Carbon offsetting

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
LG33
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Carbon offsetting

by LG33 » 09/04/14, 12:26

Hello, everyone, I registered on the forum because I have a question, maybe even a small project, but big doubt about its viability ...

I am currently a plumber on my account (to understand more)

Inspired by the programs of photographer Yann Arthus Bertrand (including the end: "This show is offset carbon ..." and explanations that go with) I wondered if it was not possible to do the same thing on my scale, I of course I found the actioncarbone site but I wanted something more concrete, from a distance (even if the site is great and I encourage to participate: calculating its carbon footprint and compensation by supporting various actions to fight against reheating)

So, and that's where I need you, I had the idea to offset the CO2 emissions due to my vehicle during my travels on my sites, by paying back part of the amount of my invoice in the form of a voucher at a nursery (local of course, otherwise it loses interest)

The tree, growing up, would compensate the CO2 due to my movements during the construction.

Well, it's nice said like that but ...

It seems obvious that people will not go to plant a pine, an oak tree or another giant tree in their garden / balcony ...

So, is it viable with small trees / plants?

Do they consume enough CO2 to compensate? (compensate a DCI80 traffic to 205gr of co2 / km ...)

Which type of plant to favor? Those fast growing I suppose, the small fruit trees would they be adapted? (lemon, cherry ...)

Well, if it is, it's completely utopian and unrealistic, that's why I'm here. :)

(ps: not found presentation topic, I do not know if there is one ...)
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 09/04/14, 21:33

At the symbolic level it is better to plant a tree, but in terms of efficiency, considering your profession, it may be better for you to help or work more in the renewable. Just think about that,

I am building a solar system to preheat the water that enters several electric water heaters.
I'm going to put 200 m of black garden hose in 25 on my roof without window the cold water will heat the summer the temperature will rise to about 70 ° the winter of course it will be insufficient but it will still be preheated then I will send it in a first heater without resistance. To circulate the water I will simply put an electrovalve at the hot exit of this water heater which will open from 12h to 15h and flow of 200l for 3 h this water will return to the water table. I said that I have a well and the cost of pumping water is very low for me.

Of course this system will be less efficient than a solar panel but much cheaper
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 09/04/14, 23:51

a small tree that grows quickly but is useless is worthless: when it dies it rots and all the carbon becomes CO2 again

it must at least make firewood: burning this wood saves another energy

it's even better when it makes wood that can be used as building materials: it has even more value: it can replace concrete or steel with even greater energy content than firewood

this approach is interesting: why would there be only large companies who would benefit from the system by planting trees at the other end of the world (or by palnatant nothing because it is too far to check)

alas I would not be surprised if there is a minimum fee that makes this kind of small-scale operation impossible

it's like multiple small parcels of wood that can be rotten around my home because the small owner does not know how to do it ... because there are too many costs to sell too small a plot and to make things workable
0 x
LG33
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by LG33 » 11/04/14, 14:27

Thank you both for your passages,

To answer Raymon, yes it may be interesting to propose renewable energy in my services, it is an expansion of my services that I provide, but it requires training, after supplier / manufacturer, costly in time and money, but it's still planned;)

For your project it seems good to see the use, but I did not understand why put two balloon, I guess they are interconnected? (or it's me who misunderstood) Be careful to keep the water at a good temperature (+ 60 ° C) in this water heater without resistance to prevent the development of legionellosis.

For Chatelot16
It seemed to me that when a tree dies, only a part (maybe a big part ...) of the co2 was released in the atmosphere, and another found in the ground.
Actually thinking about the use of this wood when cutting is ideal, only working with the particular is impossible ...
It is certain that it will not be used for construction, which would be ideal because they are small trees, like cherry, lemon or other ornamental ... all of a reasonable size for a garden (size so reasonable that I wonder if they are likely to offset my co2 issues.)

There may be other ways to compensate, and I'm an idea taker and suggestion, but what I like about this idea is that maybe it could make people aware of a problem in a concrete way; it's happening here at home (us) and not just on TV thousands of miles away ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/04/14, 16:04

the carbon of the tree has been fixed for eternity when the geological condition is formed layers of coal or oil

but this eternity is shortened with the coal mine and the oil wells

what part of the tree's carbon stays in the soil when it's finished? I do not believe much

but whenever we can replace an oil heating with an efficient wood heating, we are on fossil carbon that we save

that's why I like the heating with wood chips or we can easily mix any crushed wood be even
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/04/14, 12:45

Hello LG33 !
All our civilizations (perhaps it would be better to use the singular?) Strives to destroy the conditions that allow life on earth. It is the success of this company, become visible by all who is the cause of the invention of carbon compensation.
Thanks to this amazing concept, it is possible to abuse the good souls who are moved by it (destruction), to reassure them and, therefore, to continue cheerfully, as in the good old days, but greener!
I believe you sincerely in your approach, but your idea would only be suitable if you wanted to surf the tartufferie room and enjoy this marketing plan to promote your business ...

Technically, planting decorative trees in your customers' gardens is not a good idea because the maintenance and the various problems related to the evolution of life in these artificial spaces inevitably generate more carbon than stores (so little is it) ...
Another technical point raised is that the tree stores carbon in the soil throughout its life and also at its death, but all this is finally the object of transfers that lead to perfect neutrality *.

Humor mode on:
Why don't you take part in one of these carbon offset programs which consists of installing a beautiful palm oil plantation in place of an ugly primary forest?
Humor mode off

* The period of which speaks Chatelot is an exception to this neutrality and carbon has accumulated over millions of years because bacteria, fungi and molds that recycle carbonaceous material did not exist yet. 'a breathable atmosphere by humans and favorable to their development, atmosphere that we make regress at full speed ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
LG33
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by LG33 » 14/04/14, 10:09

Thank you to you for your reaction, indeed I had not taken certain parameters into account, in particular the death of the tree and the release of a (large) part of its co2 ... nor the "various problems related to the 'evolution of the living ... "I suppose you are talking about diseases / treatment, going back to the garden center to buy treatment, gardening tool etc.

So actually my idea seems to have fallen into the water :(
It would be almost more useful to offer a piece of raw wood furniture : Lol:

For carbon offset programs, I did not do it, but I admit that it tempted me well, even if it is impossible (for me) to check where the money goes, I had to locate the site actioncarbone ( via goodplanet) but I understand that everything is not very clear, and especially it became a big kiss ...

In short, I did well to come to ask questions, thank you :)
That's also why I wanted to do something more ... "real"
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/04/14, 13:09

The possibilities of action remain limited, because as agent (involuntary!) Of the system, you necessarily help to its good functioning.

However, there is still some room for maneuver, much more positive, though less glamorous than the hypothetical carbon storage envisaged.

In the daily exercise of your job as a plumber, it is possible for you to significantly reduce the negative consequences of your activity, simply by doing it correctly, that is to say against the current trend: be of good advice for your customers, strive- you to find the most appropriate solutions, the most economical in material, energy ... in short, demonstrate an unusual virtue that goes against your immediate interests *. :P

I think you can easily understand the meaning of my remarks, however do not hesitate to ask for clarifications or clarifications.

* But maybe not so much, if you know how to explain it to your practice.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
LG33
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by LG33 » 14/04/14, 13:18

I understand everything to do your words! ;)
And strives to go in this direction: favor French products (although they are sometimes made in China and assembled here), do not push for consumption unnecessarily, promote economic product water etc :)
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/04/14, 13:33

your idea of ​​organizing carbon compensation on a small scale is very good! why leave only big companies that do not smoke?

what is good for carbon is not to plant trees, it is to use them in a better way than to let them rot

as a heating plumber, when you install a boiler pelet, it's already good because it allows to burn wood instead of burning oil

but if you install a boiler foriestiere plate is even better, because the owner could buy a small grinder and grind his garden waste and mix with the plate: so burn all the energy of what grows in his garden instead of spending gas to bring waste to waste

burning wet garden waste is a calamity as a source of pollution, dry is complicated because it want to rot faster than dry: but mixed with wood chips already dry, the moisture of the whole is instantaneously weak enough not to rot ... and the porosity of the whole and sufficient for it to be dry good to burn in a few months

since I made this mixture, all the branches that I cut in the garden pass there, and what cut some neighbor there also passes of brushing bramble branch hedge ... but not the grass mowed too hard to dry, it would be rather for a methanizer, and that's another story
0 x