Eco-Balance CO2 a ... bottle of Heineken beer!

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

Eco-Balance CO2 a ... bottle of Heineken beer!

by Christophe » 11/10/11, 12:54

Some figures on the carbon dioxide eco-balance of "liquid bread":

262,5 grams of CO2

This is the environmental impact of a small bottle of glass beer (25 cl) Heineken.

From the ear of barley to the treatment of packaging through the fridge pepper ... sorry, the consumer, 100 ml of beer weigh 105 grams CO2 equivalent on the planet. Brought back to the size of the bottle in question (25 cl), we obtain: 262,5 g. eq. CO2.
Unsurprisingly, the most greedy step is the extraction of raw materials from packaging and their manufacture. Glass bottle, labels, capsule and cardboard pump 43% of the balance sheet. Nevertheless, the whole is composed of 79,3% of recycled materials and is recycled at 100%.

The agricultural stage represents barely more than 10% of the environmental weight of the beer. The life cycle analysis is signed by BIO Intelligence Service, a consulting firm specializing in the environmental assessment of products.
Because the Dutch brewer, first in turnover of sales in France, counts among the 150 voluntary companies to try the environmental display. Voluntary ? The measure promised in September 2007 is, in fact, no longer mandatory. Remember, the Grenelle 2 law provided for its generalization to 1er January 2011. After the final vote of the text at the end of June 2010, there remained only one experiment of one year.

But "it is essential to move towards new modes of information on the environmental impact of consumer products," said Patrick Villemin, chairman of the sustainable development committee of Heineken France, in a press release. That's why the group has the big game: dedicated section on its website: online questionnaire to collect consumer opinions, flash-code in hypermarkets to access the web page containing all the information on the impact of the small bottle of beer.
Heineken France has set itself the goal of "becoming the greenest brewer-distributor by 2013 and [keeping] a head start in sustainable development". Our suggestion to help them: go organic. Which, in the beer industry, flows in a trickle.

Source: http://www.terraeco.net/262-5-grammes-de-CO2,19585.html

ps: interesting we have almost the mass parity (1g of beer = 1g of CO2) :) to compare to other drinks ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/10/11, 21:04

... and recycle to 100%.
The glass material can be, but not the energy necessary for its transformation in bottle, but this is its essential constituent (see graph) ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/10/11, 21:13

Heineken: 1gr = 1gr of Co2 ...

And how much is the Zweineken?
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 11/10/11, 21:19

Ahmed wrote:
... and recycle to 100%.
The glass material may be, but not the energy necessary for its transformation into a bottle, this is its essential constituent (see graph) ...

It depends ... Pour the beer is the coffin, and Christophe has forgotten the footprint Co2 transport to the cemetery!

Green drinkers know what they have to do :D
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/10/11, 21:51

About beer bottles, do you know that I made an extremely disturbing personal observation, a comment that contradicts classical physics * (that is perhaps why, to my knowledge, no one has ever done state)?

Each of you has seen the impressive number of empty cans that are abandoned in nature, along the paths ... Maybe you are contented yourself, heaps of big crap, this simple observation; I have, as you can imagine, pushed further the analysis.

My initial hypothesis postulates that, 1- in all likelihood, these bottles arrived full, in the company of their owners; 2- the contents of said bottles are passed into the stomachs of their holders, according to a well-known rite, called "communion with nature".

It remains to explain the essential: why the can, once relieved of its content, is the subject of such a widespread abandonment?
Pessimistic minds will invoke in vain an amiable incivility.
This explanation is singularly lacking in scientific rigor and only serves to relay a widespread prejudice.

In truth, I tell you, it's because that an empty can weighs much heavier than a full canif not how to explain that the energy intake of beer ingested is not enough for return transport?

* There is perhaps there, who knows, material development of a surrouner engine?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/10/11, 22:04

Very good prose of Ahmed! I hesitate to copy / paste in humor :)

The study quoted above examines well the glass can ... glass that ecologically also concerns me for a while ... actually since 2006 when I weighed bottles of Coke and compared the different packaging of this poison...

Blog: https://www.econologie.info/index.php?20 ... -coca-cola
Corresponding debate: https://www.econologie.com/forums/coca-cola- ... t2422.html

Because if an empty can is not necessarily heavier than a filled can (although hihihih), an empty glass can is heavier than an empty metal can ...

It would therefore be very interesting to have the same "metallic" version study ...

ps: Obamot is Schweineken who has to say (in Alsace) : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Climate Change: CO2, warming, greenhouse effect ..."