Biogas question

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
jenviro2
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Biogas question

by jenviro2 » 23/10/09, 14:52

Who can tell me a little question about biogas (formula = CO2 + CH4)? We can burn the methane to heat up but what can we do for the CO2? What is the proportion of CO2 (in volume or mass) compared to methane, 50%?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/10/09, 10:05

The objective of anaerobic digestion is to increase the share of methane CH4 (= natural gas) and to minimize that of CO². For this fermentation is done in a closed tank, protected from O² (however, there is always a little CO², among others because a part of the biomass contains O atoms). But normally, we get more CH4 (60% wholesale).

The CH4 burns (that is to say that the atoms of C and the atoms of H combine with the O atoms of the air to give respectively CO² and H20 and energy)

CO² is "inert" in this matter (since it is already an oxidized form of carbon).

So, in practice, you do not get the two separately, but a mixture of two gases that are not separated. The mixture is burned. In the case, the CO² does not react (no more than the nitrogen contained in the air and which passes through for example a combustion engine) ... The CH4 burns and gives the energy ... Result: from the heat (energy), CO² (that contained initially + that produced by combustion) and water vapor ...

This works in a gas stove or in a cogeneration engine (electricity production + heat released by the engine: hot water).
0 x