Water injection at F1

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Hydraxon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Water injection at F1

by Hydraxon » 12/03/08, 16:25

Okay, I really don't know where to post it, sorry.

In the article: https://www.econologie.com/par-renault-a ... -2949.html

"From these initial successes, all the teams will follow Renault in turbo technology until it becomes essential from 1983. At the start of the 90s, Renault won the world title as an engine manufacturer for six years."

reading that, we understand that the titles were obtained by the turbo engine, right? By the way, there is no motorist title, the teams powered by Renault have had the manufacturer title.

Note that one of the engines from the 90s had a water injected cylinder head, but I have no idea what it was used for.
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Water injection in F1 cars

by Chatham » 12/03/08, 17:48

Hydraxon wrote:
Note that one of the engines from the 90s had a water injected cylinder head, but I have no idea what it was used for.

no doubt to avoid toasting the engine in qualifying with the boost pressure fully (over 1000hp) ... knowing that at the end it developed 870hp during the race: not bad for a 1500cc ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 12/03/08, 18:57

Hello

We must not compare the injection of water mist in the aircraft engines of the last war and competition in formula 1 with our water doping ..

In competitions, injecting water mist, the temperature is lowered at the end of compression, which allows the engine to be supercharged even more without self-ignition due to high temperatures depending on the fuel.
For these same reasons they use high octane fuel or methanol.

In the case of the BF109 Gustav cella planes allowed the use of the compressor at low altitude with a water injection, it should also be known that the German fuel of that time was less good than the American fuel.
The recipe for high octane fuel is owed to a Frenchman who moved to the USA after having tried to develop his method of catalyzing in Europe where the Europeans showed little interest in its discovery (apart from in margarine). .

For water doping, it is not a water mist injection
it is water vapor and its role is not to allow the engines to run with higher compressions, nor the search for higher power per liter, but rather a smoother operation and fuel economy
The system is more efficient on diesel engines

Andre
0 x
Hydraxon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Water injection in F1 cars

by Hydraxon » 12/03/08, 19:10

Chatham wrote:no doubt to avoid toasting the engine in qualifying with the boost pressure fully (over 1000hp) ... knowing that at the end it developed 870hp during the race: not bad for a 1500cc ... : Mrgreen:

I said: in the 90s. However, the Renault engine at the time was not a turbo, or if it is, Renault has nothing to be proud of having won the championship. Turbos were banned when the Williams-Renault won the titles.
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"