Smic hours and oil barrel price: how much?

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Christophe

Smic hours and oil barrel price: how much?

by Christophe » 21/12/06, 13:41

According to the data on the following 2 pages:

https://www.econologie.com/argent-petrole-brut/
economy-finance / evolution-of-smic-hourly-en-currency-constant-t2785.html

Edit: updated in November 2008

This new curve is more accurate because based on monthly data instead of annual data!
Method and debate: brent-oil-prices-in-current-euros-since-1990-t6543.html

Here: the evolution between 1980 and 2005 of the price of a barrel of oil per hour (SMIC = French minimum wage), all in constant currency of course (€ 2005 in this case).

Last edited by Christophe the 18 / 12 / 08, 11: 07, 6 edited once.
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 21/12/06, 18:02

I do not know,

If you increase the quantity of the same product for sale. The price falls ... or so you need to work less to buy this product.
At equal income, you get more. Well, I'm schematising, so I do not know if it's true.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/12/06, 18:18

freddau wrote:I do not know,

If you increase the quantity of the same product for sale. The price falls ... or so you need to work less to buy this product.
At equal income, you get more. Well, I'm schematising, so I do not know if it's true.

Uh, you should read this then: https://www.econologie.com/forums/historique ... t2717.html
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 10/01/07, 00:32

Christophe:

Your curve is beautiful, but there must have been a change since the 80s: motorists drive a lot more to go to work, on weekends ... etc. therefore the "oil" budget is proportionally higher compared to the salary ... and surely the maintenance / insurance budget must be much more important (it would be necessary to find a comparison with the total cost).

I know why I'm going to see the mechanic as little as possible !!! when to insurance I have been at 50% bonus for 20 years ... but for young people, insurance is a ruin (unless he has obtained his license following "accompanied driving from 16 years "- this is the case with my children).

I do not try to show that gas is too expensive, but that the overall cost of a car is important in a budget: the calculation is done in the Auto-Journal every year.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/07, 00:43

jean63 wrote:Your curve is beautiful, but there must have been a change since the 80s: motorists drive a lot more to go to work, on weekends ... etc. therefore the "oil" budget is proportionally higher compared to the salary ... and surely the maintenance / insurance budget must be much more important (it would be necessary to find a comparison with the total cost).

No Jean ... The fact that we roll bcp more does not fit in this curve because we do not speak of the% of the budget that represents the car but the price of energy in hours of work at the smic.

Everything is in constant currency so inflation has been taken into account.

I intend (it was planned before your remark) to make the same calculation with the stroke of a new average car ... and of course a first "blank" calculation it was necessary to work 9000h the smic to pay for a mid-range car in 1982 and it only takes 3000 now ...

In other words: proportionally the investment of a current car is 3 times lighter than there is 20 years... I doubt that the fact that we drive "bcp" more compensates for a fuel cost divided by 3 ... The days are not 3 times longer and the average speed is more or less the same ...

The only losers of these facts are the future generations ...
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 10/01/07, 08:57

Christophe wrote:
In other words: proportionally the investment of a current car is 3 times lighter than there is 20 years ...

Well, ok; I will therefore show this curve to my children born in 1977 and 1979 and tell them "this is what my car cost me in 1980 when I was your age approx. and what yours costs you today". They would therefore be more encouraged to ride than me at the same age !!

So we were less demanding on that level.

By cons in terms of rents, there I think the report is more than reversed (especially in Paris), mine are in Le Havre and Toulouse.

When the rest, there are other sources of expenditure (PC, internet, such as laptops, branded clothing, ... multiple incentives to conso: DVDs, ....) that we did not have, but I never borrowed money to buy a vehicle, the only loan was to build my house.

I would like to have a comparison on all positions.

I would like to know the difference between the SMIC and the salary of a teacher of the French Ed Nat in 1980 and today + the tax rate + the costs of electricity and heating + food ... in short the evolution of the standard of living.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/07, 13:22

1) Here I agree.

This is because car and fuel are cheaper than driving more ... not the other way around ...

2) For rents yes ... but it does not really have an impact on global warming. It's pure speculation.

Besides, it is clearly becoming anything in some cities (including Strasbourg) ... Look while leafing through the last mag I found 2 "funny" ads (or rather distressing for young people like us): an apartment (modern and in "suburbs") at 350 €, and a land of 000 ares 17 km from strasbourg at 30 € ...

There is also a download about the "bubble": https://www.econologie.com/la-bulle-immo ... -2909.html

3) For the rest you should be able to find it quite easily on the net ... let us know ...:)
0 x
hug
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by hug » 13/01/07, 21:48

Christophe wrote:1) Here I agree.

This is because car and fuel are cheaper than driving more ... not the other way around ...

So, we should look in the budget, what is the% occupied by oil.
Since the drying up, it would be necessary to multiply the price of the barrel by the number of barrel consumed by French.
0 x
The only renewable energy is energy saving.
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/01/07, 23:04

hug wrote:So, we should look in the budget, what is the% occupied by oil.

Yes ... Yapluka!

hug wrote:Since the drying up, it would be necessary to multiply the price of the barrel by the number of barrel consumed by French.

Uh, I do not see the interest? We would simply have the profits of the French tankers ... (and of the State by the same by approximating the taxes) ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/01/08, 12:06

I revive this subject a bit following the "overwhelming" overshoot of the symobilique bar of $ 100 per barrel ( https://www.econologie.com/forums/le-baril-d ... t4551.html )

Here are some links to read about the price of oil:
https://www.econologie.com/taxation-fisc ... -3471.html
https://www.econologie.com/le-vrai-prix- ... s-479.html
https://www.econologie.com/petrole-et-ec ... -3578.html
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"