ITER exceeded before time by the JAEA?

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Christophe

ITER exceeded before time by the JAEA?

by Christophe » 21/07/06, 17:34

A new blow for ITER or intoxication? Source: Reuters or AFP.

The Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) announced Friday that it has taken a crucial technical step for the ITER international controlled nuclear fusion experimental reactor project.

The JAEA has managed to maintain a plasma discharge for 1.000 seconds, while ITER has set itself the goal of maintaining it for only 400 seconds, it said in a statement.

Nuclear fusion reactions take place in the state of plasma, the fourth state of matter (after liquid, solid and gas).

To create a plasma, atoms must be broken down into their basic constituents: positively charged electrons and nuclei. To this end, it is necessary to reach a temperature of 100 million degrees using a microwave heating system, which gives rise to fusion reactions between a deuterium nucleus and a tritium nucleus .

By creating a plasma discharge of 1.000 seconds, the Japanese laboratory has therefore largely exceeded the ITER objective of 400 seconds, and "a new step has been taken towards the success of the experiment" that will constitute an international reactor, the JAEA is congratulated.

The controlled nuclear fusion that will be implemented in ITER consists in trying to reproduce the conditions of energy production that exist in the sun.

The construction of the reactor at Cadarache (south of France) will take ten years. The project, which runs until 2035, aims to validate the possibility of producing large quantities of energy from nuclear fusion.

Japan had applied to obtain this site, but the participating countries (European Union, Russia, China, Japan, South Korea, United States, India) finally chose the French site in mid-2005 after long months of negotiations.
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 21/07/06, 18:09

A priori, it is rather a good point for ITER insofar as Japan participates in the project.
0 x
Ligerien
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Ligerien » 21/07/06, 18:30

Econology wrote:The Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) announced Friday that it has taken a crucial technical step for the ITER international controlled nuclear fusion experimental reactor project.

The JAEA has managed to maintain a plasma discharge for 1.000 seconds, while ITER has set itself the goal of maintaining it for only 400 seconds, it said in a statement.

I went for a walk out of curiosity on the JAEA website, and in particular on pages dedicated to the merger. This news does not appear there yet. The last information on containment times dates from May 9 (link), for a period of only 28 seconds presented as a "world record"; this duration could be obtained by installing ferromagnetic tiles on the internal wall of the chamber, thus improving the regularity of the magnetic field inside the plasma.

I think they will update their site soon; this will then allow us to get a more precise idea of ​​the conditions under which this confinement period was obtained, in particular if there are technological innovations compared to the duration obtained in May.

In any case, this should not be seen as a "blow to ITER", insofar as the JAEA collaborates in the project; advances made on one side will normally be reflected on the other.

Update :
Detailed explanations of recent experiments can be found in this document.
0 x
Ligerien
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Ligerien » 01/10/06, 10:21

The link indicated above to the May 2006 article is no longer usable; he was replaced by thereof.
0 x
lug
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

process

by lug » 27/10/06, 00:24

iter would be a reactor that would recycle radioactive materials produced by my power plant reactors;
I only had partial information because we are not told everything to avoid the raising of shields, but it would be a solution to make trasmutations of very dangerous radioactive elements

For the moment, recycling is done with a process using nitric acid (production of uranium nitride) which, once reprocessed, gives enriched uranium

I take that from my memories of lab technician, but if someone has details to provide me, I have an insatiable curiosity, even if it is an ugly defect lol

lug
0 x
for our children, let them cleaner air and land without waste
dreamer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by dreamer » 07/01/07, 12:01

In the title of the subject we almost feel that Japan would be in competition with Iter: /

Otherwise "which, once reprocessed, gives enriched uranium" => therefore we reuse the waste from power plants? Pq are we making all this hay then?

Dreamer
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: iterate

by Cuicui » 07/01/07, 19:45

lug wrote:iter would be a reactor that would recycle radioactive materials produced by my power plant reactors; lug

: Shock: : Shock: : Shock:
From what little I know, Iter is used to develop techniques to confine a plasma in order to find later the means of obtaining the fusion of light atoms like deuterium-tritium to produce energy. To my knowledge, ITER is not intended to process heavy radioactive products from uranium fission plants.
On the other hand, in an assembly of the z-machine type, the very high temperatures obtained (several billion degrees) can possibly transmute the material, and perhaps treat a few grams of radioactive waste. In the immediate future, this is not yet what will eliminate the thousands of tonnes of irradiated waste. Above all, it is necessary to stop producing them and invest in z-pinch (hydrogen-boron fusion) plants that are very little radioactive.
Last edited by Cuicui the 08 / 01 / 07, 01: 49, 2 edited once.
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 07/01/07, 19:53

cuicui, you seem to viment to know you there in nuclear. One can know ? if secret, you can answer in MP, but you don't have to.
Are your sensors still working well this winter?

Hello.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: top

by Cuicui » 08/01/07, 01:41

jean63 wrote:cuicui, you seem to viment to know you there in nuclear. One can know ? if secret, you can answer in MP, but you don't have to. Are your sensors still working well this winter? Hi.

Hi, Jean63
Well, no, I don't know anything about nuclear power, just generalities that everyone can learn by reading. I have never been good at physics. But I'm a bit interested in everything.
My sensors still work well, I do not care, except to replenish the water level every 2 months (just a tap to open and close for a few seconds). But when there is no sun for several days, you have to light the large fireplace (with recuperator) to top up with hot water, and burn the precious firewood whose cutting has cost me a lot of stiffness (you must know something!).
0 x