Alternative fuel: the acetylene Mongé system

crude vegetable oil, diester, bio-ethanol or other biofuels, or fuel of vegetable origin ...
Christophe

Alternative fuel: the acetylene Mongé system

by Christophe » 30/09/08, 20:57

Extract from the collection of Casimir Cépède, biologist. The article dates from 1940! It lacks technical details but apparently it would be a system that would generate acetylene (C2H2) in the vehicle to then transform it into another gas (?) Using alcohol ... A chambrin system before the hour?

The article does not say how acetylene is generated ...

What is the unit km.horse? I find it hard to grasp ... a car with an instantaneous power of 20 hp making 2 km therefore consumes 20 * 2 = 40 km.cv?

0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 30/09/08, 21:49

Hello, to my knowledge acetylene was commonly used at the time for vehicle lighting! So we sold carbide, which we immersed in water, which we moistened?

In the user, the carbide reacts with water to produce acetylene.

CaC2 + 2 H2O → C2H2 + Ca (OH) 2 + 31 calories
I saw them burn in lamps in the street (in India) 30 years ago, it lights up in an incredible way ...

I don't know where we can get it but I know that we still still use it for caving ...

:P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 01/10/08, 11:14

Hello,
The production of calcium carbide is extremely energy consuming, it is necessary to reach the melting point of the two components.
http://usan.free.fr/spip/article.php3?id_article=53
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/10/08, 11:28

Bravo Lietseu you saw right, in this article, that I have just become the same person again, he speaks well of a reaction with Calcium carbide to make acetylene. Image

According to the Bibi link (although there is no detail of the energy cost per tonne of CaC2) We therefore come back to the same problem as a sodium engine or one that makes H2 with aluminum ...

No future but interesting anyway :) I am still surprised by the very low operating costs announced by the inventor ... since CaC2 is energyvore therefore the complete energy loop less interesting (therefore more expensive) than oil ... a priori.

I am wrong?
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 01/10/08, 13:07

Hello,
There are hardly any carbide production factories left, already you have to do cocking to be able to produce them, carbon footprint Image
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 01/10/08, 16:15

: Arrow: Calcium carbide was indeed commonly used for lighting. We still often find in flea markets and garage sales acetylene devices therefore operating on calcium carbide.
The most common are portable lamps for lighting (on farms), blowtorches and also scaring cannons like the one below.
The carbide and the water are enclosed in a sealed container but separated in 2 separate containers. The water flows over the carbide by gravity, either through a "metering" valve or (in the case of the barrel above) through a "wick" which soaks in the water of the reservoir located above the carbide tank.
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 01/10/08, 16:41

Yes that's how I imagined the thing, thank you citro, this is info Image

So I also have no idea what the carbide costs? nor elsewhere where to find it ...

But it looks a little bit on the Internet we should find I think 8)

I don't have much merit, eh, Christophe, I was born in 1958 anyway and my father in 1915 so ...
As we were both crazy about mechanics (me more than him, by the way) we can't do it again : Mrgreen:

Greetings to all from Lietseu :P
0 x

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 01/10/08, 17:00

: Arrow: By recovering the barrel, I did not recover the carbide box because it was all rusty ...
My grandfather bought it from the agricultural cooperative ... but it was over 20 years ago ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/10/08, 17:06

: Shock: What the hell were the scaring cannons used for? Big scarecrows?
Last edited by Christophe the 08 / 10 / 08, 17: 37, 1 edited once.
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 08/10/08, 17:27

Well, it's smart :D

it was to scare away (we thought) the birds that ate and still eat, the grains :D

The problem is that it scared away the insectivorous birds too :?
But don't worry, they didn't leave for long!
Are not all so stupid as we think : Lol:

Hello from Lietseu, the friend of birds, of all living, as long as they are not "stupid" or "wicked" :P

ps: yesterday, I saw a doc on the reintroduction of Nighthawks, birds of meadows and fields, hunted, almost exterminated for their damage in cereals, when in fact, the menu of its pretty little beasts ... are the crickets and other insect pests of ... cereals
Last edited by Lietseu the 08 / 10 / 08, 17: 29, 1 edited once.
0 x