The future "drives" of mass distribution?

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

The future "drives" of mass distribution?

by Forhorse » 07/06/13, 15:46

Hello everybody
I do not know if this subject has already been discussed, in any case I do not remember.
I would like to address the issue of "drive" services offered more and more massively by various supermarket chains.
As a reminder (for those who have been in hibernation for the past 2 years) what they call the drive service works like this: you do your shopping online on the internet or on your smartphone, you choose the place (among those offered near to you) and the date / time of pickup of your order. When the time comes, you go to the drive and take your order. When it works, the time savings seem obvious!

When this system landed in France, I was rather reluctant. And it annoyed me to see these "drives" pushing in every corner of the mall. Above all, I saw this as one more way to reduce the wage bill in mass distribution and therefore an additional contribution to unemployment.

However, with hindsight (and although I have not yet had the opportunity to test this service) it seems to me that "drives" are an "ecological" alternative to the super / hypermarket.
I may be naive to believe this, but a drive-through service just seems better for the environment than a regular supermarket.
Already at the level of occupied floor space: no need for huge car parks which help to cut back on the available space and make the floors waterproof (with the consequences that we know) As customers stay on site only the transport time of their order, and that the organization of the system that there can not be more customers than the system can handle, the flow is "smoothed".

Then at the level of the store itself.
A supermarket is a huge covered area: a sales area that takes up a lot of space, because you need aisles that allow the carts to cross and displays of necessarily limited height. To which we add a stock which generally makes 1/4 of the sales area. Not to mention the box office space, and the various spaces and facilities essential for public safety.
From an energy point of view there is a huge waste in lighting, heating / air conditioning, and in refrigeration for dedicated displays (even if they are more and more equipped with doors many are still open)

In a drive we imagine that everything is optimized, that the stock is verticalized and automated which contributes to reducing the floor space.
That the cold rooms have optimum performance and insulation in order to be as economical as possible and that since customers do not need to access them, everything is done so that the preparation of orders does not lead to production of cold useless.
As the premises are smaller, and there is no product to showcase, the consumption of lighting and heating / air conditioning must be reduced to what is strictly necessary.

In short, I do not think I am wrong when I say that with equal sales capacity, a drive is more economical both in terms of energy and surface area.

I imagine that in the future, we will have a distribution focused around "drives" on the one hand, and small local area on the other hand, and that we will see the end of the large hypermarkets that we currently know.

What do you think ?
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 07/06/13, 15:58

It's the future.
And finished the products at the head of the gondola, more expensive than on the shelves.
The kids who claim everything they see.
No more last minute temptations.

But it's less human. We no longer meet anyone.
We become zombies.
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
Did67

by Did67 » 07/06/13, 16:09

As long as we have fuel for "driver", it deserves consideration.

It seems to me to be more of a job creator (whereas we feared the "electronic" cash register). Well, they're not fulfilling. But the factory, sorting mail, laying miles of macadams, etc ... either

This seems to me, in effect, to limit unnecessary impulse buying. Although I imagine that the sites will also expand in this direction, with "pop-ups" that will give you things that you had not thought of ...

It should not be forgotten that it flowers like mushrooms because they are officially entrepreneurs: a building permit is enough! While it is a hassle to open a new hyper! This is the essential reason for this anarchic development ... Obviously, they make us believe that it is only to do us a service.
Last edited by Did67 the 07 / 06 / 13, 21: 31, 1 edited once.
0 x
roy1361

by roy1361 » 07/06/13, 19:20

Hi,

With us there is this: http://www.leshop.ch/francais/supermarche_en_ligne.htm

There is no longer any need to travel and there is no longer one car per customer who drives, but a van that delivers lots of customers.

Without advertising, it's really good (especially for the heavy!)

A+
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/06/13, 21:29

At home, there were home deliveries. But I have the impression that it did not take off! ???

I'm not sure it's more "green" to give a car a tour that goes from customer to customer or to confuse everyone a little when they come home [the success of drives is to install in areas on the edge of peripherals, where most people pass during their regular trips]

It probably depends on the dispersion of customers (what average distance does the van travel from one customer to the next) and the density of drives (how much, on average, does a customer divert?)
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 07/06/13, 21:40

In my box. We have store / drive or home delivery.

A delivery day represents 100kms for 55 customers delivered.
A figure of 2000 € \ 2500 € day.
Or about 40 € / 45 € per customer.
If every customer goes to the store. It's huge in terms of fuel consumption and lost time.
I consume 14l of diesel / day soon 12. Reduced to 55clients I let you do the calculation when the first customer is 20 km from the store.
The results are very favorable.
It's outside the city. Semi urban.
Look for a city in ardeche: there is not.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/06/13, 22:05

plasmanu wrote:A delivery day represents 100kms for 55 customers delivered.

Ah yes ! There are more customers than I thought for less kilometers.

So that would be 2 km / customer.

So if customers make an average of less than 2 km of detour, it is the "drive" that wins. Otherwise, it's delivery.

I think that the majority of customers of a drive pass nearby. Others went to the supermarket, they continue but only save time ...

So the balance must be a little more complex ...
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 07/06/13, 22:47

Delivery is not the drive in my case; it's a tour, an area.
Otherwise it is an aberation. Too many kms traveled.

We do 30kms to 50kms or 70kms to be there and there we deliver.
We are very far from the store. It's not my case, but colleagues do.
They approach more than 200 km per day.
I'm in the store area.
Hence some customers who prefer the store to delivery. Less constraints.

You're right, everything is calculated. It is in everyone's interest.
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 08/06/13, 09:25

roy1361 wrote:There is no longer any need to travel and there is no longer one car per customer who drives, but a van that delivers lots of customers.

According to the stats of plusmanu it seems to me to be a winner on all fronts ... I wonder what the government will be able to find to prevent it from working! ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 08/06/13, 10:21

the drive occupies less of this and less of that ...

Except that very often, the drive is attached to a large "traditional" area, almost always of the same brand. It serves as a warehouse, disposes of a few unsold items; there are some synergies between the supermarket and the drive.

the drive is the simple extension of the hyperconsumption company, to buy even faster, with always more gray energy.

To buy a kg of salt, you will need: Internet + computer / mobile phone + car + road and motorway + trucks bringing the supplies with big shots of Diesel.

If you think about the materialistic chain required by Supermarket Drive, it is colossal, no doubt we will never exceed such a "level". It is oil and its overexploitation that lead to these perfectly artificial lifestyles.

But I concede that it can be handy for homo petroleum urbanibus : for example a mother with a large family does not have to drag her children to the shelves, an active bachelor does her shopping in 5 minutes ...

@+
Last edited by Remundo the 08 / 06 / 13, 11: 39, 1 edited once.
0 x