New Obs: the lifestyle of the elected, the privileged?

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Christophe

New Obs: the lifestyle of the elected, the privileged?

by Christophe » 19/06/09, 12:39

A record as a crisis that will speak:

http://hebdo.nouvelobs.com/hebdo/paruti ... A9lus.html

Europe 1
The lifestyle of our elected officials

Indemnities, expense reports, benefits in kind ... Despite the commitments to transparency and rigor in times of crisis, our survey shows that the gray areas and small arrangements remain

Nicolas Sarkozy continues to burn. According to the calculations of the deputy PS René Dosière, who has made a specialty of tracking down the Châteaux's accounts, his expenses - 113 million euros - increased by 18,5% last year: "Operating expenses - receptions, supplies, telephone, internet ... - doubled and travel increased by 26%. We are told that we are putting suppliers in competition, but the July 14 reception cost 475 euros last year, compared to 000 a year earlier. ” More troubling: the accounting reveals a hole. "The presidency has spent 413 million euros more than the budget allocated to it," explains René Dosière. To justify this difference, the Elysée claims that this is an amount owed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Funny accounting! In any case, the will to save displayed by Sarkozy is not reflected in the figures. With one exception: social assistance. This envelope which is used to give boost to the French in trouble has been reduced by 000%.

In times of crisis, the lifestyle of elected officials is obviously an extremely sensitive subject. In the United Kingdom, the scandal of the phony bills of parliamentarians provokes a regime crisis (see opposite). The oldest democracy in the world is touched to the heart. What about in France, where the Republic was sunk in the palaces and the splendours of the Ancien Régime? Certainly, real progress has been made. In 2002, Lionel Jospin put an end to the reign of secret funds, this black money which was used to remunerate the ministers and their cabinets (see p. 16). Three years later, the scandal caused by the temporary housing of the short-lived minister Hervé Gaymard (2005) precipitated the adoption of regulations ... and prompted a good part of the government to give up this advantage (see p . 16). Better: after the excesses of his predecessor Christian Poncelet, Gérard Larcher, the president of the Senate, has imposed himself a discipline: to halve the surface of his accommodation. As for Nicolas Sarkozy, it must be recognized that he broke with the hypocrisy of these predecessors by lifting a corner of the veil on the rich hours of the Elysée.

But, precisely in times of crisis, did the morale of the French need to know "that"?
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 19/06/09, 12:45

Be careful not to generalize. He elected and elected there.

Personally, as, I think a good majority of local elected representatives of small municipalities, my function of municipal councilor certainly costs me more than it brings me.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/06/09, 12:52

Ah yes of course, here we are talking about the "big" elected at the national level ... those who move a lot, who talk a lot ... for a result on the ground ... not necessarily concrete. The opposite of local elected officials!

Most of the 36000 mayors of France have another job.

Besides, how many inhabitants can a Mayor live on? You know Targol?
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 19/06/09, 13:16

Christophe wrote:Besides, how many inhabitants can a Mayor live on? You know Targol?

wikipedia wrote:Allowances for mayors are defined in article L 2123-23 of the CGCT according to the size of the municipality, as a percentage of the gross terminal index of the public service index scale (known as: index 1015) [35 ].

Attention, these remunerations are remunerations maximum (there is no minimum) and the actual remuneration is voted by the municipal council between 0 and this max.
The councils can also remunerate delegate assistants in addition to the mayor and assistants but, in the communes of less than 100 inhabitants, the simple advisers are not remunerated. They are not even entitled to a few days of exceptional leave to carry out their duties.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/06/09, 13:29

Ah thank you for these clarifications!

Yes, that seems like a lot to me for a city of 1000 inhabitants!

And who pays the remuneration of the Mayors? What employment contract do they have?
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 19/06/09, 14:05

Christophe wrote:Ah thank you for these clarifications!

PADKWA :D

Christophe wrote:Yes, that seems like a lot to me for a city of 1000 inhabitants!
Be careful, it is generally in the smallest municipalities that the compensation voted by the council is the lowest. To go, in some small towns to a mayor and assistants "volunteers" not to burden the town. For example, in my commune of +/- 2000h, the mayor and the deputies are not paid to the maximum since, if I remember correctly, the gross of the mayor turns around 1200 €

Christophe wrote:And who pays the remuneration of the Mayors?
I can not be super precise on this, but I know that the town does not pay everything. As part of national solidarity, part of the remuneration of local elected officials comes from the upper echelons (department and / or region and / or state)

Christophe wrote:What employment contract do they have?
A renewable 6-year fixed-term contract : Cheesy:
More seriously, I don't know. It must be a special contract since they are criminally responsible on an individual basis for acts taken in the course of their duties.

Important note:

There is something I forgot to say: to the mayor's remuneration is often added other "salaries" paid by the communities of municipalities and, possibly, various unions (electrification, water, etc ...)
0 x
geotrouvetout
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by geotrouvetout » 19/06/09, 14:29

Targol wrote:Be careful not to generalize. He elected and elected there.

it is no longer a person who is elected, but a political party, and corruption does not reach only the high spheres but also small communities, as soon as one enters politics through any door. result is the same.
This can be seen all the more when this mayor presents himself for a place of deputy, the places are too good, without counting the places of presidency of movement, association etc ...
Since you can't be in the oven and in the mill, you have to choose to play politics (which in its sense means nothing) or take on the role of mayor.
The campaigns for the municipal do not have a little taste of those of the presidential (in general) ???

Geo;).
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 19/06/09, 14:41

geotrouvetout wrote:it is no longer a person who is elected, but a political party, and corruption does not reach only the high spheres but also small communities, as soon as one enters politics through any door. result is the same.

Attention Geo, you will end up offending me : Mrgreen:
for your first remark, I can only register as a fake since the list I was part of (which was elected in my village) is a melting pot that goes from the UMP for some to the left ecological / alternative.
As much in big cities the label counts more than the man, as much in the small ones, it is not true.
This distinction is even more marked in the communes of less than 3500hab where the law authorizes the voters to mix up the lists by striking out certain names to add others.

As for corruption, if some present themselves for glory, power or any other personal consideration, in a certain number of small communes, it is more to serve, to make things happen, even ... to furnish the retirement : Cheesy:
0 x
geotrouvetout
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by geotrouvetout » 19/06/09, 16:03

Despite everything, I do not want to generalize, but in certain positions or functions, we enter with full of good intentions but we are quickly sucked into the spiral of "always more", the temptation is so beautiful.
Even as you say, there is a melting pot, it remains political.
it's easy to put "shepherds" everywhere, so that we manage better the "sheep" that we are, especially since they use "dogs" (municipal) to call us to order (or remind us that we are just sheep).

Politics when you hold us !!!

Geo (not political);).
0 x
Nymette
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

divide and you will reign

by Nymette » 20/06/09, 08:52

I read you
Frankly we are not close to get out !!
We are talking to you about the Elysian and ELUS abuses and here you are once again confusing everything
Does this article target city councilors? no
Suddenly no real reaction on the formidable Expenses which strain the budget of note France already very sick.
You confuse everything and by dint of looking only at your personal cases, there are others who fill their pockets well!
We all know that the city policy demands a lot and that compensation from the mayor of a small town is well deserved.
So instead of "taking the fly" by feeling yourself targeted, look above what is happening and react no of no!
Unless seeing more and more poor people leaves you indifferent as long as we do not touch your "mandate of little elected" !!!
Me these expenses shock me because a government is only there to manage a company and must adapt to this company !!
We are in crisis but there seem to be 2 France: that of people who are experiencing the crisis and that of people who have the duty to spend without counting (whatever the budget exceeds that which was voted by 1.3M) lose the sense of values ​​and especially the moral sense !!! How can we believe that these high elected officials can understand the financial difficulty which becomes the concern of more than half of the population and help us to manage this problem if they themselves are unable to make an effort?
In England, we even ask British air line employees to work for free !!!
Do not worry: while you are arguing about your quality and your allowances as "little elected officials" ... we are going to put in place this kind of guilt "please work free if you want to maintain the French state" ... .
And then we are surprised that people no longer want to go to vote !!!!!
0 x