Please read "Fill it up".

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

Please read "Fill it up".

by nonoLeRobot » 21/08/06, 16:02

I find free by Jean Marc Jancovici excellent!

For those who read it (for others, read the : Mrgreen: ) I would like to know what they think of it, the errors that there would be etc.

I finally find him optimistic (for once that a book on energy is not completely depressing) while remaining realistic and above all by being intelligent.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/08/06, 16:19

I know Rulian read it ... I'm not ... it's not good for morale ... : Cheesy:
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 21/08/06, 16:22

No, my morale has gone up a bit, there is hope, I will lend it to you if you want :-) but read it !!! : Evil:
0 x
AVEVA
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

full

by AVEVA » 21/08/06, 16:56

Response to nono (extract of manicor ...)

Whoever does nothing does no nonsense, says the saying. We did "full", and therefore also wrote some nonsense! Here are the errors that should be corrected (the page numbers refer to the original paperback edition, not to the future pocket edition). This erratum of course does not concern the "lacks" that we can regret to find in this work, because the finitude of the world also applies to the number of ideas that it is possible to expose in a book of 200 pages.

Page 50: mortality on Earth is around 150.000 daily deaths (a little less than 1% of the world population dies every year), and not 50.000 (source INED). This represents a little over 6.000 deaths per hour, and as a result, Katrina represents only 10 minutes of additional mortality (and not 30 minutes), and the tsunami of 2005 a large day of additional deaths (and not 4 days) .
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 21/08/06, 18:12

I read it.

Hmm, we are not necessarily pessimistic after reading it.
What I missed in the book is that it flies over the alternatives that are named as tech gadgets. Or do I have to read it again?
0 x
AVEVA
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Full

by AVEVA » 21/08/06, 18:41

The alternative solutions are well understood in the work "Life after oil" by Jean-Luc Wingert Ed. Otherwise
Please note that 'Le Plein' will appear in paperback, the price of the book will probably be less than 18 €!
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 21/08/06, 19:19

freddeau wrote:Hmm, we are not necessarily pessimistic after reading it.
What I missed in the book is that it flies over the alternatives that are named as tech gadgets. Or do I have to read it again?

That's what is good (well I found) is that it is rather optimistic ultimately and it gives hope, the desire to embark on projects etc ... When with alternative techniques, I think that the purpose of the book is to show that they will only be useful if you have the will to consume less and he develops how to have this will and not how to do it once you have it (Econology is very good for having the solutions once you have the will).

Because this is the old problem, even if we had a car that consumes 2 times less we would drive more than 2 times more (effect known as rebound effect )
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 21/08/06, 21:11

Yes the book is good and the solution "taxed even more all that is fossil fuel is the solution", I can hardly believe it.

Pass it in front of the lobby of truckers, highways, builders and so on and better.

Unless you start now for 2007, there is some persuasiveness to be had.

I heard on the news that Segolene was announcing the release of petroleum, this is a good idea.

As for the book "Life after Oil", I find it better because it has at least precise figures to oppose to discredit what is called "technological gadgets", M Jancovici.
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 21/08/06, 21:44

I did not know him, maybe I'll suddenly he looks interesting. But the solutions proposed do not seem very different:
link It is a relocation of the markets. Produce near places of consumption. And it is as quickly as possible, "the taxation of oil" says the author: 30% to finance the revolution towards sobriety. It is therefore a real awareness ... But today all political and economic systems continue to live as if black gold were inexhaustible.
0 x
bioman14
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bioman14 » 22/08/06, 00:36

Christophe wrote:I know Rulian read it ... I'm not ... it's not good for morale ... : Cheesy:

there is a lot of humor, even if the background is sad to cry, but that we already knew.

the most interesting, in my opinion, is that it dissects the economic indicators of our "(pseudo) well-being", like GDP, to demonstrate that they are totally distorted by the absence of taking into account the dilapidation of our heritage the limited natural resources of our unique environment.
It is a formulation far from the ecological-soixanthuitard discourses, of the greenpeace kind, which could reach a wider public more sensitive to mathematical analyzes than to small flowers.

but it will not affect everyone either .... my wife to find this very technical and therefore airtight. but we were in conflict on the subject at the time, I think I pointed it out ...
all the difficulty is there: not pointed.

a+
0 x
if I say something stupid, tell me, but kindly and politely.

Go back to "Fossil energies: oil, gas, coal and nuclear electricity (fission and fusion)"