07/09, 13:59

I do not like the beach! (bis)

"Twin" subject here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/protection ... t8103.html

Which of the 2's are kept?
0 x
camille42
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by camille42 » 31/07/09, 14:03

ben the one who was posted first ... yes it's mine! lol
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/07/09, 14:22

It's true it's the rule!

Act!
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 01/08/09, 18:52

The main thing is to pass the info, no objection from me :P

What is curious is that so few people have relayed this phenomenon, suddenly we come to say that we serve as a guinea pig for "pharmaceutical" companies and that decidedly, NOTHING stops them, 1 ° we make you believe that the solar benches are, OK
2 ° we provide you sunscreens that are dangerous and for you and for the environment ... : Shock: 3 °: it's the ponpon we no longer talk about the terrifying change in the ozone layer or we are given truncated information, we must conclude that "the truth is elsewhere"

Strange all that very strange even!

Meow
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
futuranat
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by futuranat » 04/08/09, 10:07

yes, I think a lot of people have had to watch special send and see this report on sunscreens ... they showed that there were creams that were natural, do you know where to get them ??
0 x