My bio-climatic house

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

My bio-climatic house

by jean63 » 01/02/06, 16:32

I will introduce you to my bio-climatic home:

- In wood frame / wood cladding in Red Cedar (rotten) wood that grows in British Columbia in western Canada (in the country of Andrew).

- Insulation: 15 cms of rock wool in the walls + 20 cms in the roof.

- Garage and boiler room in the North (thermal buffer)

- Porch to the south communicating with the living room by a large sliding window.

- Large bay window sliding to the west to capture the heat

- Roller shutters in Oregon pine on all windows (motorized on large windows.

Today, it is very beautiful and cold (-7 ° C tonight) (+ 4 ° C North in the shade at 15 hours). The bay window between the living room and the veranda is open all afternoon and lets in the heat.
The heat also enters the bay window on the west side.

The heating is provided by a network of pipes in the ground at RdCh and radiators acova low temperate upstairs.

The heat is supplied, for the moment by a gas boiler.

I plan one day to install solar collectors for heating and hot water (cost and subsidy problems, but it will come).

We must wait for the right balance point.

I will put pictures in www.image-dream.com : Mrgreen:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 01/02/06, 18:37

Hello
the insulation of my house is 6 inches in the wall and 16 inches in the attic with a ventilation system, the snow must remain on the roof otherwise the house is poorly insulated.
it's also -8 and -5 here and it's a mild temperature is abnormal for us. We never had a rainy day in the winter, before we saw the fences in the fields, there were snow borders along the roads, now the ditches are no longer filled, and we can not cross any more. rivierres in cars, the ice is too thin, it is to believe that the weather is reversed we are warmer, and you are colder!
I also have a glass all glass back, it heats the house even in winter when there is sun.
What I appreciate most is my geothermal heating system with the water of the earth, heating is air conditioning
It may seem expensive to install but over a long period is interesting, think about this system in your choices.

Andre
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 01/02/06, 19:00

Roof insulation is important. I have almost finished doubling the rock wool insulation of the roof, fixed between the rafters, by a multilayer insulation (on the note they specify that it is equivalent to 20cm of rockwool).

I still have 1 / 8ème roof to do, but I already feel the benefits, the nasty feeling of cold that came down from the floor has disappeared! After that, I will lay a layer of 2 mm polystyrene (which is used to lay the floating floors) to leave a layer between the aluminum and the wood of the finished paneling.

Otherwise, I also insulated the sliding door of the garage and made a glazing for the door of the laundry room. Again, immediate gain of 3 ° C in this unheated room exposed to the northeast.
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 01/02/06, 21:47

Hello
Do you know this site?
http://www.eco-logis.com
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 01/02/06, 23:38

Andre wrote:it's also -8 and -5 here and it's a mild temperature is abnormal for us. We never had a rainy day in the winter, before we saw the fences in the fields, there were snow borders along the roads, now the ditches are no longer filled, and we can not cross any more. rivierres in cars, the ice is too thin, it is to believe that the weather is reversed we are warmer, and you are colder!
Andre

Colder ... it's fast said!
Except 3 days of heavy and sticky snow followed by a strong east wind then rain, these days we have 15 at 16 ° c the top of the day and the early morning -1 at -2 ° c at all break! Not an exceptional winter with us in the south, except perhaps late (March with black frosts) as the year before.
A highlight throughout the country: a water deficit!
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

geothermal

by jean63 » 02/02/06, 09:05

Andre : Arrow:

Hello,

Your geothermal heating, it is water collection at great depth? (What would surprise me for a particular .... it's done in Ile-France-Parisian suburbs- for buildings) or rather pipes buried 80 cms deep in your land with a water-water heat pump + underfloor heating?

At what temperature is the water leaving the field - heat pump inlet and what return temperature -> field?

Thanks for all your info.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 02/02/06, 09:10

lau wrote:Colder ... it's fast said!
Except 3 days of heavy and sticky snow followed by a strong east wind then rain, these days we have 15 at 16 ° c the top of the day and the early morning -1 at -2 ° c at all break! Not an exceptional winter with us in the south, except perhaps late (March with black frosts) as the year before.

Ben in the east is -5 every morning with snow. I do not know if it's particularly cold since it's my first winter there. But on the side of my Normandy I know that winter is rather "honorable" compared to the usual (it is never very cold there usually).
lau wrote:A highlight throughout the country: a water deficit!

There it is clear that there is a hell of a fleet lack !! You will see that they will still wait for the month of July to put water restrictions when the tablecloths are already flat ... It would be nice if one day our dear prefects were thinking of decreeing the restrictions several months before the summer when it still has a chance to serve something ...
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: My bio-climatic home

by Rulian » 02/02/06, 09:16

jean63 wrote:I will introduce you to my bio-climatic home:
- In wood frame / wood cladding in Red Cedar (rotten) wood that grows in British Columbia in western Canada (in the country of Andrew).
- Roller shutters in Oregon pine on all windows (motorized on large windows.
-Heating is provided by a network of pipes in the ground at RdCh and radiators acova low temperate upstairs.

Thank you for this interesting little testimony.

So I have 3 questions:

- Your woods come from British Columbia and Oregon. Would it be possible to replace them with essences massively available in France or Western Europe to have local sources of supply?

- What is ACOVA radiators ??

- Did you try to see what that gave CO2 nivo with the spreadsheet Kyot'Home ?? : Mrgreen:

Thank you for these responses !
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

origin of the woods

by jean63 » 02/02/06, 10:11

Hello,

Regarding the woods:

1 - the frame + frame + floor were made with local wood from the Noirétable region (wood recovered following a storm in 1983); it is Douglas fir normally rot-proof.

2 - at the time, the architect had advised me the Red Cedar which has a superb color when it has just been put down but has the advantage of being rot-proof (I did not treat this wood with anything it is ..lasure..etc, it has become gray see black in places). I could have used larch which is used a lot in Alpine chalets, and is rot-proof, but at the time I did not know.
I clean the weather affected facades at the karcher by modulating the pressure. I think this blackish deposit is due to pollution by heating oil / coal and coal in winter and especially in foggy weather like these days, there may be some mushrooms too?

3 - the Oregon pin for roller shutters is that I wanted neither aluminum nor PVC (aesthetics and ecology), so I put wood. Manufacturers use Oregon pine because of its structure: to make shutter slats you need wood that is resistant to temperature variations. They received 3 layers of glaze before installation and since then I iron a maintenance layer every 5 years (following exposure).

I will show photos of 80 (recent cladding) and now in 2006.
I forgot the other question .....
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

acova radoators

by jean63 » 02/02/06, 10:17

Acova radiators (it is a manufacturer); in fact they have a large surface heat diffusion, have a low inertia because they are steel and not cast like the old ones (which can be a disadvantage..but it is planned to walk rather in low temperature like floor).

We can order custom size and shape + color (pre-painted).

I will take a picture when I have a moment

There are surely other brands that make this type of radiators.

I have not used the CO2 tester yet ..... it will come.
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."