Opel Manta

Edits and changes to engines, experiences, findings and ideas.
Mantalenker
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Opel Manta

by Mantalenker » 26/04/08, 18:17

Hello everybody

I am from Alsace and I am interested recently in the Pantone engine.
I am a collector and I own two Opel Manta that I would like to modify.
They have 1800cc gasoline engines with dual body carburetors.
I would like to know if it is possible to install the Pantone system on such an engine and, if so, how should I go about it.
I start in the middle.

We look forward to seeing you!
Matt.
0 x
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher

by PITMIX » 27/04/08, 09:16

Hello and welcome to you.
I invite you to look closely at the forum about the subject that interests you because you will find schemas and explanations.
For your car there is nothing complicated. Make your exchanger by placing the reactor as close as possible to the exhaust manifold in an elbow of the exhaust downspout. Image
Installs an instantaneous steam generator around the double-walled exhaust, fed by a constant-level float.
video test at the workshop click here
On my R5 I had the steam aspirate above the first body of the carburetor just above the venturi. You can also use the breather pipes (with caution) or you can also introduce the steam directly through the intake manifold (with regulation depending on the acceleration).
The air / fuel ratio is modified by the addition of water vapor. You will have to readjust your carburation. Normally you will be able to lower your setting compared to normal. The setting will be too poor if you drive without a reactor, but it will be good with.
0 x
Mantalenker
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mantalenker » 28/04/08, 10:45

We look forward to seeing you!

But I still have trouble understanding the system. I wanted to know if it was possible on my engine before I started inside.
Now that I am fixed, I will study all this a little more seriously
I have not yet understood the difference between the rod and the exchanger ... : Cheesy: and much more. There are already specific terms that have settled on this site and deserve some attention before continuing.

Matt
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 28/04/08, 16:42

Hello
For me the exchanger is the reactor as a whole. It is a tube inserted in the exhaust and inside which one has a rod. GVI is an Instant Steam Generator.
To operate a reactor in good condition it must be fed with water in the form of fog.
The basic system uses a bubbler. It generates water vapor by exchange with the coolant (most commonly).
We can also use water sprayers that we call venturi or water carbo instead of bubbler.
And lately some of us have adopted the GVi.
This is a small double-walled pipe that allows heat to be exchanged with the exhaust.
The operation is identical to that of a coffee maker, it can greatly reduce the size of the system compared to the bubbler and eliminating some defects of water carbs.
0 x
Mantalenker
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mantalenker » 02/05/08, 20:29

Thank you for these explanations, I see a little clearer.
I already have a first problem: I have a longitudinal engine, so the exhaust does not go under the engine. This means that there is no vertical exhaust pipe after the manifold. The cylinders are grouped in pairs and the two ducts meet under the car. I only have a horizontal exhaust. Does it still work in this case?

Matt
0 x
jime
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jime » 02/05/08, 22:05

Good evening

yes it is possible I made such a montage, flat, on my vehicle.It is necessary to know how many cm of the engine 2 tubes meet in the y, my reactor is mounted 70-80 cm exhaust manifold
0 x
Mantalenker
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mantalenker » 05/05/08, 21:10

The two outlets meet at 60 cm and I then have a length of 60 cm horizontal line before the flamebreaker (the first relaxation pot is called like that on the Manta). I think I'll have a lot of tubing to do until admission : Shock: . However I have as much space as I want under the hood, we can fit a toolbox on each side of the engine.

Matt
0 x
jime
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by jime » 05/05/08, 21:18

it must be taken into account that the tubes between the reactor and the intake must be as short as possible for a better yield.

So 20cm I think it is excellent and 80 cm it will be tolerable, maybe up to 1m, in my case I have a big sixty cm between the reactor and the air intake

a+
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 05/05/08, 22:45

Hello
You should make a diagram or a picture of your engine and exhaust so that we can help you even better.
But there is no problem to install a reactor in a straight part of the exhaust.
The key is to have a maximum of heat and do not over obstruct the exhaust.
0 x