Old diesel road: usable?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Old diesel road: usable?

by Christophe » 05/03/07, 11:48

I send you a question that I received by e-mail because I think it might be of interest to people (both the questions and the answers).

I have a small reserve of road diesel of about 100 liters (having paid the taxes) in a plastic tank located under the ground, in a masonry and closed tank.

This for about 30/35 years.

I would like to know =

1) if this diesel is still active in the sense of its possible use in my car?

2) what precautions should be taken for its transfer (risk of explosion or fire)?

3) what do you advise me to definitively release this tank?

My answers (to be completed if you have other ideas):

1) Yes, unlike gasoline, GO keeps much better over time. However, I advise you to mix it up to 40 to 50% with new GO because its sulfur content is undoubtedly much higher than the current GO. In addition, it must not contain current additives.

I also think that using more than 30% in an HDi is not recommended.

2) No special precautions, it "handles" like heating oil. The risk of fire is low unless you have a strong heat source nearby.

3) There is not much else to do with oil tanks than to store oil. Especially since if the tank is only 100L its capacity is very small. I advise you to empty it and condemn it...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/03/07, 13:04

sorry Christophe, I would be more categorical than you

1) at the price where interventions on vehicles are, I think it is better to use this oil for heating, or else in an engine over 10 years old, so much the worse for the "lost" 50 euros (I especially fear the "bottom" of the tank"

2) as the tank is small, I think it would even be better to remove it "for the benefit of future generations"
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/03/07, 18:33

Yes elephant except that GO which "stays in place" does not contain humidity (at least no more than that of the air in the tank). Otherwise I hadn't really thought about the deposits...

Here is the respondent's email response

Thank you very much for your answer, which is reassuring and even encouraging.
I went on your forum, or I noted the same answer, as well as that of 'Elephant Suprême econologist' inviting me not to use this diesel oil?
I had also thought of this story of latent humidity, to possibly pump only the area located say 10 cms from the bottom, in order to avoid water.
I admit that between these two arguments, I hesitate, not wanting for the sake of economy, to damage the engine of my car which is not an Hdi (Opel Corsa diesel)
Regarding handling (transfer) there is indeed a heat source not very far (5 meters / city gas heating boiler) but I
do not consider transferring until after the heating season, i.e. in about 2 months, boiler off.
If I do not abuse your kindness, is it certain that as the level drops and is replaced by air, there is really no risk?
explosion?
It is obvious that once the tank is emptied, I will remove it to give it away or sell it, because I no longer want it there.
Once again thank you for these very precious advices for me, and for answering me by this mail, because I cannot establish the connection elsewhere!!
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 06/03/07, 00:20

Hello
Son rolls in potato oil mixed with diesel
he bought an old tank half full of 900 liters of old diesel he passed it all.. mixed with frying.
You have to avoid stirring it, the bottom is all rusty but it deposits well, now the tank is full of its stock of oil..
Old diesel oil becomes almost transparent like petroleum and it smells of kerosene, it no longer smells the same as fresh diesel oil.
The background, for example, is rather rusty red.
Andre
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/03/07, 11:56

With his permission, I share with you the 2 answers of the person concerned:

Good evening Mr Martz,
As promised although a little late, I come to give you my CR
I first asked advice from a dozen people (service stations, diesel delivery people, Opel, repairers)
The opinions are all practically different, and none, unlike you, was formal.
I also interviewed a heating engineer (not mine so as not to embarrass him, but that of a friend)
His immediate response and without having seen anything is worth his weight in fuel, here is =
......your diesel is dead and no longer worth anything. I know someone who can get rid of it for you for a flat rate of around 100 Euros ( paid in cash ) and he
removes the tank as a bonus for free........!!!!
So I decided to take your advice and took the plunge (so to speak!)
After turning off my boiler, I first transferred the tank to two jerrycans, taking care to pump only the top.
Then I filled two small containers each of 5 liters.
And I emptied one in my car tank so to speak full of normal and recent diesel (about 40 liters)
Result = everything is fine.....RAS
One hundred kilometers further, I emptied the other, which puts the old intake at 10 liters for a total capacity of 40 liters, or about 25%
Result = everything is fine.....RAS
In a hundred kilometres, I'll empty a 3rd, maybe after a 4th?
And if all goes well, I will wait until my vehicle tank is practically at zero, to go to the pump, fill it up and top it up at home with a 20-litre jerrycan of old diesel.... ..and so on until stock runs out.
I would like to thank you once again for your valuable advice, which has proven to be accurate.
Sincerely

Mr Martz hello

Confidence for confidence, where I was the most worried, and I still am a little, remains the danger of explosion and, or fire, as the air replaces the liquid in the tank.
Agreed ........ I will limit myself to 10 / 15 liters maximum of old GO for a full franc.
Not only do I authorize you to share this experience on your forums, which represents a minimum of recognition, but also to stipulate how comforting it is to find qualified correspondents, when you have a problem to solve, which is your case.
Sincerely
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"