The methane bomb is primed

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
yahi
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

The methane bomb is primed

by yahi » 28/09/08, 00:15

A bad news!

Climate: the methane time bomb is triggered 25 September 2008

Scientists have found evidence that the Arctic seabeds are beginning to release millions of tonnes of methane, a greenhouse gas 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide, into the atmosphere. The researchers were able to observe the bubbling caused by the gas on the surface of the sea.

By Steve Connor, The Independent, 23 September 2008

The Independent has taken note of some of the early results, which suggest that methane gas in huge arctic deposits is escaping to the surface due to warming and disappearing ice.

The behavior of these underground methane reserves is of major importance because scientists believe that their sudden release into the atmosphere has caused a rapid increase in Earth's temperature in the past, causing climate disruption and even a massive extinction of species. . Scientists aboard a scientific boat that has sailed all over Russia's northern coast have found intense concentrations of methane - sometimes up to 100 times usual levels - over several areas, covering thousands of square kilometers on the Siberian continental shelf.

In recent days, researchers have observed areas where the sea was bubbling with gas bubbles rising from "methane chimneys" emerging in the seabed. They believe that the layer of underwater permafrost that acts as a "lid", preventing gas from being released, has melted in places and allows methane to escape from the deposits that formed before the last ice age .

Researchers caution that this phenomenon may be related to the rapid warming experienced by the region in recent years.

Methane is a gas whose greenhouse effect is about 20 times more powerful than carbon dioxide and many scientists fear that its release could accelerate global warming through a huge feedback process in which the methane released into the atmosphere would cause higher temperatures, which would worsen permafrost melt and release more gas.

It is estimated that the amount of methane trapped under the Arctic is greater than the total amount of carbon contained in global coal reserves. It is therefore of utmost importance that these reservoirs remain stable as this region heats up at a faster rate than other parts of the earth.

Orjan Gustafsson, one of the leaders of the expedition, describes the extent of methane emissions observed in an enamel sent from the Russian scientific ship Smirnitskyi Jacob.

"We worked feverishly to complete the sampling program yesterday and last night," Dr. Gustafsson writes. "A large area of ​​intense methane release has been discovered. On the previous sites we observed high concentrations of dissolved methane. Yesterday, for the first time, we observed an area where the release is so intense that methane has not had time to dissolve in seawater, but arrives in the form of methane bubbles on the surface. These "methane chimneys" were observed on echosounder and with seismic [instruments]. "

In some places, methane concentrations reached 100 times usual levels. These anomalies were found in the eastern Siberian Sea and the Laptev Sea. They cover tens of thousands of square kilometers, and add up to millions of tonnes of methane, Dr. Gustafsson said. "This could be of the same order of magnitude as is currently estimated for all oceans. He says. "Nobody knows how many other areas exist on the great continental shelf of eastern Siberia.

"The usual assumption was that the permafrost" lid "on the submarine sediments of the Siberian continental shelf could retain these enormous deposits of methane. The increase in methane release observations in this inaccessible region may suggest that the permafrost, the cover, is beginning to be punctured and thus is leaking methane ... Permafrost now has small holes. We found high levels of methane above the surface of the water and more in the water just below. It is obvious that the source comes from the seabed. "

Preliminary results from the Siberian Plateau study 2008, being prepared for publication by the American Geophysical Union, are supervised by Igor Semiletov of the Far East Department of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Since 1994, he has led about 10 expeditions in the Laptev Sea. During the 1990 years, it had not detected high levels of methane, but since 2003, it has reported an increase in the number of "hot spots" of methane, which are now confirmed by the more sensitive instruments that are present aboard the Jacob Smirnitskyi.

Dr. Semiletov suggests several reasons why Arctic methane now escapes, including the increase in the volume of the relatively warmer waters that are discharged from Siberian rivers due to the melting of terrestrial permafrost.

The Arctic region as a whole experienced a rise in average temperatures of 4 degrees Centigrade over the last few decades, with a dramatic decline in the area covered by pack ice during the summer. Many scientists fear that the disappearance of pack ice can not accelerate the global warming trend because the ocean absorbs more heat from the sun than does the reflective surface of the ice.

On the Web :

La personal pageby Orjan Gustafsson on the website of Stockholm University

Le Devoir, Canada: The methane bomb is primed
Joined yesterday at his offices at the Institute of Marine Sciences of Rimouski, Professor Émilien Pelletier, a marine chemist and ecotoxicologist, sees this phenomenon as "the extension in the marine environment of what happens in the terrestrial permafrost". If Swedish scientists announce the start of a submarine permafrost thaw, he says, humanity should expect a massive release of greenhouse gases that could trigger the climate in a potentially irreversible change .

Methane hydrates, he says, are present in many large seas. Under the effect of very cold water and unimaginable pressures of great depths, the bottom, the methane sometimes solidifies in the form of huge crystals. Commercial companies even seek to exploit these fuels stored at great depth.

In the Arctic seas, another phenomenon seems to occur, he says, according to the findings reported by The Independent.

source:
click here

Start building your troglodyte dwellings!

yahi
0 x
When will we have the right to stop using oil?
Free object!
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 28/09/08, 07:18

:? Oops, not good ....
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 28/09/08, 09:52

Here, I have an older article, which does not yet talk about the methane threat ... very interesting too ...
So, are you planting banana trees in Belgium? not sure...
http://grit-transversales.org/article.p ... rticle=253
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 28/09/08, 11:20

"Methane, a greenhouse gas 20 times more powerful than carbon dioxide" Diantre! But the CO2 defends a lot anyway: a region like the Massif Central frees 6000 tons per year and per km².

Apart from the airline pilots, we rarely talk about a consequence of global warming: the increase in cloudiness. We will live more and more in the shade of clouds thicker and thicker until we find ourselves in darkness and a furnace temperature, as on Venus.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 28/09/08, 11:38

Leo Maximus wrote:"Methane, a greenhouse gas 20 times more powerful than carbon dioxide" Diantre! But the CO2 defends a lot anyway: a region like the Massif Central frees 6000 tons per year and per km².

Apart from the airline pilots, we rarely talk about a consequence of global warming: the increase in cloudiness. We will live more and more in the shade of clouds thicker and thicker until we find ourselves in darkness and a furnace temperature, as on Venus.

Hi Maximus,
Are you a pilot?
Pcq, a few months ago, I flew from Brussels to Gdansk, and I never saw the ground; clouds, and clouds all over the flight; I even say to myself, the sun happens to pass through such a cloud cover : Shock:
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 28/09/08, 18:10

lejustemilieu wrote:
Leo Maximus wrote:"Methane, a greenhouse gas 20 times more powerful than carbon dioxide" Diantre! But the CO2 defends a lot anyway: a region like the Massif Central frees 6000 tons per year and per km².

Hi Maximus,
Are you a pilot?
Pcq, a few months ago, I flew from Brussels to Gdansk, and I never saw the ground; clouds, and clouds all over the flight; I even say to myself, the sun happens to pass through such a cloud cover : Shock:

I am not a pilot: too short-sighted : Evil: but I have pilots in my family and so I knew other pilots, elders, who told me the same thing: there is a considerable increase in cloudiness since the 60 / 70 years.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 01/12/11, 08:14

Hmm, we know, but it comes back on the carpet.
The PERGELISOL threat: a time bomb for our climate

http://www.rtl.be/info/monde/internatio ... tre-climat

The PERGELISOL threat: a time bomb for our climate

The accelerated melting of frozen arctic subsoils, permafrost, will accentuate the effect of global warming in proportions that are all the more worrying as they are largely underestimated by current models, says a study. In total, Arctic lands would contain 1.700 billion tons of carbon.

With rapidly rising temperatures in Arctic regions, permafrost (frozen arctic basements), which usually remain frozen throughout the year, is melting. It accounts for nearly 19 million kmNUMX, about one-fifth of the northern Hemisphere's landmass. This permafrost is a huge reserve of organic carbon, the remains of plants and animals that have accumulated in the soil over millennia. This carbon stock is neutralized by frost in the subsoil, but with the melting of permafrost (Russian permafrost), microbial organisms begin to decompose it and release some of it into the atmosphere.

4x more than all the carbon emitted by men in modern times!

1.700 billion tonnes of carbon is "about four times more than all the carbon emitted by human activities in modern times and double what the atmosphere contains today", underline two American biologists, Edward Schuur and Benjamin Abbott, in a commentary published Wednesday by the British journal Nature. According to these scientists and around forty international experts from the Permafrost Carbon Network who signed the study, this figure represents "more than triple" the previous estimates used in climate change models. These emissions will have an impact on global warming 2,5 times higher, because the melting permafrost produces not only carbon dioxide (CO2) but also methane (CH4).
0 x
stipe
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stipe » 01/12/11, 09:09

[humor]
When I think that my gas, I pay 30% more expensive than last year while he goes back alone from the oceans and more and more, there are really who put their pockets full ... .
[/humor]
0 x
"the goal of every life is to end" !.
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 01/12/11, 13:20

56 million years ago, this methane frozen at the bottom of the oceans has become so hot that it has exploded in the ocean floor by digging huge pits that have left visible traces.
So this can be explosive, this methane solidified with the water that becomes gaseous again with 3 at 5 ° C more at the bottom of the cold oceans at 2 at 4 ° C, which is currently warming up and then making huge bubbles of methane from several km3.
If all this stored methane is released, we will warm the earth of 15 ° C, as 56million years ago, rise of the seas of 70m more slowly, but inexorably over thousands of years, poles to 15 ° C fade , and 10 at 15 ° C more everywhere !!!

Already there is 15000 in this inexorable rise of seas 120m took place spontaneously and there is still 70m climb possible inexorable, impossible to stop from 2 to 4m per century !!!
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 01/12/11, 15:20

56 million years ago, this methane frozen at the bottom of the oceans has become so hot that it has exploded in the ocean floor by digging huge pits that have left visible traces.

EXPLOSE! without air? : Shock:
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."