Study on the future cost of global warming

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Study on the future cost of global warming

by Christophe » 30/10/06, 23:22

Shall our thinking heads start to make econologic ?

A former World Bank official says global warming could cost the global economy up to 5,5 trillion euros (7 trillion dollars) if governments do not take drastic action over 10 coming years.

So, doing nothing to tackle climate change risks causing an economic crisis of the magnitude of 1930, says a UK report on the cost of climate change. The report by Nicholas Stern, a UK government economist, says the benefits of actions taken around the world to tackle climate change will far outweigh the costs. The 700-page report, to be released today, says whatever we do now, it's already nearly impossible to keep greenhouse gases at a level that scientists say would prevent the worst consequences. of climate change. He says that, contrary to what was argued by US President George Bush, who withdrew from the Kyoto Protocol, in part because he believes it would cost jobs, the world does not have to choose between fighting against climate change and economic growth. "The data the study found leads to a simple conclusion: the benefits of strong and swift action considerably outweigh the costs," says the report prepared for Prime Minister Tony Blair and Finance Minister Gordon Brown.

Guest of Sky News yesterday, UK Environment Minister David Milliband insisted on the importance of a "global, not national response" to the problem. "It is vital that the main emitters (of greenhouse gases) like the United States and growing economies like China or India are also part of the solution," he added.

The UN is due to open the November 6 in Nairobi climate talks that aim to find a follow-up to the Kyoto Protocol, which expires in 2012. Blair calls for a post-Kyoto deal that would include the United States - the world's largest emitter of greenhouse gases - as well as major developing countries such as China and India. Kyoto is hiring 35 rich countries to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by five percent by 2008-2012 compared to 1990 levels. But many signatories to the Protocol are far from this goal.

According to Stern, if the current trend continues, average temperatures will increase by two to three degrees centigrade over the next fifty years. If emissions continue to rise, the Earth could heat up several more degrees with serious consequences that would hit poor countries first and foremost. The melting of glaciers would initially increase the risk of coastal flooding and then reduce the quantity of available water, threatening one sixth of the world population, mainly in the Indian subcontinent, part of China and the Andes. Declining harvests, particularly in Africa, could put hundreds of millions of people unable to produce or buy enough food. Rising sea levels could result in flooding every year tens or even hundreds of millions more people.

The report estimates that stabilizing greenhouse gases in the atmosphere will cost about one percent of global GDP by 2050. But if nothing is done, it will reduce consumption per person by five to twenty percent. Nicholas Stern advocates a coordinated international approach to combat climate change and stresses that efforts must be shared equitably between rich and poor. He suggests that the rich countries will take over 2050 from reducing 60's 80% emissions from 1990. Fighting global warming would bring new opportunities for the industry, says Stern, who estimates at least 500 billion annually by 2050 the market for low-carbon products. It advocates a doubling in the world of public spending on research and development of this type of product and a strong increase in incentives for their use. According to Stern it will be necessary to make pay the pollution by means of taxes or a regulation.

Source: http://www.banquemondiale.org/
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 03 / 11, 12: 18, 2 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/10/06, 23:25

Other articles evoking the subject:

(CN) - According to a British official report, global warming could lead to savings as serious as the two world wars or the 1929 crisis if nothing is done to stop it.

According to the same report, the world can very well reconcile environmental protection and economic growth.

At the presentation of the report, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said that "the scientific evidence of the existence of this phenomenon is overwhelming".

According to him, if nothing is done, global warming could cost 5 to 20% of the GDP of the world economy each year.

http://www.corusnouvelles.com/nouvelle- ... 68-12.html

The international community must mobilize to stem global warming. According to an expert, a "catastrophic" economic recession threatens if nothing is done.
Any inaction would result in "disruptions in economic and social activity of a magnitude similar to those that followed the greatest wars and the Great Depression of the first half of the twentieth century," warned Monday Sir Nicholas Stern, former chief economist of the World Bank on the occasion of the publication of the report bearing his name.

http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSe ... id=7209518

All in good time...
Last edited by Christophe the 30 / 03 / 11, 12: 19, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/10/06, 00:08

Let's just hope for one thing or two:

1) That this is not an announcement effect of English policies to "recover" the fashion for global warming: https://www.econologie.com/forums/une-verite ... t2350.html

2) That this be followed by CONCRETE AND RAPID measures towards a more econological society ...
0 x
Lolox
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Lolox » 31/10/06, 01:21

In any case, I do not understand well ...
How can one quantify the cost of global warming even though no one agrees on the extent of it ??!

Based on the data provided by the IPCC, I believe that there is a risk of being far from a reliable figure since the ones they propose vary from year to year, with each release of the annual report. ...

Although the idea of ​​this estimate is commendable, I think it is rather an effect of announcement of the English government on the theme of the RC.
I hope it will at least have the merit of moving things in the right direction, for the good of the Planet :|
0 x
"Experience is the name men give to their mistakes" O. Wilde
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 31/10/06, 09:23

Hello,
I heard last night at the 20h00 newscast a report on this report written by this econosmist : Shock: english:
OK, they seem to realize some old biker and that ever !! all means are good for this cause : Mrgreen:
But then the rest are just economic considerations: basically we really feel that if there was no economic threat to their sacrosanct growth, they would dope the shell : Evil: : Evil: : Evil: and that, that embarrasses me
0 x
The absurdities of yesterday are the truths of today and tomorrow banalities.
(Alessandro Marandotti)
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 31/10/06, 09:56

renaud67 wrote:But then the rest are just economic considerations: basically we really feel that if there was no economic threat to their sacrosanct growth, they would dope the shell : Evil: : Evil: : Evil: and that, that embarrasses me

We do not care, as long as it moves in the right direction. Because The good idea is to say that we will earn money by making efforts to limit global warming. Our economies, our states understand only this language, it is the business that makes this world turn, not econological, humanistic and other considerations.
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 31/10/06, 10:15

Bham you're not a little journalist: you get out of my message that what interests you while two lines above I say that everything is good to take for this cause: can you correct your messgae thank you
0 x

(Alessandro Marandotti)
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 31/10/06, 11:44

renaud67 wrote:Bham you're not a little journalist: you get out of my message that what interests you while two lines above I say that everything is good to take for this cause: can you correct your messgae thank you

renaud67, I admit that I fell on my ass when I read your reaction and I admit that I don't really know what to answer you. It seems that I offended you by "extracting from your post only what interested me". Well, I was actually only reacting to the 2nd part of your post and I don't see how I could correct my post?
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 31/10/06, 12:09

If we read your message containing the excerpt from mine, we go (about me) say holds a franchouillard tjrs raleur and against everything, except it is false, I am very happy with the awareness but I'm seééé that the engine is always the dough.
You can simply remove the passage from my message or put it in its entirety, remove from a global context we can say what we want to words that's what I do not like. That said, I do not think it's voluntary on your part.
Voili, voilou : Mrgreen:
0 x

(Alessandro Marandotti)
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 01/11/06, 09:37

renaud67 wrote:If we read your message containing the excerpt from mine, we go (about me) say holds a franchouillard tjrs raleur and against everything, except it is false, I am very happy with the awareness but I'm seééé that the engine is always the dough.
You can simply remove the passage from my message or put it in its entirety, remove from a global context we can say what we want to words that's what I do not like. That said, I do not think it's voluntary on your part.
Voili, voilou : Mrgreen:

"withdrawing from a global context we can make words say what we want, that's what I don't like"

First: I do not remove your message extract from the global context since I'm still in the same subject of the same forum econology. I mean, the readers who will come on the subject will not read which my message, they will read the whole thing with all posts, including yours. If I had moved this excerpt in another topic, see on another forumok, but that's not the case.

Second: Remove the passage from your message: it's nonsense, a forum is a place of exchange that sometimes relies on the posts of some to react, confirm, deny, advance the discussion, what I did. Not to mention that there was no personal attack on you.
Or put it in its entirety: it is also nonsense, it's as if you were quoting an entire page of a book, only wanting to react on a sentence, a paragraph. Do you think that the reader would know which sentence or paragraph of the page you refer to while reading? Of course not.

Therefore, I find your reaction totally sterile or childish and this exchange of useless posts pollutes the subject of global warming.

And finally I allow myself to point out to you another possibility of reassuring the readers as to what you are not, namely a "franchouillard always grumbling ...": it is enough for you to add a post after mine by saying in short: it's true, I said that "But then the rest are only economic considerations: basically we really have the impression that if there was no economic threat to their sacrosanct growth , they would stamp the shell and that, it bothers me "but contrary to what bham suggests, I believe that all means are good, blah blah ........ you see, this is not complicated to do and you save your image (though?).
0 x