"In the land of nuclear power" - France 2 - September 17

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

"In the land of nuclear power" - France 2 - September 17

by Rulian » 09/09/09, 00:51

I'm back from the preview screening of the documentary "Au pays du nuclear", directed by Esther Hoffenberg, at the Café des Images in Hérouville St Clair. The film will be broadcast on France 2 on Thursday September 17 at 22pm on France 55.

This documentary aims to explore the daily life of people at Cape de la Hague, the most nuclearised region in the world. Interviews and meetings follow one after the other with residents, elected officials, college students, associations and nuclear workers, to paint a portrait of a community - shared between the economic windfall and the anxieties faced with persistent doubts - living with a nuclear industry as ubiquitous as it is taboo.

The director's neutral, very fine and very human approach allows for a dispassionate and fascinating look at the various nuclear issues, and especially the relationship that we all have with nuclear power. The film treats its subject very seriously while assuming a part of humor and some very "second degree" passages which sometimes make people laugh (yellow?)

The projection was followed by a very lively debate with the director, the producer, representatives of ACRO (Association for the Control of Radioactivity in the West) and the Villey-Desmeserets College in Caen. Note the coming (courageous, let's recognize him at least that) of the communication director of Areva. Many people engaged in the struggles around nuclear power in Normandy had moved and brought their contributions and testimonies.

Thank you and congratulations to Esther Hoffenberg for this excellent report, thank you to the Café des Images for this projection debate which was sold out, and thank you to France Television for programming for the second time this year an excellent report reopening the debate on nuclear in France (after the show Coin à Conviction "the scandal of contaminated France" on February 11 on France 3).

So all on your TV on Thursday September 17 at 22pm on France 55 for the broadcast of this report that should not be missed under any circumstances !! To see and to show!
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 09/09/09, 08:18

In addition to performing in front of the TV on October 3 and 4 there is this:
(copy pasted)

After the great success of the event
Berlin anti-nuclear (50 people)

"Getting out of nuclear power" calls for mobilization
October 3 and 4 in Colmar for the closing
from the Fessenheim power station (Haut-Rhin)

- The question of the lifespan of nuclear power plants is raised
with the case of the oldest in France, that of Fessenheim

- The full program for the two days can be viewed here:
http://www.fermons-fessenheim.org/spip.php?article1

- Group departures are organized all over France:
http://www.fermons-fessenheim.org/spip.php?rubrique35

The "Sortir du nuclear" Network welcomes the great success of the event which brought together more than 50 people on Saturday 000 September in Berlin, for the phase out of nuclear power. Whether in Germany or France, the incessant advertisements in favor of the atom do not manage to deceive public opinion: nuclear energy remains one of the most polluting energies and undoubtedly the most dangerous.

French nuclear power stations were originally planned to last a maximum of 30 years. The oldest, starting with that of Fessenheim (Alsace), are reaching this advanced age today ... but EDF and the pronuclear state want to extend their lifespan, aggravating the nuclear risk: a plant is always very dangerous, even brand new, but this risk increases even more over time.

Note, moreover, that the question cannot be resolved by the construction of new reactors because these will also end up becoming ... old reactors, perpetuating the problem. Even if it would have been better not to build nuclear reactors, or at least to shut them down in the meantime, there is now a real opportunity to take out of nuclear power, by shutting down the reactors when they reach 30 years of age .

A real nuclear disaster in France was grazed on several occasions, for example in 1969, 1980 and 1987 in St-Laurent (Loir-et-Cher) or in 1999 in Blayais (Gironde). Luck will not always be the order of the day: nuclear reactors must be shut down before the worst happens.

Shutting down nuclear reactors will also make it possible to stop producing radioactive waste that accumulates dramatically and for which there is no solution. We must also welcome the mobilization of associations and citizens who are defeating current attempts by the State to impose landfills for radioactive waste, which would be a real crime against current and future generations.

Saturday 3 and Sunday 4 October, citizens from all over France, but also from abroad (Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, etc.) will gather in Colmar to act with, in particular, a large demonstration Saturday October 3 (14 p.m. Place Rapp). The evening of October 3 and the day of October 4 will be devoted to conferences, debates, and artistic events.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/09/09, 09:54

An official link on FR2 can be? Is it in Infrared?
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 09/09/09, 12:35

Yes I think it's in Infrared.
But for now nothing on the show's website about 17 September.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/09/09, 22:15

It will start in 40 min ... but the IR stream is available on the official website I think ... so no stress!
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 17/09/09, 23:02

Damn it's now

you record i hope
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
koni26
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by koni26 » 18/09/09, 01:29

Hi,

Personally I think that nuclear power is a solution for the future, especially for worrying global warming.

Now to respond to Mr. getting out of nuclear power,

Why are we extending the life of power plants?
- Simply, the lifetime of a power plant is determined by the reactor vessel .. all the rest, they can replace it.

The metal in the tank, which is constantly monitored, exposed to radiation, becomes brittle and which could roughly become glass after hundreds and hundreds of years.

And apparently the engineers if they decided to extend the production of power plants by a few tens of years, it is because the regression is sufficiently small.

by doing this we avoid deconstructing, and reconstructing too much .. (which pollutes ..)

And for nuclear disasters, I can tell you that you would know all the safeguards put in place in a nuclear power plant, you would not even think for a moment that this could happen.

FYI if we collected all the highly radioactive waste,
it would stand on a soccer field for a height of 10m roughly.

Now in 500 years man has evolved extremely, highly radioactive waste, will be contained for thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years.
and I think that by then, we will have come up with a real solution for this problem.

By the way, the electricity consumption is higher and higher, and when we have all the electric cars on our roads, I can tell you that it is not with your wind turbines that we will supply everyone with electricity
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/09/09, 07:58

Capt_Maloche wrote:Damn it's now

you record i hope

Yes seen and recorded

It was not that interesting: we only talked about the La Hague factory and without a big "scoop" (I didn't learn much except that it's a taboo in the region to talk about nuke) :D) ... really long at times ... (sorry rulian) : Cheesy:

Economic aspects (among others for local municipalities) VS ecological aspects.

The economy allowing to close our eyes to certain ecological points ...

As usual with the nuke, we saw thousands of Greenpeace activists.

A more interesting testimony than the others: that of a former site manager of Areva (cogema at the time) who said that the construction job had been badly done (or rather was too little known at the time) and that this poses (will pose) problems ... which should be consolidated and improved but Areva is bumping into it ...

We also talk about the EPR (building site next door: that's good it concentrates the risks :D): 3.3 billion € for the "proto" ... that the "anti" would prefer (and for once I defend them) to be put in:
a) lower needs (insulation ...)
b) increasing energy efficiency (engine ...)
c) various renewable energies

Sarko has launched a second EPR project.

This doc. was filmed in early 2008 I think.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/09/09, 08:12

Chic yet a pro EdF lobbyist on forums :)

koni26 wrote:Personally I think that nuclear power is a solution for the future, especially for worrying global warming.

Fake nuclear fission will never provide more than 5% of PE worldwide ... so its impact will be almost zero ... It is exactly like those who think that the Franco-French carbon tax will save the global climate.

koni26 wrote:By the way, the electricity consumption is higher and higher, and when we have all the electric cars on our roads, I can tell you that it is not with your wind turbines that we will supply everyone with electricity

Still wrong ... your order of magnitude is piped up! Have you calculated it or are you taking a number out of your hat?

1 to 2 reactors would be enough to supply all the EVs of individuals ... provided that the load is spread (no peak) ...

But the best is to charge with solar PV directly from either: this is how we make fun of your bosses! Hihihi! But that "nobody" (among the high perches) obviously wants ...

See the discussion the car of the future

The electric consumption increases because there are too many people who equip themselves with heat pump and electric heating ... EdF sponsored the pro who installed convectors ... it may still be relevant!

Well, it would be interesting to have kWh / inhabitant per European country!

Otherwise to return to the subject of the subject, the report Nuclear RAS had interested me much more ... and intrigued!
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 18/09/09, 09:44

Christophe wrote:1 to 2 reactors would be enough to supply all the EVs of individuals ... provided that the load is spread (no peak) ...

But the best is to charge with solar PV directly from either: this is how we make fun of your bosses! Hihihi! But that "nobody" (among the high perches) obviously wants ...

Well here is another development topic for the association :D
autonomous charging of future electric vehicles

Capt_Maloche wrote:the new terminal niklobby is now online on the econology shop ...

Christophe wrote:...

Electricity consumption increases because there are too many people who equip themselves with a heat pump and in electric heating ... EdF sponsored the professionals who installed convectors ... it may still be topical!

YEP! it's funny, my ears are whistling : Cheesy: RRHHHOOO, it is very small my split system, I will consume electric kw.h to replace KW.h fuel oil

this will be true as long as there are old buildings that are poorly insulated and poorly insulated in any way and above all poorly oriented, and also simply poorly designed, therefore to be demolished
but here we are not going to renew the real estate stock for now, not to mention the "heritage" that must not be touched ...

So the CAP, it will sell because favored by EDF to justify new EPR (our shopping is our jobs, does that remind you of anything?)
Last edited by Capt_Maloche the 18 / 09 / 09, 09: 52, 2 edited once.
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"