The climate is changing ... and mentalities and society?

Warming and Climate Change: causes, consequences, analysis ... Debate on CO2 and other greenhouse gas.
Christophe

The climate is changing ... and mentalities and society?

by Christophe » 12/03/11, 23:14

Climate change is faster than mentalities

Interview - Environmental and risk sociologist Florence Rudolf has been working on the ways in which society views the climate threat. A "terrain" at the heart of his book "The climate is changing ... and society? ".

Let's start with the conclusion of your book: can our society adapt to the consequences of climate change?

Florence Rudolf: I must confess that as I explored this terrain, I despaired more and more.

That much ?

Yes, because climate change is going at a pace far more frantic than that of our societies. It reminds me of the book "Collapse" by Jared Diamond, which describes situations in which human societies are totally overwhelmed by the events of which they are the origin.

Certainly, but unlike the Vikings of Greenland or the Maya, our civilizations are aware of what happens to them ...

There is a huge production of speech, but it is still very insufficient to generate any action.

For what reasons ?

Unconsciously, it is clear that the solution does not go through small transformations. Worse, these transformations, fundamental, will have to be realized in a rather short temporality. This reinforces the issue. There is also a problem of power of action.

That is to say ?

Today, on the planet, it is a little like on Easter Island in the sixteenth century, with all its tribes who were unable to develop an island governance. We know what this has done: the end of Pascuane civilization.

Do you think that this inaction can be a consequence of the action, precisely, of climate-skeptics?

What despairs me in this story of skeptics is that they make quibble politicians and decision makers on some degree or on a hypothetical influence of the sun. But the problem is no longer there! The urgency is to set up research programs on new urban development, transport, the carbon economy ...

What does this controversy show?

The publicization of this controversy is at the same time the signal of a fear. His virulence is reassuring. It shows that those living in carbon-rich sectors feel threatened by this transformation. Because, in this transformation, there will be winners - those who emit little greenhouse gases - and losers, big emitters.

How do we see our future?

I come back from Forum World Social of Dakar. I met climatologists there who are very pessimistic. According to them, there will be very brutal climate changes that could overwhelm the adaptation capacities of our societies. This is already happening in the most vulnerable countries. And it's very violent. This makes me think that what we observe in African metropolises today is a fairly good representation of what awaits us in the near future. All these pressures on water, on land, all these wars for access to resources foreshadow what awaits us. The way we deal with climate issues is still very polished.

Source: http://www.terra-economica.info/Le-chan ... 16224.html
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 13/03/11, 14:50

You're good to talk about, indeed climate change is a bit like a fashion that no longer interests a lot of people.
From what I see in my life, most people do not care about climate change.
The concern although legitimate concerns more employment and "purchasing power" ...

To reflect on the events in Japan, I think that unfortunately only the 'Shocks' and other catastrophes are capable of changing mentalities ...
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/03/11, 14:55

sen-no-sen wrote:From what I see in my life, most people do not care about climate change.

That's right, and I've always been stunned by the following paradox:
a) The + or - menfutism about climate change (s)
b) The strong audience of weather reports

: Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

sen-no-sen wrote:To reflect on the events in Japan, I think that unfortunately only the 'Shocks' and other catastrophes are capable of changing mentalities ...

Well, coincidence, look at what I just proposed: https://www.econologie.com/forums/fukushima- ... 10585.html
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 13/03/11, 16:58

As the philosopher would say ... it is before the pit that humans take a step forward ... hi, hi, hi!

No, no jokes, it seems that a change of lifestyle is in short! and that it is in the face of difficulties that man gives the best of himself.

Unless humans are completely deaf and blind, I believe we will see profound changes, due to global events in our habitat, this good old earth. 8)

If by any chance, what is happening in Japan and Africa is not enough, then we could despair of human "consciousness". : Cry:

And choose to climb in our "virtual flying saucers" and go see elsewhere, if the air is not better and the grass greener. :? :? :?

Meow...
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 13/03/11, 22:05

Sen-no-sen wrote:
To reflect on the events in Japan, I think that unfortunately only the 'Shocks' and other catastrophes are capable of changing mentalities ...

To avoid an anthropic catastrophe, we must anticipate it, so change mentality, that is to say think .
A reversal of judgment that would be due to particular circumstances is imposed by them and is not a free and creative act; on the contrary, to think supposes the preliminary construction of a utopia ...
Bertrand Méheust is very dubious about our ability to change and insists instead on intellectual inertia.

In my opinion, the discourse on changing mentalities (greener, more eco-responsible ...) is there to dissuade us from making the least possible change in substance.

Another remark, "shocks" and other catastrophes are an opportunity to manipulate public opinion, as noted Naomi Klein*.

*in "The shock strategy".
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 13/03/11, 23:16

Hi old brother!

Me, I still hope that the shock strategy will be the right one and have always done so, so wait & see ....

Tobe is not the question to day!

Miaouuuu :?
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Napo dwarf
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Napo dwarf » 14/03/11, 10:00

I will share my professional experience

I work for a local authority, I am in council on the new projects (I control what the BE put in the DCE)
at each project I tell them, it's ok ... it's okay it's an aberration, in the local computer style, they want to install an air conditioning with all the fresh air (nobody work in it)

the draft greenhouses heated by pebble tunnel (study that you helped me up, thank you again;)), the water

the latest project to date landscaping under crawling, I tell them the insulation must not put the mineral wool phase shift is not enough in summer it will be a furnace, I'll let you guess what ...

the BEs are focused on their turnover and are not interested in the energy saving aspect. As long as we do not impose more restrictive standards on them, they will do nothing about it.
I will even add that the communities are not doing anything to fix things, the services concerned do not impose anything on the BEs who do their best

me it swells me to see that

in fact for things to move forward, either a disaster or an ecological dictatorship
0 x
Of all those who have nothing to say, the nicest are those who are silent
fthanron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fthanron » 14/03/11, 15:49

Ahmed @

In my opinion, the discourse on changing mentalities (greener, more eco-responsible ...) is there to dissuade us from making the least possible change in substance.

Hello, I am interested in the development of this topic. Is it possible Ahmed?

Thank you in advance.

@+
0 x
Frederic
Napo dwarf
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Napo dwarf » 15/03/11, 08:18

I do not want to take Ahmed's place

but I think that what is stated is in fact all of these remedial actions for the environment that have only a limited impact
favor condensing boilers, solar panels, hybrid or electric vehicles, energy-efficient street lighting bulbs .....

on the other hand, the fundamental problems from which these solutions for improving energy performance result, such as: urban sprawl, succeed in imposing passive constructions, halving public lighting and limiting as much as possible the use of electricity for reduce the number of nuclear power plant, ... are only very rarely mentioned.

so of course the combination of the two would be ideal, but if the substantive issues are addressed, the healing solutions are no longer really important
0 x
Of all those who have nothing to say, the nicest are those who are silent
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 15/03/11, 10:58

Ahmed wrote:to dissuade us from operating as little as possible on the merits

Exactly. Above all, do not change your behavior and continue to consume more and more. But sort your trash well. For a truck that pollutes a maximum to pick them up ...

Well seen Napo dwarf, the wealthy collectors of "green" solutions who give themselves a clear conscience but who have not changed their mentality: always so many useless trips, in t-shirts inside in the middle of winter, low consumption lamps constantly on, meat to all meals, 18/24 TV, holidays on the other side of the planet ...

Brave little soldiers of our dear governors who swear by growth.
0 x
To argue.