Flame temperature of a lighter

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

Flame temperature of a lighter

by Christophe » 19/09/06, 13:21

As expected and following a question on another topic, I measured (with the ITC-777's K probe) the flame temperature of 2 lighters:

1) "Normal" yellow flame lighter: flame temperature between 800 and 1000 ° C. The highest T ° is, contrary to what one might think, not at the "blue" base but in the upper yellow part of the flame.

2) Blue flame "storm" lighter: 900 to 1000 ° C.

In both cases, the K probe becomes "Red" after 2 to 3 seconds.

The "storm" lighter is refillable with a gas coil which is butane. I'm assuming this is the same fuel (or mixed with propane) for the other lighter.
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 19/09/06, 15:59

Hello
1) "Normal" yellow flame lighter: flame temperature between 800 and 1000 ° C. The highest T ° is, contrary to what one might think, not at the "blue" base but in the upper yellow part of the flame.

Most of the flame the temperature is at the end of the sting
in my flame measurements I use the thermocouple in the flame and it is always towards the end of the flame that there is the highest temperature.
another method for those who do not have a thermocouple
it is to put a wire in the flame and look for the point where it becomes illuminating like a filament.
A note is not a blue flame that releases the most heat, it is at the end of the transparent yellow flame, depending on the fuel ...

Andre
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 03/02/12, 19:47

Good evening everyone, I'm looking for curiosity, the temperature that could reach the coal?
Non-forced combustion, "brazier" or stove type use and draft regulated to the minimum vital ...

Knowing that: its PCI (Lower Calorific Value) is between 9 and 9.7 kWh / kg and that of dry wood 5kWh / kg

Thanks to whoever can answer me

Meow :P

For Christophe, I did not want to create a post for this question, I seek to slip into something existing and close to the subject, kiss!
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 03/02/12, 20:15

it is not the calorific value that makes the maximum temperature: it is the concentration of the combustion zone

for example, the wood has a calorific value close to charcoal, but does not make a very high temperature: it makes a large flame not concentrated

conversely the charcoal does not make a flame: all the heat is released punctually, and even better the more the flow of air increases the power increases ... unlike the wood that goes out if you blow too hard

charcoal melts iron while blowing hard enough

with coal it is the same thing: it does not give high temperature: it must be distilled to make coke that behaves like charcoal
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 03/02/12, 20:59

Thanks for the nice info, but that does not really answer my question ...

What would be the surface temperature of a piece of coal that burns in a fireplace ???

0 x

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 03/02/12, 21:19

Chat read! : Mrgreen:

Bein say so, it's a pay ... Happy New Year!

You missed the thread on evolution and chance ... I thought you would intervene : Cry:

Bienreviendu :P
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 03/02/12, 21:36

no worries we will see each other more often in the near future, I hope and anyway ...
.... GOOD YEAR to ALL and LONG LIFE
at................................................. .................................................. ................. ECONOLOGY !!!

0 x

chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 03/02/12, 22:47

for the maximum temperature of the charcoal, any depand of the speed of the air

if the bottom of the fireplace is completely clogged by I do not know what and all the draw goes through a small hole it can go up to 1500 ° C

fortunately in a normal home it's more reasonable, but that's also why a home should not be done no matter how

the color makes it possible to estimate the temperature:
just bright red in the dark it's 500 ° C
red orange is 1000 ° C, running with a good draw
white 1300 ° C exceptional in ordinary home
dazzling 1500 ° C ... melting iron ... running in my burner has pad, with an electric blowing ... it vitrifies the ash
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 06/02/12, 09:55

That feels the answer to my question there!

But I specify that I use real coal, anthracite to be precise, that polue can be more but it also heats very strong, with 9 9.7kWh / kg against 5 for wood ...
Another advantage, the charcoal burns continuously during 16H00 continuously (for an anthracite load of 10kg)
The stove reaches most of the time 250 ° C on the surface! (measured with a carrot termometer in oil bath for barbecue)

The ash vitrifies this and therefore produces "clinker" at 1500 ° C according to you!
And so the coal is heating at its temperatures there often, so absent for 10h00 and that the ash was not drained by me, I have to shovel machefer and am obliged to let the fire die to clean all the stove :?

It also occurs at the end of the combustion of the coal and in the condition of "coal suspended in the ash" a phenomenon of overheating of each parcel of coal which resembles the extinction of a sun (poetic, is it not? ?) and that's when the temperature soars - each piece of coal reaching its peak of heat - in an impressive white-yellow glow

Would we reach the 2000 ° at that moment ????

The iron mache is very hard, shiny, brittle like glass, cutting just as much, and magnetizable (albeit very slightly) and it contains all kinds of crystals of different colors and sizes, which is very curious to observe!

Thank you and meow :P
0 x

chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 06/02/12, 13:53

the machefer is produced at a lower temperature according to the chemical composition of the ash, no need for 1500 ° C

it is called machefer because it destroys iron by dissolving it and melting at a temperature where the iron should not melt

I saw industrial boilers where the ashtray was intentionally flooded, so that the ash falls into the water and makes steam, which limits the temperature of the hearth and avoids destroying too quickly the grids

the steam does not lose energy, it absorbs energy at the grid to decompose into hydrogen, and makes this energy a little higher in the flame or hydrogen burns
0 x

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"